We stayed in feb 2013 for 2 nights (thank goodness it wasn't longer)and on arrival were pleased with the location of hotel, but that's about the only good thing I can say. We were allocated room 307 which turned out to be the damp armpit of the hotel. It overlooked the lake which would have been fantastic if we could have seen the view thru the condensation on window. The bathroom was so damp the tiles were almost falling off the walls ( they moved if you touched them) other tiles had obviously fell off in the past and had been stuck on upside down. There was a massive damp patch on the ceiling outside the room which had not even been repaired or painted and the overall smell of dampness was most noticeable when we returned too the room after a spell away. The corridors outside our room was congested to say the least - dirty laundry empty beer bottles and various trolleys used by staff. The breakfast was just about edible on the first morning but after a very long wait on the second morning the breakfast that was presented to us was disgusting to say the least. I think this hotel trades on its fabulous location by the lake but honestly I would recommend you look for alternative accommodation if staying in bowness.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels. Set on the shores of Lake Windermere - England's largest lake - our hotel offers the best of breathtaking scenery and exceptional facilities. From unrivalled views over our mature lawns, to private jetties and moorings on the lake - our hotel proves a popular choice for family holidays. Our hotel in Cumbria is perfect for country adventures - hire a private jetty on our lake and marvel in the glorious scenery we have on offer. And once you've finished exploring, we recommend a visit to our spa and thermal suite for a relaxing steam before you dine in our award-winning Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, Lake District