“Spa: not the service I expected”

Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Spa: not the service I expected”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

My partner and I booked a treatment for me and access to the spa facilities for the two of us. The spa is part of the hotel. So it's not really just a spa. You simply get access to the hotel's facilities including swimming pool, gym, sauna etc. The pool is being used by hotel customers who not only want to relax, but also are there to do some exercise, have fun with their kids etc. So don't expect a quiet and relaxing environment. That was ok to us. I don't mind kids having fun in a pool, rather the opposite. But maybe it's important to others.
My problem was with the overall service when I got there. They didn't have any slippers so they made me walk from the changing room to the treatments area barefoot. It was cold! Then they first made me wait in a relaxation room where I was told my therapist would come and get me for my treatment. Lovely room, but I waited forever. Afterwards I realised the therapist wasn't told I was there waiting for her: I saw later that I had a missed called from the spa at the time I was waiting in that room. They thought I hadn't shown up when I was just there, barefoot and cold waiting for my treatment!
Once the treatment was over (that was really nice) I walked again barefoot back to the reception to see whether they had received their delivery of slippers. All the warmth from my massage gone again. They did have slippers and I finally got them. But I think I shouldn't have had to ask and walk again back to the reception barefoot. They should have taken care of this.
Other than that, I would recommend the stones massage!

1 Thank Martha_B_Man

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (561)
  • Arabic first
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We stayed here three weeks ago for a spa break. The hotel is perfect location on Lake Windermere. Stunning views from the rooms, pool and restaurant. Such a romantic place. The pool is a decent size with sauna and ice room. We tried the steam room twice but both times it was just a room (i.e no steam!)

The breakfast was delicious, plenty to choose from hot and cold. The only thing that let the hotel down was the attitude of one member of the spa staff (female, long brown hair, Eastern European accent) All other staff we encountered were a credit to the hotel, in particular the spa manager (male, light brown hair, Northern English accent) who went out of his way to help us on both visits to the spa.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pixiver
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 12 December 2013

It is right by the waters and you can see the all the water birds flying in and out from the huge windows at breakfast time! It is also situated very close to the market place making it easily accessible. Also very close to the ferry boats! The rooms are really huge nice and cosy. The service was excellent!

Room Tip: All rooms are nice n cosy!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 309TRIP
Edward C, Manager at Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
It is certainly “Fantabulous” to read your review. We have just further enhanced our bedding and linen standard across all of our rooms. 3ft down pillows, even more comfortable mattress toppers, deeper fill duvets and of course luxury cotton linen. The towels are even twice as fluffy as before. Cosy says it all.

Thank you for taking the time to post your stay.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for a Saturday night in December and had a fantastic time. This is not the first review I have written for this hotel. I was somewhat disappointed after our first visit, when we stayed to celebrate our engagement, due to an issue with noise but we wrote to the hotel to express this and they offered us a free night's stay in compensation. When we arrived we parked outside the hotel and a member of staff parked our car under the hotel for us. The room wasn't ready when we arrived, so they kept our luggage for us and it was waiting in the room when we returned. We stayed in one of the suites and the view of the lake was spectacular. We received a free glass of champagne each and breakfast was included free of charge as well. We made use of the spa during our stay which was really relaxing.

From some hotels we would have been offered a small discount off the bill from our original stay, so I was very impressed with how they dealt with the issue we had. I'm sure that we will be back to celebrate future wedding anniversaries. As a few people have mentioned it isn't a modern hotel so it is not 100% perfect in a sense that things aren't brand new, so bare that in mind when you book, but there is definitely a romantic feel to the place and it is located perfectly for exploring Bowness.

1 Thank caz_salford
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Spent just one night at this hotel the room staff and service were excellent, worries about parking literally taken out of our hands by the valet parking service, great free glass of champs and chocs on arrival too. Didn't get chance to use the spa but the wife had her nails done, not great job but we were a bit pushed for time.

Room Tip: Go for a lake view suite if you can
1 Thank Edhj69
Edward C, Manager at Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
We were delighted to read your comments regarding the ease of arrival and service delivered from the Concierge and valet parking team. As a small historic town which is perfect to explore on foot, driving and parking can be a little confusing for those who have not visited before. Great to hear you simply parked at the front of the hotel, stepped inside, relaxed and let us take car of your car.

Also pleased to hear you enjoyed the champagne and chocs in one of our lake view suites.

Many Thanks
East Morton
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We have just returned from a 2 night stay. We paid the extra and booked a suite..we actually ended up in the bridal suite....the stay followed our wedding so it was lovely to have this room.

From the moment we arrived, our bags were whisked away and someone even cleaned our car for us!

The service throughout was exceptional...both in our room and in the public rooms. All staff were friendly and extremely helpful.

The room itself was lovely..this is an old hotel..it's not a contemporary type establishment but has a lovely feel and our view of the lake was superb.

In fact, in terms of experiences, this has been one of my best, if not the best in terms of customer services itself.

We have been so well looked after and it really has made our trip.

We will most certainly back...we miss it already.

Room Tip: Get a suite!
Skelton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We went to the old england for a weekend away it cost £346 for 2 nights bnb the room we stayed in (218) had cracked tiles in the bathroom mould on the wall and ceiling the bathroom door lock was broken the bedroom had worn carpets and bed throws there were cobwebs above the bed and stain on the wall and the table top was loose and was a danger as it was made of glass,THe breakfast both days was very sparse and on the second day i had to ask for more scrambled egg as this is a 4star hotel we expected much much better as a fact we have stayed in better 2star hotels than this one all the stafff we spoke to except the friendly barman and lovely man on front desk were from eastern europe and we found them very hard to understand which became embarrasing having to ask things twice all the time.

Room Tip: choose the newer rooms near to the lake
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Trevor H
Dear Guest

Thank you for the summary of your stay. We will certainly be investigating those comments made regarding the presentation of your room. We continually review our breakfast offering and pride ourselves on providing one of the industries most extensive continental breakfast selections and commitment to using only the finest ingredients. We are of course always happy to accommodate additional requests.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
#3 of 20 in Windermere
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,316 reviews
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier Collection
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier C...
#8 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
#19 of 20 in Windermere
Linthwaite House
Linthwaite House
#2 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,462 reviews

Been to Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!