Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Stags Head(Bowness-on-Windermere)
  • Breakfast included
The Royal Hotel(Bowness-on-Windermere)
  • Pool
Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield(Bowness-on-Windermere)
Cranleigh Boutique(Bowness-on-Windermere)
View Hotel
The Burn How Garden House Hotel(Bowness-on-Windermere)
Windermere Hydro Hotel(Bowness-on-Windermere)
White Lodge Hotel(Bowness-on-Windermere)
Craig Manor Hotel(Windermere)
  • Restaurant
Hillthwaite(Windermere)
3,096 results
All reviewsold englandfeature roomvalet serviceexecutive roomterrace barice roomrelaxation roomlake viewlovely hotelcar parkcooked breakfaston arrivalsauna and steam roomafternoon teablack puddingevening mealshort break
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I recently spent a week at this charming and delightful hotel. The rooms are lovely, the daily maid service is excellent, and the hotel is well maintained.
The breakfasts are great, and the dining room offers good quality food. If I visit the Lake District again, I would love to stay there.

Room Tip: Try to get a view of Lake Windermere.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Me and my husband booked this hotel for our 1st year anniversary. Our room was priced at £300 for 1 night. We had forgotten it was the children's summer holidays so as soon as we turned onto the main road it was mayhem!! There is 5 disabled parking bays outside the hotel and an 'underground car park' which fits around 6 cars in (and is a tight squeeze to get out of)!!! We drove down to the car park near the lake as the thought of giving our car keys to a complete stranger and them parking the car where they wanted scared the life out of us! The car park was packed so we tried another car park further on (by this time we were about 2 miles away from the hotel)!! We pulled onto the car park which looks like a farmers field and looked how much it would be to park ....£15 on top of a £300 a night hotel with no parking?! We rang the hotel and cancelled the room. Thankfully we had booked it on a flexible rate and didn't have a cancellation fee to pay!! This has put me off MacDonald hotels for life and I will never ever book another one. Not the way I thought our 1st year wedding anniversary would be. Advice for fellow visitors if you value your car don't book this hotel!!!!

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank M155KMB
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from a 2 night stay that I arranged for my fiance birthday. I booked a feature king lake view and received room 319. Robes and slippers in room. Fantastic view's over lake Windermere and their veautiful gardens. Lots of boats moor outside the hotel so great to just sit and people watch.
Oldy worldy hotel, fan in room, lots of space, no temperature control, great spa and pool.
The staff are very friendly. Valet service not a problem, centrally located in town of bowness close to lovely country bumpkin pubs!
The prices of drinks in the hotel are extremely expensive so I certainly wouldnt have any especially when you have a typical pub next door. Vals tea rooms also next door, yummy for snack in between activities with fresh tea leaf brews.
I would certainly return, however I thought the hotel may have done something small for my fiance special birthday and they knew it was.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Another good find when we traveled with our child to Lake District of our last trip was this hotel which sits right next to the pier. Apart from the noisy church bell which seems to ring from heaven to earth, the hotel served good purpose for our weekend trip to the area. We took the train from London and the hotel is only a short 10 ride by taxi.
The room was a dated and the floor was not even- many times I thought I was falling off the floor when walking to the bathroom. However, good size room for three with one large queen size bed and a single bed was the main feature when we booked the hotel. Bathroom was also spacious and very clean. Heated towel rack and clean linen with strong water pressure was pleasantly unexpected from this older hotel.
Service was good and the lounge bar with spectacular view of the lake is a must visit. Breakfast seemed OK but we found better choices just up the streets.
On the way to the hotel, our cabbie recommended a good place to eat which turned out to be our favorite place for breakfasts and lunches-The Angel Inn, a small inn right up the street served delicious food in their lovely garden with priceless view of the area.
Before checking out, large tour buses pulled up to the hotel, we quickly settled our bill to avoid the crowd. The door man was friendly, professional and called a taxi for us within 5 min.
Overall, MacDonald Old England Hotel is recommendable when visiting the area with family although it may not be a top pick for a romantic weekend.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank EELSM
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We've just got back from a one night stay at the Old England Hotel. We had an excellent time and were very happy with our choice of hotel. I traveled with my fiance and my two sons and we shared a huge family room (number 212).
The service, the location, the spa, the surroundings, the valet car parking and the general feel of the hotel were all excellent.
The room was very good, really spacious, clean and well equipped. Although it didn't have air con it did have an electric fan.
The price of the room was great value for the standard of hotel. Although I was quite surprised at the cost of a pint of lager and two diet cokes. Also we didn't have the breakfast at the hotel as it would have been very expensive for four people. Judging from the hotel I'm sure that the breakfast would have been awesome but there are some lovely cafes in Bowness that are less than half price so we opted for one of those.
Overall I was happily recommend this hotel. Bowness and Lake Windermere are absolutely stunning and this great hotel has the best location ever!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 212 which was a huge family room. It's a shame that it didn't have a lake view though.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family