Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Cranleigh Boutique(Bowness-on-Windermere)
View Hotel
The Burn How Garden House Hotel(Bowness-on-Windermere)
View Hotel
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa(Bowness-on-Windermere)
  • Restaurant
Craig Manor Hotel(Windermere)
  • Restaurant
Hillthwaite(Windermere)
1,542 results
All reviewslake viewbeautiful hotelmain restaurantafternoon teadrawing roomswimming poolbuffet stylelake districtcourse mealcoffee machinecream teasconeshigh standardreception areafantastic viewscar parkmy partner
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stayed in April & was very disappointed with our room. Tiny, shabby & dirty. So the Manager gave us a free return this July. They certainly went the extra mile to try to make amends. They gave us a four poster suite with stunning lake view. The restaurant is excellent and has a fantastic view of the lake.
In general the hotel is in need of some TLC & maintenance but it is in an idyllic location.
The staff were all polite & attentive.

Room Tip: If you can, pay the extra & have a lake view room. The view is stunning.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Debbie A
Joseph_Cobb, Deputy General Manager at Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased to hear that on your return visit to the Belsfield that you found the restaurant to be excellent. We have recently introduced a new Head Chef who brings a clear focus on food quality. He has an fantastic culinary background and attention to detail which is shining through with some of the new dishes on our menu.

The location of the building is often described as idyllic and i am pleased to read that you thought the same. With the hotel being a stones throw from the Lake, we have fantastic views of the Lake and fells beyond. We are also fortunate to be a number of yards away from all of the local shops.

Thank you once again for your review and hopefully we can welcome you here again in the future.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Belsfield in late May 2013, and due to time constraints I'm only just getting time to write a review.

We were taking a trip to the Belsfield as much-needed respite as we have a daughter with additional needs and find it very hard to get any time to ourselves, especially as she struggles with sleep at night.

I'm pleased to say that the Belsfield offered exactly what we were needing. Set upon a grassy hill, over looking the majestic Lake Windemere, the Belsfield had the most spectacular views of the lake. The package we booked included a meal in the evening and breakfast, and the food was absolutely astounding. Truly delicious and fresh main courses and desserts, and an all you can eat breakfast offering everything from cereals, fruit, yoghurts, to sausages, beans, fried toast and jams.

The dining room and interior in general is really quite grand. I've read a few reviews that state it is "dated" but it's dated in a traditional sense, and takes absolutely nothing away from the overall atmosphere of the building. I'm unsure of the history of this building, and maybe I'm just not used to fancy hotels, but I was in awe of the Belsfield architecturally. The car park and gardens were lush and floral, with ample space to sit in peace and enjoy the view.

I especially loved the outside drinking/dining area, directly positioned with perfect lake views. Lit by candle lanterns in the evening, and having the chance to still order drinks past 10pm made for quite a magical experience. Once the crowds had dissipated and the lake was calm, we found relaxation with a glass of wine on the outside terrace.

As for the rooms, we were given a "family" room, which really blew me away when I opened the door to what I should really describe as a suite. A large but simple living room with TV, sofa, storage cupboard (including iron, board, spare bed, board games, fan, clothes hanging space) which then lead into a lovely and large bedroom with yet another tv (!), bed, writing desk and then of course a separate bathroom including a bath and complimentary bits and bobs.

My main thought when we arrived in our room was that this would actually make the ideal place to stay with out daughter. As she struggles with sleeping, having the option of a suite with a bedroom and separate room where we could watch TV after she's gone to bed would be brilliant for us. And apparently there's a swimming pool, which I never did actually use but know my daughter would be overjoyed on a rainy day being able to go swimming!

I was also pleased to find that room service ran well into the night, providing us with night cap and a couple of bag of crisps... Not very sophisticated but we still felt decadent having the option to order up some treats!

The staff were friendly, helpful and kind, room service in terms of cleaning was spot on, so nice to come back to a fresh bed and towels each day.

Overall I fell in love with the Belsfield. The price was reasonable, I felt looked after, relaxed and sated by staying there, and that's all we really wanted. The building and grounds are extensive and in my humble opinion, very grand, and I can't wait to visit again, this time with our daughter.

