“Fabulous View, Fabulous Location”

Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield
Wigan, United Kingdom
“Fabulous View, Fabulous Location”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We stayed for one night on our anniversary and were upgraded to the four poster room overlooking the lake. The views were amazing and we were treated very well. Breakfast was very good, with plenty choice and excellent service. On the whole we were treated very well and just wish we could have stayed longer. Will definitely come again. Thanks!!

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Joseph_Cobb, Deputy General Manager at Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield, responded to this review, 17 August 2013
Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

I am thoroughly pleased that you had such an enjoyable time and will definetly come again. We do strive to please each and every guest and are very happy to upgrade our guests when and where we can. We currently have 25 rooms overlooking the lake in total, as well as a number of family rooms, suites and rooms overlooking our beautiful gardens.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the service. All of our staff read and value your comments and I imagine they will be most pleased.

Thank you once again and hopefully we can welcome you back to the Belsfield at some point in the future.

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

Stay was an absolute pleasure so glad we upgraded to lake view as it was beautiful day and night. Relaxing and a real old fashioned English hotel in the nicest possible way. Perfect location for exploring the surrounding area. Can be seen from lake imposing and elegant

• Stayed July 2013
Joseph_Cobb, Deputy General Manager at Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

I am incredibly pleased to read that you found the hotel to be the perfect place to stay on Windermere. You are right, our imposing position overlooking Lake Windermere and the fells beyond is magnificent and this view is shared by 25 of our bedrooms as well as the restaurant, bar and lounges. We also have views of our beautiful gardens available as well that are enjoyed by many.

I am pleased that you also found the location of the hotel to be perfect. Due to our proximity to Bowness village there is something for all of our guests. Whether that be browsing the local shops, catching a boat trip around the lake or an open top bus around the Lake District, most activites can be embarked upon directly from the hotel.

Once again, thank you for your review and hopefully we can welcome you back to the Belsfield in the future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I stayed here with a friend who had never been to the Lakes before so I booked two rooms overlooking the lake. It was well worth the money. We were very lucky with the weather and the excellent location made it easy for us to explore on the tour bus or the lake, as we had arrived by train. The staff were always pleasant and helpful, even the cleaners were pleased to bid us good morning. The meals were fine, no reason to complain at all. More options such as fresh fruit etc., as a dessert, but that's just a personal choice of mine! It was lovely to receive such a personal service from courteous and happy staff. Perhap we could all learn something from them! My friend had a good experience of northern hospitality.

Room Tip: Book a room with lake view, it's well worth the extra.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased to read that you found your stay to be so enjoyabe and that you were very happy with the customer service. Each department of the hotel, whether it be the housekeeping department, restaurant, bar or reception are extremely focused on trying to deliver the best customer service they can and will be overjoyed that you were delighted with this.

The location is often addressed on Tripadvisor and I am pleased that you found it beneficial. We are incredibly fortunate to be so close to the lake enabling our guests to catch the lake cruise boats from directly outside our gates or to catch an open top bus and explore the Lake District from the bus stop outside our gates once again.

It is nice to hear further more that you enjoyed the food. Our Head Chef has recently joined our team and brought a clear emphasis on fresh, quality produce and brings attention to detail with all of his dishes.

Wynn Vale
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Staying in this hotel felt a bit like we had stepped back in time to an English version of the Great Gatsby era. We felt quite "privileged" for the duration of our stay.
It's a bit long in the tooth, but nothing impactful and all part of the charm.
Room was a very good size though no safe which was a nuisance. Pool was excellent (though again a little tired). No A/C in the room (not that you would need it most of the year) though a pedestal fan had been left in the room and was all we needed.
Location is fantastic being right near the centre of town - a very short walk - and overlooking lake Windermere from an elevated position with unobstructed views. The views and ambience of the garden bar overlooking the lake was astounding. Great place to wind down at the end of the day, watching the sun go down, or generally watching the world go by.
This was our 2nd time in Windermere (1st time in this hotel) and if we go back a 3rd time we will be looking to stay at the same place again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased to read that you had such an enjoyable stay and will be looking to stay here again in the future. Many people comment on the location of the hotel and I am pleased that this was a large plus point for you as well. With our proximity to local shops, Lake Windermere and the beautiful fells, there is something for all of our guests.

Most people usually do comment on our view and I am glad that you found it to be astounding. The hotel was initially built for a Baroness who had one requirement, she requested the best possible view in the area. Subsequently we have inherited a stunning view down the lake towards the rugged fells in the distance. This view is shared by 25 of our bedrooms as well as the bar, restaurant and lounges.

