My Husband and I had been on a walking holiday with 3 other couples in Cockermouth and didn't want to drive home on a Bank Holiday! We thought we would have a luxury one night in a 5 star hotel in Windermere. In Bowness. The setting and room and the view from the room was out of this world. BUT if you are only staying for one night a bit of a waste of money. We checked in at 6 (4 was the earliest) and checked out at 11 (latest) We chose not to have dinner there - silly money! - but lovely terrace. It was £200 a night for a Lake View. We got an upgrade because it was my Birthday and stayed in a £300 room.
Went to Bar and asked for a Red Wine. Luckily I asked the price! £12.95!!! for a glass. He actually apologised and pointed to the view. We found a cheaper glass - £14 for a red wine and a pint of Lager - Gentlemen, only two draught Lagers - Heineken and Amstel - not my husbands favourites. I then asked about WIFI - you had to pay. Nuts and olives were free!! It was a lovely evening so we took our drinks to the garden on the Lake. We are non-smokers but there were no ashtrays so were dog ends on the lawn. Still a lovely setting.
Spa fee - so had swim next morning. Very very basic spa. No Hot tub.
Room out of this world.
Went for breakfast. OK but not as nice as ourB & B. Kippers £2.50 extra!!!!
But FREE valet parking in secure garage 30 seconds away from Hotel and you could leave your car there for 12 hours after you at checked out. We had lovely day and caught the Ferry to Ambleside (£10 each)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels. Set on the shores of Lake Windermere - England's largest lake - our hotel offers the best of breathtaking scenery and exceptional facilities. From unrivalled views over our mature lawns, to private jetties and moorings on the lake - our hotel proves a popular choice for family holidays. Our hotel in Cumbria is perfect for country adventures - hire a private jetty on our lake and marvel in the glorious scenery we have on offer. And once you've finished exploring, we recommend a visit to our spa and thermal suite for a relaxing steam before you dine in our award-winning Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., LateRooms, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, Lake District