The location of this aging grand hotel is excellent with a lovely view of the lake ,quietly situated ,but yet central to Bowness and all its ameneties.
The staff were friendly and welcoming and genuinely seemed to care.
The Victorian hotel however is in need of updating .The cavenous dining room lacks charm and atmosphere and certainly needs redecorating..Take a look at the Old England hotel which has been refurbished ,with comfy sofas and appealing furniture,the owners ,Corus ,could learn a lot from how the Belsfield should be marketed.Our bedroom was a good size and had a lovely view of the lake ,but we needed an additional heater in the room to keep us warm.The blankets were old and tired and should be replaced .The bathroom was dated and the noise from the gurgling plumbing was amusing but not in the middle of the night.
We had dinner on the first night -but would not recommend.The lamb was tough and was very strong in flavour.It was served in mint gravy which was so acidic that it would have removed rust from metal.Needless to say I didn't eat it .The vegetables were raw -not al dente -but the broccoli was cooked to a mush.The potato served was a quarter of a roasted jacket potato,reroasted ,so it was dry and hard.
Breakfast on the first day was good.Self service.On the second day ,due to an apparent rush of guests ,there was very little food left for us,the staff tried to be helpful and asked the kitchen to cook some sausages and saute potatoes for us -this was gratefully received, but the bacon was so dry and overcooked that you could have soled your shoes with it.
In conclusion ,it is such a shame that the Belsfield did not meet our expectations.The food should be better and with some TLC this wonderful building could be great again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in Bowness on the Eastern shore of Lake Windermere and directly overlooking the "Belle Isle", the Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield is the perfect place from which to enjoy a holiday in Windermere. Set in 6 acres of landscaped gardens the boutique hotel offers unparalleled views over Lake Windermere in the foreground, and on the farther shore can be seen the often snow-capped Langdale Pikes and the Fairfield Horseshoe. The Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield has 62 designer bedrooms, including 25 Lake View bedrooms and 12 Garden View rooms, with 2 Four Poster bedrooms and Suites all enjoying views looking down Lake Windermere. Dining is provided in the Belsfield Restaurant and Belsfield Brasserie, with drinks in the Lounge Bar and opportunities to relax and take tea or coffee in the Drawing Room and Library. The setting makes the hotel the perfect location for your dream wedding, with a beautiful new glass reception overlooking Lake Windermere creating a magnificent arrival. Facilities for up to 100 guests are available. Newly refurbished meeting rooms with state of the art conferencing facilities make the hotel the ideal venue for your company event in the Lake District. We are also able to assist in organising special events within the grounds for special motivational or sales driven events using tents and various performances. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, Ebookers, Agoda, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Belsfield Hotel Bowness On Windermere
- Belsfield Bowness On Windermere
- Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield Bowness-On-Windermere, England - Lake District