Yes it's a little pricey and yes it's a little old fashioned but it's very, very nice.
Greeted by name on arrival, without evening opening my mouth, luggage was whisked away and the car key taken for valet parking. Don't worry, within minutes they fetch it back for you right to the front door, that's if you feel the need to venture further as everything is in walking distance even those who aren't so great on their feet.
Although our rooms weren't ready on arrival, (we were early for check in) they were allocated and the signing in process executed within minutes.
The Old England Team are a lovely bunch of people, non-intrusive service with a smile, from the reception to the spa without exception.
Taking time to sit in the lovely lounge, you can relax, sinking into deep armchairs with a drink and the newspapers whilst the sun sets over the lake - a sheer delight.
For the energetic among us the spa is a great addition, spotlessly clean facilities, a proper size swimming pool and those brilliant views.
Taking meals if not included in the room rate and drinks is on the pricey side, but then this is a quality establishment, which knocks spots of some London hotels I've stayed in for a lot more money.
Well worth the money for a short break, we'll definitely be back
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels. Set on the shores of Lake Windermere - England's largest lake - our hotel offers the best of breathtaking scenery and exceptional facilities. From unrivalled views over our mature lawns, to private jetties and moorings on the lake - our hotel proves a popular choice for family holidays. Our hotel in Cumbria is perfect for country adventures - hire a private jetty on our lake and marvel in the glorious scenery we have on offer. And once you've finished exploring, we recommend a visit to our spa and thermal suite for a relaxing steam before you dine in our award-winning Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, Lake District