After a bit if a mix up on check in which was soon sorted, we had a lovely stay at the Old England. The gardens are on the side of the lake and the views are excellent. It is in a fantastic location for viewing the town and a 2 minute walk from the ferries to Ambleside.
The staff were very helpful and friendly and always accommodating.
The rooms were old but very clean and tidy.
Breakfast on the first day was fantastic but was a let down on the second day. Not sure if it was a different chef or just because the hotel was busy.
Drinks pricey at £9.60 for 2 pints so didn't have to many at the hotel.
We booked through superbreak and it cost £280 for 2 nights with breakfast which was worth the money but if we are honest I wouldn't have thought the same at £220 per night.
We would certainly still recommend and return.
Scott and Julie Green
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels. Set on the shores of Lake Windermere - England's largest lake - our hotel offers the best of breathtaking scenery and exceptional facilities. From unrivalled views over our mature lawns, to private jetties and moorings on the lake - our hotel proves a popular choice for family holidays. Our hotel in Cumbria is perfect for country adventures - hire a private jetty on our lake and marvel in the glorious scenery we have on offer. And once you've finished exploring, we recommend a visit to our spa and thermal suite for a relaxing steam before you dine in our award-winning Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, TravelUp and Odigeo so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, Lake District