“Used for business meeting”

Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield
Chester UK
“Used for business meeting”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Attended for business - we used three of the hotel rooms. Staff were friendly but there was no WIFI - terrible for business not even in the public areas. Then we had the weird of experience of sandwiches for lunch, they arrived and i am not kidding, stale bread a slice of thin beef and soldier strips for 7 people (half a soldier strip each)! Perhaps the worst sandwich I have ever been presented with in my entire life. In fact it nearly sent me over the edge. We complained and when they realised we were paying for the sandwiches and they were not being asked to provide as part of the package a platter of the Lake districts finest breaded specimens arrived. Very odd. Almost as though it was a case of "right boys - we need to maximise our profit and sandwiches are an area we can do that - feed them last weeks children's packed lunches and cut them into strips! mwwwuuhahahaha!"

Rooms were average.

Would not recommend for business use

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Joseph_Cobb, Deputy General Manager at Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

I am sorry to hear that your time at the Belsfield did not go as according to plan. Firstly, with regards to the internet, our usually fast internet service that is available to all of our guests throughout the building was down for the day. I appreciate that if you are here on a work basis that this is unacceptable and I apologise for this. Unfortunately our internet provider was having technical difficulties and this was passed on to us, affecting our guests.

With the sandwiches, I am sorry to hear that chef's finger sandwiches were not to your liking and I am pleased that we managed to prepare a different variety more to your liking later on. We of course put customer satisfaction as a priority over anything else and I am sorry to hear that we did match your expectations initially.

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Stayed for 5 nights with my father as a treat. We were here as a family way back in 1979 and it was a nostalgic trip back. We were very kindly given a lake view room. The room was spacious as was the ensuite bathroom. No airconditioning but a fan is provided in the cupboard. The TV was flatscreen and coffee and tea facilities were provided. The free wifi worked well and was a very welcome bonus. The room was well appointed but somewhat dated, however it was very comfortable indeed and we enjoyed just sitting on the chairs provided admiring the wonderful view daily. The breakfast buffet had a good spread of both hot and cold items; I enjoyed the hot croissants in particular. The restuarant staff were wonderful and very attentive and remembered us every morning we returned, always ensuring that we got a lake facing front table which was very much appreciated.
The location was excellent. One could walk to the lake front via the beautiful gardens through the gate in front, or access through the main gate at the back leading to Kendal road. Many excellent restaurants in the vicinity,of which the Jackson Bistro deserves special mention. What I particularly enjoyed was my daily evening hikes up to Post Knott and Brant Fell and onwards to Biskey Howe, all of which offered magnificent views of the lake and the Langdale Pikes and the Old Man of Coniston, and I was delighted to discover a new "shorter " route from the hotel to reach Post Knott. I greatly appreciated the location of the hotel for this.
The only issue which slightly marred the stay was the fire alarm going off on a Thursday night shortly before midnight which necessitated evacacuation of the hotel. The fire services and engine turned up but it turned out to be a false alarm and the all clear was given shortly. On the bright side it showed that emergency and fire evacuation systems were in place and in working order.
Highly recommended overall.

Room Tip: Ask for Lake room wherever possible. Indeed I feel it is worth paying the extra for this.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank unfrequentflyer
Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased to hear that you found the location and the staff to be excellent. Each and every member of our team are more than happy to go the extra distance to ensure your stay is as comfortable as possible and will be most grateful of your comments.

You are correct about the location of the hotel. Whether it be a base for some of the picturesque walks that you refer to or just for a gentle stroll through our gardens and down to the lake or even just in to Bowness-on-Windermere, we are very fortunate of the hotels position.

With regards the fire alarm sounding at such a late hour i do appreciate that this is not ideal and hope that it did not impinge too much on your stay.

Thank you once again for your review and hopefully we can welcome you back to the Belsfield in the future.

Corse Lawn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We stayed for two nights with friends, visiting the area to attend the Rover P4 Drivers Guild Lakes Rally. The rooms were clean and well appointed. We ate in the restaurant on both evenings - good value and plenty of choice. All of the staff we met were extremely friendly and helpful. Our enjoyment of the weekend was not spoilt by the fire alarm going off just before midnight, indeed the staff evacuated the building quickly and efficiently and did all the necessary checks.
Will certainly be returning.

Room Tip: Do ask for a lake view room when booking.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Brian W
Joseph_Cobb, Deputy General Manager at Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield, responded to this review, 29 September 2013
Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

I am thoroughly pleased to hear that you enjoyed the food at the Belsfield. Chef has recently received warm feedback from the menu. However, due to seasonailty and aiming to provide variety for our returning guests, chef has launched a new menu this week. The menu has increased choice and imagination and has so far received glowing feedback.

The service is another area that we focus on. Our staff have developed a good understanding of both food and wine and aim to complement this with a warm welcome to our restaurant. They will no doubt, be happy to read that you found it to be first class.

