“Truly excellent”

Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Stayed here on the Saturday evening for my partners birthday and everything from start to finish was simply perfect.

The hotel is really easy to find and is well signposted from all routes. There are a limited number of disabled parking spaces right outside the main entrance with all other parking in the hotels own car park a short distance away. We left our car outside the entrance upon check in and used the free valet parking - amazingly well organised and much easier than trying to find a space yourself.

The reception staff are efficient, friendly and genuinely pleased to greet you. The valet parking, like I said above, is really well organised and I would imagine a must in summer months when it starts getting busier.

The building itself is quite large and every part that we saw was in excellent condition. Our room was lovely but we did have a suite so can't comment on the standard rooms. From what we could see though they looked equally as good. Large bed, mega comfy and a great nights sleep had.

Would strongly recommend booking on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis as this proved to be excellent value and the food was amazing. £40 allowance per person (food only) for dinner was more than enough and both of us had three beautiful courses which we thoroughly enjoyed. Breakfast is freshly cooked to order so no stale buffet to worry about. Service was also excellent and no issues at all during either meal.

Check out was just as easy as check in. Asked for our car, paid the bill, packed our bags and came downstairs to be greeted with a smile, car keys and car outside waiting. Brilliant.

Will definitely stay here again as love the area and cannot recommend this hotel enough.

Room Tip: Definitely pay a little more for the lake view. Room 238 has an amazing view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank northernglobetrotter
Edward C, Manager at Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

We were pleased to hear you enjoyed so many of our recent changes. Valet parking & Concierge service for all guests the minute you arrive, new beds with even more comfortable bedding standards and our most recent change the dinner allowance. We have only recently increased the dining allowance for DBB from £28 to £40 per person and it’s great to hear how much you enjoyed the experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,995)

Reviewed 1 February 2014

This hotel is in a fabulous location right on Lake Windermere. The lounge there is stunning with lots of comfy chairs and huge windows- you wont want to leave it. Bowness itself is terrific- plenty of small shops- but loads of places to eat in evening, and some good pubs.
In our opinion nothing in England can compete scenery wise with the lake district.
Breakfast was good, but the evening meals are expensive- and the restaurant wasn't (quite) as posh as I expected. The bar in the lounge is good- but the other bar (with amazing outdoor terrace) was shut no doubt because it was January. Great views from breakfast room/restaurant
The pool , though a tad smaller than it looks in photos, was very nice; but it got quite busy with locals- so be warned!
This hotel though is all about the location.
We were bit disappointed to see macdonald there now sell costa coffee (boring!) instead of cafetieres in the lounge. Bring back style- not a non descript coffee chain that has taken over the UK.
Overall though we will be back for the location, that bar and that lounge. Be best in Summer

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank danbertNobacon
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I have visited this hotel a few times over the years but have not been for about 2 years before this last visit.
Took my Mum for the night just for a girly treat , going to be totally honest it was also because they have a really good deal on prices at the moment .
I feel it can be expensive at other times of the year , others may disagree?
We stayed in room 102 , a double twin with lake views , just perfect .
Our whole stay was so relaxing and we both chilled out completely . We arrived at approx 1pm which was early for check in but luckily our room was ready . We had the afternoon tea by the window looking at the lake and surrounding beautiful landscape . One portion of the afternoon tea was enough for the 2 of us and the waiter gave me my latte in the price which I thought was a lovely touch .
All of the staff we spoke to were so friendly , helpful and professional all a total credit to the hotel so well done all of you!
The breakfast was also really good with a very wide selection of continental , fruit , cereal , juices etc and the cooked breakfast was so fresh and tasty , mmm yum yum , set us up for the day .
My only personal criticism is that I found the bed too hard apart from that it was a perfect 10/10 stay so much so I am booking again for another night in a few weeks with my daughter for a spa treat , cannot wait .

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank 8966deborah
Reviewed 29 January 2014

stayed at this lovely hotel on dinner bed and breakfast option - the room with a great view of the lake was a good size , bed and pillows very comfortable - extra perk was the valet staff parking our car on arrival - very friendly staff in the whole of the hotel - the pool and spa was very relaxing after a wet day out. the evening meal was exceptional especially the lamb chops and the full English breakfast delicious cooked fresh. would not hesitate to return and recommend to family and friends

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Emma H
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Just returned from a weekend with our family to celebrate my Husbands birthday. I think the Hotel is a little tired furnishing wise particularly in the lounge and the bedrooms we were in, even though they were feature rooms with lovely views.

Everywhere was very clean and the staff are very friendly and helpful. The pool area is very pleasant particularly after a wet day out!

We enjoyed our meals in the restaurant the food was delicious. The decor and views in the restaurant are lovely.

However the Hotel let themselves down badly A friend of many many years ordered two bottles of wine to be put on our table with a card as a gift to my Husband. This was obviously prepaid but did not happen. My friend asked if we enjoyed the wine and we of course had not had it I was so glad she asked or we would have not known. The hotel refunded the money but I would have expected some flowers or a gesture to be made but not so, as this moment cannot be repeated. Sadly the Lady who spoke to me just said well it just did not happen I do not know why and I will look into it but the moment has been lost and sadly she did not seem to appreciate that.
I cannot say it spoiled our weekend because we were not aware until we returned home but it has left an aftertaste.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Giraffefan
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We spent 4 days here at Christmas and the whole experience was excellent.

We received a warm welcome at the door from the Bell Boy on our arrival, who then courteously valet parked our car free of charge.

We were checked in by a very friendly receptionist and then escorted to our freshly decorated and well sized room.

The food throughout our stay was excellent and the attentiveness of the staff was great....always calling back to our table to check that everything was good for us.

On Christmas Day my new born baby had a wonderful surprise as Father Christmas arrived to give her a present. I thought that this was a great touch from the hotel.

After a trip onto the Windermere Lake cruise, we returned to the hotel for our boxing day Gala Ball....once again being welcomed by great staff who served us a 6 course menu of fresh local food. The night was then finished off with a night of entertainment by a jazz band.

During our stay we also chose yo use the Health Club for a workout and also the swimming pool/spa/steam room for a relax...both facilities were modern, well equipped, very clean and well equipped.

Overall, a great all round experience.

Great hotel, friendly attentive staff, fresh food and an excellent location for visiting the area of Windermere and Bowness.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Shane N
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Just come back from staying here for the weekend with my boyfriend for our anniversary. We had a lovely time!
We were very kindly upgraded to a suite with a view of lake windermere. Lovely room extremely comfortable bed! On our final night we got complimentary champagne and chocolates! Which was a lovely surprise!
The breakfast was lovely, hot and cold choices suits everyone!
The staff were all very friendly and helpful I forget the names of some of the girls when checking in but thank you for your help!
We'd most definitely be staying again!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield
Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield
#6 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Windermere Hydro Hotel
Windermere Hydro Hotel
#11 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier Collection
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier C...
#8 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Storrs Hall
Storrs Hall
#5 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
3 mi away
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
#17 of 20 in Windermere

Been to Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!