My partner and I booked a treatment for me and access to the spa facilities for the two of us. The spa is part of the hotel. So it's not really just a spa. You simply get access to the hotel's facilities including swimming pool, gym, sauna etc. The pool is being used by hotel customers who not only want to relax, but also are there to do some exercise, have fun with their kids etc. So don't expect a quiet and relaxing environment. That was ok to us. I don't mind kids having fun in a pool, rather the opposite. But maybe it's important to others.
My problem was with the overall service when I got there. They didn't have any slippers so they made me walk from the changing room to the treatments area barefoot. It was cold! Then they first made me wait in a relaxation room where I was told my therapist would come and get me for my treatment. Lovely room, but I waited forever. Afterwards I realised the therapist wasn't told I was there waiting for her: I saw later that I had a missed called from the spa at the time I was waiting in that room. They thought I hadn't shown up when I was just there, barefoot and cold waiting for my treatment!
Once the treatment was over (that was really nice) I walked again barefoot back to the reception to see whether they had received their delivery of slippers. All the warmth from my massage gone again. They did have slippers and I finally got them. But I think I shouldn't have had to ask and walk again back to the reception barefoot. They should have taken care of this.
Other than that, I would recommend the stones massage!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels. Set on the shores of Lake Windermere - England's largest lake - our hotel offers the best of breathtaking scenery and exceptional facilities. From unrivalled views over our mature lawns, to private jetties and moorings on the lake - our hotel proves a popular choice for family holidays. Our hotel in Cumbria is perfect for country adventures - hire a private jetty on our lake and marvel in the glorious scenery we have on offer. And once you've finished exploring, we recommend a visit to our spa and thermal suite for a relaxing steam before you dine in our award-winning Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Priceline, Ebookers, Agoda, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., getaroom.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, Lake District