We married on the 27th of April at a sister hotel, The Randolph in Oxford which was an amazing experience in it's self. We then tucked ourselves away in The Old England hotel to have some time to ourselves. The Honeymoon suite (125) was beautiful. Based on Lake Windermere at Bowness we had a lake side view from our Balcony and also from the bedroom area. We could see the Macdonald and Union Jack flag flying high with the lake behind, stunning. Our suite was well equipped and the small touches like the welcome card from the staff was thoughtful. The Tassimo machine was great and turned us both into fans. Our room was well serviced to a high standard and I particularly liked the toiletries supplied. My partner and I are not slight to say the least and for once there were comfortable fluffy robes which were large enough for us to wear. Much better than the stiff ones we usually come across. The restaurant view across the lake made us want to get up for breakfast and get down early to get a great table. The coffee was unfortunately a tad week but the staff were attentive.
We did use the SPA pool area but didn't have any treatments. The pool was however very cold and a Jacuzzi area would have been nice.
The lounge and bar staff were also very friendly and informative when we asked about the local area. We had our first Macdonald afternoon tea on the day we left and the only way to describe this is Epic! Fresh, variety, well presented and extremely tasty. An afternoon tea will have to go a long way to beat this. If you can't stretch to a stay at a Macdonald a dining experience is a must and at minimum afternoon tea. Afternoon tea will give you a snapshot of the amazing service that awaits. Having experienced this at both The Randolph and The Old England we feel that such high standards must be at the core of the Macdonald chain.
Our Honeymoon was all that we needed it to be, a quiet relaxing experience in a beautiful location where stress and worry drifted away.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels. Set on the shores of Lake Windermere - England's largest lake - our hotel offers the best of breathtaking scenery and exceptional facilities. From unrivalled views over our mature lawns, to private jetties and moorings on the lake - our hotel proves a popular choice for family holidays. Our hotel in Cumbria is perfect for country adventures - hire a private jetty on our lake and marvel in the glorious scenery we have on offer. And once you've finished exploring, we recommend a visit to our spa and thermal suite for a relaxing steam before you dine in our award-winning Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Ebookers, TravelUp, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, Lake District