Room Tip: Family suite really is perfect for kids, with a separate bedroom and lounge. The breakfast is ideal for filling up before going exploring. The dinner was delicious and well presented, if you can get it included in a deal do indulge in dining here!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pony S

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased to read that you had such an enjoyable stay and that you found the hotel to be grand and great. The Belsfield was built in the 1800's for a Baroness who's one stipulation was that she demanded one of the best views in the area. As a result, as you mention, the view is incredible and a number of guests have said this is the best view from any hotel in the area.

I am glad to hear that you found the food to be outstanding. We have recently brought a new chef in to our team and there is emphasis now on food quality. With all dishes being sourced from local produce and attention to detail, most guests have really enjoyed the change in our menu.

The family room that you enjoyed is another factor that we are lucky to possess. We currently have a number of family rooms, suites and other desireable room and have a total of 25 rooms that share the fantastic view of Lake Windermere.

Once again, thank you for your kind review and hopefully we can look forward to welcoming you back to the Belsfield in the future.

Reviewed 20 July 2013

recently stayed, had a generous lake view room. to wake in the morning and have tea looking at the spectacular view was amazing. some areas do need attention but theoverall faded grandure and sophistication is quite quaint. staff are allways extremely helpful, albert, sally ian x 2 to name just a few. the dinning rooms elegance is mared by the plain woodedn tables, tablescloths would add to the overal grandness that has previously been my delight to enjoy. The bar area could be improved, needs to be bigger and a coffee shop with a barista would be ideal. so come on corous get your finger out an dstart improving what could be an elgant jewel in corus,s crown.

Room Tip: a lake view room is a must to fully enjoy the superb location
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased that you enjoyed a number of aspects of the hotel. As you mention, we are incredibly lucky to possess such a fantastic view of Lake Windermere and the fells beyond and this view can be enjoyed by 25 of our bedrooms as well as the dining room.

It is lovely to hear that you enjoyed the service from our staff. They all read the reviews and i imagine will be overjoyed by your comments. We place a large emphasis on customer service as each and every member of staff value all of our customers and we aim to meet all of our guests needs.

Thank you for your feedback on the dining room and the bar. We are currently about to commence with an exciting refurbishment project which will add even more character to our grand building.

Thank you once again for your review and hopefully we can welcome you back to the Belsfield in future.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

The Belsfield Hotel is, in my opinion, in the best location for the view and is very central. The rooms are very nicely decorated and spotless. The toiletries provided are by Laura Ashley and smell lovely. The whole place is very beautiful and it has to be said, so is the hotel.
I really enjoyed using the pool but I was disappointed that the sauna was out of order. Again the pool and changing areas were immaculate.
My only negative comment would be the bar prices, although coming from South Yorkshire where a pint is normally about £2.50, £4.20 a pint is pretty steep!
I would love to return and would recommend the hotel :) I'm missing the view already

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank longjohncottage
Joseph_Cobb, Deputy General Manager at Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. It is great to read that you have had an enjoyable stay. I too agree, the views are incredible. They are shared by 25 of our bedrooms, most tables in the restaurant, the lounges and the terrace and most people tend to agree.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the use of the pool. Most guests tend to enjoy the cleanliness of the pool as well it's quiet location and during the hot summer months from time to time we even open the roof and this is usually very well recieved.

Once again, thank you for your lovely review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

We booked into the hotel for 1 night on 16th July. We requested a lake view, what we got was what seemed to be an attic room overlooking the back of the hotel. We paid £169.95 for 1 night mid week so it was not cheap. The room was unbearably hot even with the windows open. The dinner menu did not inspire at all, and the breakfast buffet was not good either there was no rolls or choice of bread the sausages were cold and the eggs were like rubber. The bar did not fare any better with limited choice of drinks etc. The location is perfect and if you are lucky to get a room with a view then what a view you will have. I stayed here around 4 years ago and it was a bit tired and dated then fast forward 4 years its even sadder now. I wont stay here again

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. Firstly, I am pleased to here that when you were in the restaurant and lounges that you enjoyed the view over Lake Windermere and the fells beyond. We are incredibly lucky to possess such views and we currently have 25 bedrooms that share this immaculate view.

It is a shame to read that you were not inspired by the dinner menu. We have recently introduced a new a la carte menu that has widely received positive reviews. Chef has brought a specific focus on attention to detail with the food and is focusing on fresh, quality items that are sourced locally where possible. This also applies to the breakfast buffet where we offer a freshly cooked buffet station which we aim to replenish vastly to keep the food as fresh as possible and this is complemented by the cold buffet station with a large variety of alternative options.

Thank you once again for your review.