We have stayed at the old England on a number of occasions over the past 4 years. We actually got married here in August 2008 & have returned at least twice a year to visit. This hotel really does tick all the boxes. The location is simply breathtaking & when you actually take a moment to sit back and take in the view of the lake, you realise that you cannot really put a price on staying here! I have stayed in many different rooms and can honestly say that there isn't a bad room. A tip for anyone making a reservation for the first time would be to ask for a lakeside view room and make sure you ask for a room in the "renovated section". The bathrooms are devine and equipped to a really high standard. Everything u would want or need is in your room - bath robes, slippers, iron/ironing board, hair dryer, complimentary water, fridge, coffee/tea facilities etc.
The spa is just beautiful and really worth a visit, even If it's just for a quick swim and a visit to the sauna/steam room. I have had treatments, and yes they are expensive, but no dearer than what you would expect from a hotel of this standard.
The breakfast is absolutely scrumptious and it's taken by order, so no buffet style full English, but a personal order which is taken and the choice is excellent and varied. You will leave in the morning feeling full!
Overall, always a consistently wonderful stay. Great rooms, attentive staff where nothing is too much trouble, perfect location with stunning views and plenty to do just on your doorstep. Great place to come as a treat.
Can't fault the wedding service - first class! We used Michelle who is the hotel wedding planner; she was amazing and looked after us really well.
We will continue to visit and would recommend this hotel to anyone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels. Set on the shores of Lake Windermere - England's largest lake - our hotel offers the best of breathtaking scenery and exceptional facilities. From unrivalled views over our mature lawns, to private jetties and moorings on the lake - our hotel proves a popular choice for family holidays. Our hotel in Cumbria is perfect for country adventures - hire a private jetty on our lake and marvel in the glorious scenery we have on offer. And once you've finished exploring, we recommend a visit to our spa and thermal suite for a relaxing steam before you dine in our award-winning Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, getaroom.com, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, Lake District