Stayed 1 night as a treat for myself & my wife. The hotels location couldn't be better - right in the heart of the small town close to many pubs & restaurants and overlooking Lake Windermere. Was met by friendly and efficient reception staff and the concierge who was a particularly nice chap parked our car for us.
Our room was very spacious, recently refurbished and decorated in a neo-classic style, with a nice view of the lake. Worth noting here that an earlier quick look around the hotel when we were considering staying revealed that some of the "classic" (hotel speak for basic and tired) rooms are to be avoided.
Enjoyed a drink through the day on the main bar terrace, where the view is spectacular and later in the library. Both times the service was very friendly & courteous however the bar prices are eyewateringly steep - can't help thinking they must suffer from the amount of competition in town and perhaps a more pragmatic approach to their pricing might in the long term benefit both themselves and their guests.
Decided not to dine in the hotel partly for this reason and partly because a bit of Internet research had revealed a really nice looking restaurant nearby we both wanted to check out.
Great nights sleep - none of the pitfalls associated with some hotel rooms. Room was quiet and not too hot - bed was firm but comfortable.
Breakfast in the morning was very civilised - enjoyed the view while obviously well trained staff presented us with our choice of hot food cooked to order. Great coffee.
It must be really difficult for hoteliers to please everyone that comes through the door - I'm sure their guests can be a fickle bunch - and when the tariff is as high as the Old England's they probably have a right to be picky - but I've got to say the hotel delivers what it promises. A lovely relaxing environment in a great location with good standards of service. We'd recommend it and may well return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels. Set on the shores of Lake Windermere - England's largest lake - our hotel offers the best of breathtaking scenery and exceptional facilities. From unrivalled views over our mature lawns, to private jetties and moorings on the lake - our hotel proves a popular choice for family holidays. Our hotel in Cumbria is perfect for country adventures - hire a private jetty on our lake and marvel in the glorious scenery we have on offer. And once you've finished exploring, we recommend a visit to our spa and thermal suite for a relaxing steam before you dine in our award-winning Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Superbreak UK, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Expedia, LateRooms, HotelsClick, Ebookers, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, Lake District