We went for Sunday lunch today to celebrate a birthday. There were 6 adults, 1 toddler and 1 baby ( only having a sandwich off the children's menu). On arrival we actually thought it was closed. The car park was virtually empty & this & the boarding up outside gave the impression it was shut. Very quiet on entering the reception area. However a friendly member of staff asked us if we were the birthday 'party'. Sat in the lounge bar prior to eating & that was fair enough.
However the restaurant, which is massive was empty apart from a group at another table. We had asked for a table with a view and the table had some view down the lake, but was also looking onto scaffolding. There was an uneasy feeling as the staff who were friendly when they approached, nonetheless just stood in a line watching us.
The menu I'm afraid really didn't suit, we couldn't find a starter that appealed. The soup I would have opted for but thought it very overpriced for the surroundings. The mains again, didn't press any buttons for me. We had been told on the phone that the carvery is no longer available however there is a roast of the day. But this is not even mentioned on the menu. One of us however asked for it & was subsequently unimpressed. Myself, I chose the duck, not actually a favourite but I was struggling. Don't eat venison or rabbit. When the food arrived it was a small portion. Strangely the children's meal was HUGE, and even the babies sandwiches were more substantial ! Two others of our party also chose the duck, both very used to ordering this. Neither liked it finding it almost impossible to cut, one sending it back. Have to say mine was fine in that respect but completely tasteless. I mention this as I note the manager has repeated his comment of 'quality rather than quantity' . Sadly on this occasion he is wrong in that respect. Blindfolded I would have had absolutely no idea what I was eating ! We decided not to waste more money on desserts or coffee and chose to go elsewhere in Bowness for these. A huge let down. Until this place gets the very necessary renovation it is completely unrealistic to charge the prices it does for quite tasteless food in a room with no ambience whatsoever. We didn't complain as felt embarrassed for the person taking us out on this celebration meal. Feel quite sorry for the staff, if they have been there for a while they will remember the good old days when the place was full ( that's what we remembered & expected).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in Bowness on the Eastern shore of Lake Windermere and directly overlooking the "Belle Isle", the Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield is the perfect place from which to enjoy a holiday in Windermere. Set in 6 acres of landscaped gardens the boutique hotel offers unparalleled views over Lake Windermere in the foreground, and on the farther shore can be seen the often snow-capped Langdale Pikes and the Fairfield Horseshoe. The Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield has 62 designer bedrooms, including 25 Lake View bedrooms and 12 Garden View rooms, with 2 Four Poster bedrooms and Suites all enjoying views looking down Lake Windermere. Dining is provided in the Belsfield Restaurant and Belsfield Brasserie, with drinks in the Lounge Bar and opportunities to relax and take tea or coffee in the Drawing Room and Library. The setting makes the hotel the perfect location for your dream wedding, with a beautiful new glass reception overlooking Lake Windermere creating a magnificent arrival. Facilities for up to 100 guests are available. Newly refurbished meeting rooms with state of the art conferencing facilities make the hotel the ideal venue for your company event in the Lake District. We are also able to assist in organising special events within the grounds for special motivational or sales driven events using tents and various performances. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Belsfield Hotel Bowness On Windermere
- Belsfield Bowness On Windermere
- Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield Bowness-On-Windermere, England - Lake District