My husband booked this break between xmas and new year for 3 nights as we love the Lake District and thought it would be a nice time to go after a busy xmas. We chose this hotel for location and expecting a Macdonald 4star standard. We originally booked a feature room but upgraded to a feature suite nearer the time. The room was very spacious with a living room area with TVs there and in bedroom. The views were beautiful, bed comfy and everything clean. The bathroom was clean and ok, but for a suite in a 4* hotel these days lacked the WOW factor. Considering the cost of the room to have a crack in the basin poor tile grouting etc it just seems the whole room needs revamping. It could be stunning if a little effort and money spent on it. There are better rooms in other hotels for the price we paid where you would get roll top baths, walk in showers etc. hotels need to keep up with competition or they will get constant criticsm on sites such as this. We also had a problem with one of our radiator not being efficient so reported it to reception. They promptly gave us a temporary heater and sent maintainence to bleed rad within 15 minutes of reporting it. Having said all of the above, the staff we encountered were very efficient and helpful, in particular the valet who worked endlessly with guests cars in all weathers due to parking limitations. The breakfast was served ok for us and found it alright but perhaps have had more of a choice at buffets in the past. We didn't eat at the restaurant or drink in the bar as It didn't feel inviting or have any ambience. All in all we enjoyed our stay and our room and cannot fault the staff but probably wouldn't return to this hotel. Some places just grab you from day one but this one didn't.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels. Set on the shores of Lake Windermere - England's largest lake - our hotel offers the best of breathtaking scenery and exceptional facilities. From unrivalled views over our mature lawns, to private jetties and moorings on the lake - our hotel proves a popular choice for family holidays. Our hotel in Cumbria is perfect for country adventures - hire a private jetty on our lake and marvel in the glorious scenery we have on offer. And once you've finished exploring, we recommend a visit to our spa and thermal suite for a relaxing steam before you dine in our award-winning Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, TravelUp, Expedia, getaroom.com, LateRooms, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelsClick so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, Lake District