“Much better service and standards in a premier inn !!”

Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We stayed one night in the BELSFIELD Hotel paying £159 for the night In a small room with no view as such . The room was tired carpet stained not even a shower cap to be had ,but when we came down for breakfast it was beyond belief, No tables had been cleared we sat looking at dirty plates all the time ,the area where the fruit cereals etc were was a mess ,I asked them for more gratefuit and yoghurts as these were empty ,they came with the large tin and tipped it in to the bowl in front of me the same with the yoghurts ,no one came to take my order and I was told they didn't do this I had to get someone's attention ,the service was terrible it goes on and on ,eventually I went to see the manager who was very pleased he said for my feed back and wrote it all down in a book ,said he needs to address the breakfasts as he has only just taken over and has had a lot of problems which he is trying to sort .I did get a reduction of £40 but felt I had still paid to much for the night ,do not think we will ever go back again ,we travel all the time now we are retired and have had some wonderful hotels ,but I am afraid this is not one of them!!

Room Tip: Always view the room first if you can .
3  Thank 591Traveller
Joseph_Cobb, Deputy General Manager at Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

I am sorry to hear that on this occasion we have not matched your requirements. As I mentioned to you on the day, we take customer service very seriously and have recently paid a great deal of attention to dinner service and this is something that a number of guests have thoroughly enjoyed. However I have not come accross many problems with breakfast and I am happy to hear any feedback and in turn, look at ways that we can improve our service.

I am pleased that you found the location to be five star. We are incredibly fortunate to be positioned on top of a verge, overlooking Lake Windermere and the fells beyond. Most guests also comment on our proximity to the village and how they find this ideal for local shops.

Thank you once again for your review.

There are newer reviews for Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Me and my boyfriend chose to stay here on our one year anniversary, working in hotels ourselves we were appalled by the standard of this hotel.

Firstly we were laden with heavy bags and not one member of staff offered to help us, when we eventually found our way to our room we were disgusted by the trays of breakfast left in the corridor (it was three o'clock in the afternoon) , when we got to our room we were severely let down, there were stains on the carpet and the facilities were less than satisfactory with a hair dryer I'm pretty sure was older than myself, the bath was tiny and the bathroom floor was a disgusting plastic. Although the bed was comfortable the rest of the furnishings was outdated and scuffed. We had a wonderful view....of the car park.
The entire hotel is desperate for a luck of paint with chips and faded patches all over the place not to mention the huge rust stain down the front of the hotel. I can however not slate the view it was stunning and highly enjoyable to sit an look over lake Windermere, the pool was also nice, however you had to get a key to go down which made it slightly less appealing, however the sauna was out of order (shocking )

The staff were also very rude when I called to ask to book a table I was kept on the phone for 15minuets waiting for someone to answer and then was told very rudely they were fully booked and then hung up on this is not acceptable and I know in my job I'd have been in a lot of trouble for being so rude to a guest paying £300 to be there. The staff need to be trained on customer service.

Overall great hotel but unbelievably let down by the standard of hotel. If you're planning on staying at lake Windermere I'd recommend a boutique inn.

5  Thank Allie M

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

I am sorry to hear that your stay was not as you had hoped. We currently work incredibly hard on customer service and appreciate that each guests needs are equally important and so it is difficult to read that we have not met your requirements. We have taken your feedback on board and will learn from our mistakes and ensure that the above points are addressed.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the view from the restaurant. We are incredibly fortunate to possess such a fantastic view of Lake Windermere and the fells beyond. The view is shared by 25 of our bedrooms and our spectacular garden terrace.

Thank you once again for your review.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

We have stayed at the Belsfield Hotel many Times, So what better place we thought to spend our Golden Wedding Break ..The Hotel is 150years old and yes its a little tired in places BUT...The staff are very welcoming and many have been there years..The rooms and beds are clean and comfortable ... As with any hotel problems that may arise are dealt with right away... The Breakfasts are plentiful and would suit all tastes ,the evening meals are beautifully presented and very tasty. The views are superb, the gardens well kept and a swim is a bonus and the sunshine we got during our stay made our break even better, also plenty of parking space.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
3  Thank CMJ2JLJ2

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay due to a number of positive aspects. Firstly, it is great to read that you found the staff to be very welcoming. We are fortunate to have a warm team who care for each and every guests needs.

