I like a good spa - time to relax and wind down in a hot bubbling jacuzzi....... wait! No jacuzzi!! I've never been to a spa that is totally lacking in the jacuzzi area. Especially one that has recently spent a good sum of money refurbishing! Plus, where else is there to sit? Well, there was approximately four loungers which were all covered in other peoples towels. Other than that a very nice sauna and steam room. That's it for seating. If you just want to sit/lay and relax then space is limited. The pool was good enough, but a little on the cool side. The aromatherapy shower is a lovely touch and the ice room is great, very novel. The changing rooms were comfortable, albeit a little small, but there are plug sockets for your own dryer/straighteners etc. From what I could tell, if you wanted to use the toilet you had to come out of the pool area, out and through the changing rooms, along a short corridor and through a door on the end. Not great design to be honest. We didn't see much of the staff, however when we did enquire about treatments they were less than forthcoming so we decided to spend our money elsewhere. Final comment is that the showers in the changing rooms were tepid and I was looking forward to a nice hot shower on a very cold day so slightly disappointing.
Overall I wouldn't return for a spa weekend with my girlfriends. It was adequate for a coupe of hours but no more. The views are lovely, but difficult to enjoy from poolside level. And the lighting makes it all look a bit dull - not a patch on the photos.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels. Set on the shores of Lake Windermere - England's largest lake - our hotel offers the best of breathtaking scenery and exceptional facilities. From unrivalled views over our mature lawns, to private jetties and moorings on the lake - our hotel proves a popular choice for family holidays. Our hotel in Cumbria is perfect for country adventures - hire a private jetty on our lake and marvel in the glorious scenery we have on offer. And once you've finished exploring, we recommend a visit to our spa and thermal suite for a relaxing steam before you dine in our award-winning Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Ebookers, Agoda, Odigeo, Priceline, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., getaroom.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, Lake District