I am sorry to hear about the fire alarm. Of course this is not ideal and I hope that you were not too disturbed.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We stayed for two nights in a room on the 2nd floor and located at the front of the hotel, with a magnificent view of Lake Windermere. Check in had been a breeze and only took a minute or so. The reception staff were welcoming, friendly, helpful and efficient. We were given clear instructions on how to get to our room and shown to the old fashioned lift complete with manually operated double gate doors. - just loved the "olde world" character of it.
Our room could be classified as comfortable rather than luxurious but had a certain character to it. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was utilitarian rather than glamourous. There was even a trouser press attached to the wall of our room - very useful!
Buffet breakfast was served in the main dining room, with a good variety of breakfast foods and cooked dishes to choose from. We dined at the hotel on both evenings of our stay. The first night we had a bar meal that was adequate for our needs without being outstanding. The second night we dined in the formal dining room. Very good service, reasonably expensive with a minimum charge for three courses but the food was very nice.
There was some excitement on the second morning of our stay, with a full-scale emergency evacuation at 8.30am. Fortunately there was no real danger as a smoke detector had been set off by some burnt food in the kitchen and this had triggered the evacuation alarm. It was quite interesting to see the fire brigade arrive quickly and it was quite amusing to see all the guests, many of whom were still in their night attire, gathered in the car park.
When the emergency evacuation was over, we were able to return to our room and continue our packing for our departure. Check out was handled by the staff on duty as efficiently as our check in had been carried out and we were soon on our way with thanks and best wishes from the receptionist. We highly recommend this hotel for a comfortable stay with magnificent views and courteous, friendly staff.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BigHugh51
Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased to read that you had such an enjoyable stay. The staff will be incredibly pleased to hear that you found the service to be five star. Our team aim to please all of our guests and are more than happy to go the extra mile to please our guests.

The food is another area that we work extremely hard with and I am pleased to read that this was something that you enjoyed. We are constantly striving to improve the food instead of resting on our laurels and as of this week we have introduced our new menu and increased the variety of choice at breakfast.

The fire evacuation was unfortunatly caused by a sensor that a fault that we have since attended too. However I do apologise for the inconveniance during your stay. I accept that it is not the most calming of awakenings.

Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Good reviews encouraged us to book this hotel for a 2 night stay to celibrate our 25th wedding aniversary. 300 pounds ish for 2 nights. The room is small but clean and comfortable. Lovely views of the Lake etc. But when we tried to book for dinner in the restaurant there was no room at the inn so to speak :-( what a disspointment. Therefore can't really coment any further. Our raiting are base on a spoilt silver wedding aniversary celibration. My advice would be if you want to eat at the hotel book the restaurant before you book the room.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

I am sorry to hear that we didn't manage to fit you in to our restaurant for dinner on your 25th wedding anniversary. Unfortunatly the hotel was full on this evening and the restaurant was incredibly popular due to chefs new popular menu. I completely understand that this may have caused frustration and can only apologise for this.

I notice that you rate our location as five star and i am pleased this was an element that you enjoyed. We are incredibly fortunate to have such a magnificent view over Lake Windermere and to also have fantastic proximity to Bowness-on-Windermere itself.

The Netherlands
Reviewed 4 September 2013

This hotel is the most beautiful hotel overlooking Lake, close to bus stops and tourist information center. The grounds are beautiful. I had to wait 10 minutes to check in. Then they asked if they could changemy room just down a few stairs. I said, ok but I wouldn't do it again. It was two flights of 8 stairs each and I could hear overhead people in other rooms. This was in a corner so I felt like I was in a cave. The single bed was small and so was the bathtub. It was okay but at 140 pounds a night I expect more.

Room Tip: Price was 140 pounds a night. The location could have not have been better. They changed my room wit...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank mari D
Joseph_Cobb, Deputy General Manager at Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased to hear that you found the hotel location to be five star. We are incredibly fortunate to be on a raised bank overlooking Lake Windermere and the fells beyond. Our proximity to the lake is something that our guests also tend to comment on as they can nip on to lake cruises.

Our beautiful grounds are another draw of the hotel and we are lucky to have six acres strecthcing down towards the lake and I am pleased that you liked them.

I am sorry to hear about the complications with the bedrooms. I have spoken to our team and I feel we should learn from this as we do aim to please each and every guest who stays with us.

Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013

The staff were excellent, as was the location and car park. The hotel is kindest described as faded. We stayed in room 74, way up in the eaves of the building in a clean but shabby room, like the rest of the Hotel. Asking £200 per night for a musty hotel is daylight robbery. Save your money, stay in a nicer hotel on the outskirts of Bowness and enjoy the walk into the centre.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Auditor34
Joseph_Cobb, Deputy General Manager at Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor.

Fisrtly I will say that I am pleased that you found a number of aspects to be excellent. The service throughout the building is an area that we work incredibly hard on delivering and we aim to make each and every guests stay as enjoyable as possible.

I am sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your room and have found it to be musty. Our housekeeping strive to keep the cleanliness of the building to the highest standards and I imagine they will be alarmed that you found the room to be musty and in turn we will look to address this.

I am pleased that you found the location of the hotel to be five star. We are incredibly fortunate to be in such close proximity to the Lake as not only does it give our guests unrivalled views of the Lake and the fells beyond but it also enables our guests to catch lake cruises, bus rides or simply walk in to the village and experience the local shops.

Deputy General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#9 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,317 reviews
The Burn How Garden House Hotel
The Burn How Garden House Hotel
#4 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield? Share your experiences!