It is also nice to hear that you enjoyed the food. We have made an extra effort in the kitchen department to deliver food of a high standard and we have been receiving positive feedback regarding presentation and flavours since we have introduced our new a la carte menu.

The gounds are another area which people tend to enjoy and comment on and I am pleased to hear that you also enjoyed them. We have a number of acres which span from our pitch and putt golf course to our grassy expanses overlooking the shore of the lake. Their is a space for everyone and many people enjoy relaxing in the gardens.

Once again, thank you for your review and hopefully we can welcome you back to the Belsfield in future.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

My wife and I have been to the Belsfield on many occasions and have always enjoyed ourselves.
We recently stayed for a short break taking the half board package. The breakfast as always was excellent however we missed having a table d'hote menu for dinner. The dinner is now a la carte and can prove more expensive than the price quoted for the half board package. Luckily we were prepared to pay the extra but feel that not everyone will do so. One other guest had difficulty in making the choice of food because they dd not want to go over the £22 dinner allocation. The chef needs to keep a better control over his stock as on one day he had no cold roast beef or roast ham for his bar snack menu and the same evening he had no smoked salmon on his a la carte menu.

Room Tip: Choose a lake view room
2  Thank Happychappy701

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast. We currently offer a wide range of cooked options for breakfast as well as an extensive cold selcetion that most guests do tend to comment on. We are also looking at ways that we make our selection even better as we do strive to increase our standards and in turn, our guests enjoyment.

I am sorry to hear that we ran out of the smoked salmon dish on our dinner menu in the evening. Unfortunatly the dish seemed to have been more popular on this occasion than most other nights. It is usually well received, however on this occassion it seems that all of guests chose this option and so we were caught out. I hope we can make amends and offer you this dish in the future.

Food in general has been a large change under the new management. We have recently added a new chef to the team and he has a large focus on food quality and demonstrates great attention to detail with his cooking, whilst trying use as much local produce as possible.

Thank you once again for your review and hopefully we can welcome you back to the Belsfield again in the future.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stayed in April & was very disappointed with our room. Tiny, shabby & dirty. So the Manager gave us a free return this July. They certainly went the extra mile to try to make amends. They gave us a four poster suite with stunning lake view. The restaurant is excellent and has a fantastic view of the lake.
In general the hotel is in need of some TLC & maintenance but it is in an idyllic location.
The staff were all polite & attentive.

Room Tip: If you can, pay the extra & have a lake view room. The view is stunning.
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Debbie A

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased to hear that on your return visit to the Belsfield that you found the restaurant to be excellent. We have recently introduced a new Head Chef who brings a clear focus on food quality. He has an fantastic culinary background and attention to detail which is shining through with some of the new dishes on our menu.

The location of the building is often described as idyllic and i am pleased to read that you thought the same. With the hotel being a stones throw from the Lake, we have fantastic views of the Lake and fells beyond. We are also fortunate to be a number of yards away from all of the local shops.

Thank you once again for your review and hopefully we can welcome you here again in the future.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Belsfield in late May 2013, and due to time constraints I'm only just getting time to write a review.

We were taking a trip to the Belsfield as much-needed respite as we have a daughter with additional needs and find it very hard to get any time to ourselves, especially as she struggles with sleep at night.

I'm pleased to say that the Belsfield offered exactly what we were needing. Set upon a grassy hill, over looking the majestic Lake Windemere, the Belsfield had the most spectacular views of the lake. The package we booked included a meal in the evening and breakfast, and the food was absolutely astounding. Truly delicious and fresh main courses and desserts, and an all you can eat breakfast offering everything from cereals, fruit, yoghurts, to sausages, beans, fried toast and jams.

The dining room and interior in general is really quite grand. I've read a few reviews that state it is "dated" but it's dated in a traditional sense, and takes absolutely nothing away from the overall atmosphere of the building. I'm unsure of the history of this building, and maybe I'm just not used to fancy hotels, but I was in awe of the Belsfield architecturally. The car park and gardens were lush and floral, with ample space to sit in peace and enjoy the view.

