We stayed on a Saturday night with our two children. We had a lovely room with an amazing view of the lake. The service in the restaurant was excellent. Chris Bushby looked after us and gave the most amazing service. The food was wonderful too.
The pool was a very inviting 30 degrees which we were all grateful for! We've stayed in some hotels where it's like breaking the ice to get in. My only quibble with the pool is that the hours seem odd. No children after 6pm on the Saturday and then no children until 10am on the Sunday morning. My daughters would have loved a morning swim but with checkout at 11am we wouldn't have had time. Also, we were eager to get up Catbells and, as we were up at 7am, it would have meant hanging around for 3 hours.
My daughters were thrilled with the full sized bunk beds and not a pull out sofa bed.
Other than that it was a wonderful stay. We've been before when I've had treatments at the spa. These were good too with friendly, well trained therapists.
I think this is an excellent family hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels. Set on the shores of Lake Windermere - England's largest lake - our hotel offers the best of breathtaking scenery and exceptional facilities. From unrivalled views over our mature lawns, to private jetties and moorings on the lake - our hotel proves a popular choice for family holidays. Our hotel in Cumbria is perfect for country adventures - hire a private jetty on our lake and marvel in the glorious scenery we have on offer. And once you've finished exploring, we recommend a visit to our spa and thermal suite for a relaxing steam before you dine in our award-winning Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo, Agoda, TravelUp, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Hotel.de and HRS so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, Lake District