Thank you once again for your review and hopefully we can welcome you back to the Belsfield in future.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We stayed one night in the BELSFIELD Hotel paying £159 for the night In a small room with no view as such . The room was tired carpet stained not even a shower cap to be had ,but when we came down for breakfast it was beyond belief, No tables had been cleared we sat looking at dirty plates all the time ,the area where the fruit cereals etc were was a mess ,I asked them for more gratefuit and yoghurts as these were empty ,they came with the large tin and tipped it in to the bowl in front of me the same with the yoghurts ,no one came to take my order and I was told they didn't do this I had to get someone's attention ,the service was terrible it goes on and on ,eventually I went to see the manager who was very pleased he said for my feed back and wrote it all down in a book ,said he needs to address the breakfasts as he has only just taken over and has had a lot of problems which he is trying to sort .I did get a reduction of £40 but felt I had still paid to much for the night ,do not think we will ever go back again ,we travel all the time now we are retired and have had some wonderful hotels ,but I am afraid this is not one of them!!

Room Tip: Always view the room first if you can .
3 Thank 591Traveller
Joseph_Cobb, Deputy General Manager at Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

I am sorry to hear that on this occasion we have not matched your requirements. As I mentioned to you on the day, we take customer service very seriously and have recently paid a great deal of attention to dinner service and this is something that a number of guests have thoroughly enjoyed. However I have not come accross many problems with breakfast and I am happy to hear any feedback and in turn, look at ways that we can improve our service.

I am pleased that you found the location to be five star. We are incredibly fortunate to be positioned on top of a verge, overlooking Lake Windermere and the fells beyond. Most guests also comment on our proximity to the village and how they find this ideal for local shops.

Thank you once again for your review.

Harrogate england united Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Me and my boyfriend chose to stay here on our one year anniversary, working in hotels ourselves we were appalled by the standard of this hotel.

Firstly we were laden with heavy bags and not one member of staff offered to help us, when we eventually found our way to our room we were disgusted by the trays of breakfast left in the corridor (it was three o'clock in the afternoon) , when we got to our room we were severely let down, there were stains on the carpet and the facilities were less than satisfactory with a hair dryer I'm pretty sure was older than myself, the bath was tiny and the bathroom floor was a disgusting plastic. Although the bed was comfortable the rest of the furnishings was outdated and scuffed. We had a wonderful view....of the car park.
The entire hotel is desperate for a luck of paint with chips and faded patches all over the place not to mention the huge rust stain down the front of the hotel. I can however not slate the view it was stunning and highly enjoyable to sit an look over lake Windermere, the pool was also nice, however you had to get a key to go down which made it slightly less appealing, however the sauna was out of order (shocking )

The staff were also very rude when I called to ask to book a table I was kept on the phone for 15minuets waiting for someone to answer and then was told very rudely they were fully booked and then hung up on this is not acceptable and I know in my job I'd have been in a lot of trouble for being so rude to a guest paying £300 to be there. The staff need to be trained on customer service.

Overall great hotel but unbelievably let down by the standard of hotel. If you're planning on staying at lake Windermere I'd recommend a boutique inn.

5 Thank Allie M
Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

I am sorry to hear that your stay was not as you had hoped. We currently work incredibly hard on customer service and appreciate that each guests needs are equally important and so it is difficult to read that we have not met your requirements. We have taken your feedback on board and will learn from our mistakes and ensure that the above points are addressed.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the view from the restaurant. We are incredibly fortunate to possess such a fantastic view of Lake Windermere and the fells beyond. The view is shared by 25 of our bedrooms and our spectacular garden terrace.

Thank you once again for your review.

Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We have stayed at the Belsfield Hotel many Times, So what better place we thought to spend our Golden Wedding Break ..The Hotel is 150years old and yes its a little tired in places BUT...The staff are very welcoming and many have been there years..The rooms and beds are clean and comfortable ... As with any hotel problems that may arise are dealt with right away... The Breakfasts are plentiful and would suit all tastes ,the evening meals are beautifully presented and very tasty. The views are superb, the gardens well kept and a swim is a bonus and the sunshine we got during our stay made our break even better, also plenty of parking space.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

3 Thank CMJ2JLJ2
Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay due to a number of positive aspects. Firstly, it is great to read that you found the staff to be very welcoming. We are fortunate to have a warm team who care for each and every guests needs.

It is also nice to hear that you enjoyed the food. We have made an extra effort in the kitchen department to deliver food of a high standard and we have been receiving positive feedback regarding presentation and flavours since we have introduced our new a la carte menu.

The gounds are another area which people tend to enjoy and comment on and I am pleased to hear that you also enjoyed them. We have a number of acres which span from our pitch and putt golf course to our grassy expanses overlooking the shore of the lake. Their is a space for everyone and many people enjoy relaxing in the gardens.

Once again, thank you for your review and hopefully we can welcome you back to the Belsfield in future.

Deputy General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#9 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier Collection
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier C...
#8 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
#6 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
The Ryebeck
The Ryebeck
#3 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield? Share your experiences!