We booked for 3 nights on the back of the great reviews on T.A. at £142 per room per night B+B Executive Lake View via Laterooms ,and although not the most expensive room we've ever paid for , we still had relatively high expectations.
-location is great, with wonderful lake views from dining/bar areas. Right in centre of Bowness, so fantastic choice of restaurants.
-staff seemed to be mainly Hungarian and were fantastic, offering superb service.
-rooms seemed to be recently refurbished and good bathrooms.
-spa really good, with steam,sauna and ice room. Good size pool.
- not much atmosphere- in some ways seemed like an upmarket Travel Lodge!
-At £142 per night I don't expect to have to pay extra for a cooked breakfast- seems like they are just trying to extract as much money out of you as possible.
-After spending £11.25 for a large glass of house wine and bottle of beer, we decided to not drink in the bar again.
-We were allocated Room 229 as 'an upgrade'. Unfortunately it was a (large) attic room but unfortunately the extra space, and extra large bed didn't make up for the half window. You had to stand up to see the view and the room was dark. There was also an interconnecting door which meant you could hear the TV (which wasn't on that loud) and most other things from the adjoining room. By 11 pm we'd had enough so phoned reception and asked to be moved, and to be fair we were moved straight away......just something we could have done without. The Executive Room we were moved to was OK, quiet, had a view but nothing special for the price.
We don't plan on going back to this hotel, but would definitely go back to Bowness. The Porto Italiano restaurant in Bowness should get a special mention- some of the best food we've eaten in a long time, especially after the walk to the top of Helvellyn!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels. Set on the shores of Lake Windermere - England's largest lake - our hotel offers the best of breathtaking scenery and exceptional facilities. From unrivalled views over our mature lawns, to private jetties and moorings on the lake - our hotel proves a popular choice for family holidays. Our hotel in Cumbria is perfect for country adventures - hire a private jetty on our lake and marvel in the glorious scenery we have on offer. And once you've finished exploring, we recommend a visit to our spa and thermal suite for a relaxing steam before you dine in our award-winning Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Superbreak UK, Booking.com, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Expedia, getaroom.com, LateRooms, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Cancelon and HotelsClick so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, Lake District