The Old England is centrally located in the heart of Bowness. Just a few steps beyond the front door are all the shops and restaurants and also the jetty's for the lake boat trips. The hotel is very nicely decorated, it is warm and homely and without exception the staff are super friendly. The swimming pool is an excellent size for a hotel and the gym is brilliantly equipped - the spa is frequented by private gym members from the local area hence how well set up it is. Evening meals are of good quality but we found the breakfast patchy - it was wonderful to not have a lukewarm hotplate buffet and to have breakfast freshly cooked, but given how cold it was when it arrived, I felt there was a stock of stuff sitting in the kitchen. The staff seemed run off their feet at breakfast, particularly over the weekend when wedding guests swelled the numbers. The only real disappointment was the feature rooms. They were well appointed but I paid extra for these to get good lake views and felt really shortchanged. The lake views from the feature rooms in the modern wing are quite limited. You can certainly see the lake, but your view isn't necessarily uninterrupted and you can't sit n the window and enjoy it, you kind of have to strain to see. Our view was of the roof and rear areas of the sailing club which wasn;t entirely pleasant. So, it is a procey hotel, but the staff, location and general feel are great. I didn't give it five stras because of the lake views, the impact on service to other guests when there are weddings booked and the fact that tables in the restaurant seemingly had to be booked in the morning to get any chance of eating before 9pm.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels. Set on the shores of Lake Windermere - England's largest lake - our hotel offers the best of breathtaking scenery and exceptional facilities. From unrivalled views over our mature lawns, to private jetties and moorings on the lake - our hotel proves a popular choice for family holidays. Our hotel in Cumbria is perfect for country adventures - hire a private jetty on our lake and marvel in the glorious scenery we have on offer. And once you've finished exploring, we recommend a visit to our spa and thermal suite for a relaxing steam before you dine in our award-winning Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TravelUp, Booking.com, Ebookers, Priceline, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, Lake District