Stayed at the Old England Hotel to celebrate my wife's birthday from 20th to 22nd February. The location is ideal, on the banks of Lake Windermere in Bowness itself..
From the moment we arrived, nothing was too much trouble, Check-in was completed in a friendly and efficient manner and our car valet parked in the hotels car park nearby.
We stayed in Room 222, a Feature Suite which was, clean, spacious and very comfortable with a view over the lake to watch the boats and wildlife go by like a screensaver. The suite was very well equipped with a large comfortable bed, couch and two chairs to relax on. A television in each of the room sections as well as a fridge and coffee maker. The complementary tea, coffee,water and shortbread were replenished both in the morning and during the evening turn-down service. We found the pillows a little too soft but that's just our personal preference.
The large bathroom was ideal with plenty of hot water for the shower and bath and lovely soft towels and robes,
We had pre-booked the evening meal so ate at the hotel that night, made with local ingredients, it was absolutely delicious. The service was relaxed and professional, although a little background music would have helped the ambiance.
Breakfast the next two mornings matched the previous nights high standards. We were quickly shown to our table looking out over the lake, the order for tea coffee and toast were taken before we helped ourselves from an extensive selection of fruit, cereals juices etc. The Full English was served piping hot and set us up for the day.
As we relaxed in our room on our second day, I answered a knock on the door which brought two glasses of champagne and chocolates, a very welcome Birthday treat, complements of the Hotel Thank you.
We had every intention of using the swimming pool and gym but ran out of days on such a short break in such a lovely part of the world, there is always next time
Check-out was completed as efficiently as our arrival and our car brought to the front door, a very welcome touch as the rain came down.
Overall a very relaxing stay at what is obviously a well run hotel in an ideal location.
Yes some of the drinks prices are a bit steep but there is a wide variety of places to eat and drink nearby. We can thoroughly recommend the Hole in t'wall pub and Jintana Thai restaurant both are only a short walk from the hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels. Set on the shores of Lake Windermere - England's largest lake - our hotel offers the best of breathtaking scenery and exceptional facilities. From unrivalled views over our mature lawns, to private jetties and moorings on the lake - our hotel proves a popular choice for family holidays. Our hotel in Cumbria is perfect for country adventures - hire a private jetty on our lake and marvel in the glorious scenery we have on offer. And once you've finished exploring, we recommend a visit to our spa and thermal suite for a relaxing steam before you dine in our award-winning Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Odigeo, Priceline, TravelUp, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., getaroom.com, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, Lake District