I especially loved the outside drinking/dining area, directly positioned with perfect lake views. Lit by candle lanterns in the evening, and having the chance to still order drinks past 10pm made for quite a magical experience. Once the crowds had dissipated and the lake was calm, we found relaxation with a glass of wine on the outside terrace.

As for the rooms, we were given a "family" room, which really blew me away when I opened the door to what I should really describe as a suite. A large but simple living room with TV, sofa, storage cupboard (including iron, board, spare bed, board games, fan, clothes hanging space) which then lead into a lovely and large bedroom with yet another tv (!), bed, writing desk and then of course a separate bathroom including a bath and complimentary bits and bobs.

My main thought when we arrived in our room was that this would actually make the ideal place to stay with out daughter. As she struggles with sleeping, having the option of a suite with a bedroom and separate room where we could watch TV after she's gone to bed would be brilliant for us. And apparently there's a swimming pool, which I never did actually use but know my daughter would be overjoyed on a rainy day being able to go swimming!

I was also pleased to find that room service ran well into the night, providing us with night cap and a couple of bag of crisps... Not very sophisticated but we still felt decadent having the option to order up some treats!

The staff were friendly, helpful and kind, room service in terms of cleaning was spot on, so nice to come back to a fresh bed and towels each day.

Overall I fell in love with the Belsfield. The price was reasonable, I felt looked after, relaxed and sated by staying there, and that's all we really wanted. The building and grounds are extensive and in my humble opinion, very grand, and I can't wait to visit again, this time with our daughter.

Room Tip: Family suite really is perfect for kids, with a separate bedroom and lounge. The breakfast is ideal...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pony S

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased to read that you had such an enjoyable stay and that you found the hotel to be grand and great. The Belsfield was built in the 1800's for a Baroness who's one stipulation was that she demanded one of the best views in the area. As a result, as you mention, the view is incredible and a number of guests have said this is the best view from any hotel in the area.

I am glad to hear that you found the food to be outstanding. We have recently brought a new chef in to our team and there is emphasis now on food quality. With all dishes being sourced from local produce and attention to detail, most guests have really enjoyed the change in our menu.

The family room that you enjoyed is another factor that we are lucky to possess. We currently have a number of family rooms, suites and other desireable room and have a total of 25 rooms that share the fantastic view of Lake Windermere.

Once again, thank you for your kind review and hopefully we can look forward to welcoming you back to the Belsfield in the future.

Reviewed 20 July 2013

recently stayed, had a generous lake view room. to wake in the morning and have tea looking at the spectacular view was amazing. some areas do need attention but theoverall faded grandure and sophistication is quite quaint. staff are allways extremely helpful, albert, sally ian x 2 to name just a few. the dinning rooms elegance is mared by the plain woodedn tables, tablescloths would add to the overal grandness that has previously been my delight to enjoy. The bar area could be improved, needs to be bigger and a coffee shop with a barista would be ideal. so come on corous get your finger out an dstart improving what could be an elgant jewel in corus,s crown.

Room Tip: a lake view room is a must to fully enjoy the superb location
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased that you enjoyed a number of aspects of the hotel. As you mention, we are incredibly lucky to possess such a fantastic view of Lake Windermere and the fells beyond and this view can be enjoyed by 25 of our bedrooms as well as the dining room.

It is lovely to hear that you enjoyed the service from our staff. They all read the reviews and i imagine will be overjoyed by your comments. We place a large emphasis on customer service as each and every member of staff value all of our customers and we aim to meet all of our guests needs.

Thank you for your feedback on the dining room and the bar. We are currently about to commence with an exciting refurbishment project which will add even more character to our grand building.

Thank you once again for your review and hopefully we can welcome you back to the Belsfield in future.

Deputy General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#9 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Storrs Hall
Storrs Hall
#5 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier Collection
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier C...
#8 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel
Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel
#7 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
The Ryebeck
The Ryebeck
#3 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield? Share your experiences!