Booked the McDonald as a change from our usual hotel as of its location.
Smack bang in the middle of Windermere with great views of the lake.
We booked in and were allocated our room 221 on the second floor, quite small but ok.
We headed to the bar for a few drinks.
We ordered a Guinness and black £4.85 +£1 and a Budweiser and black £4.25+£1 nearly fell over when we got the bill !!
The drinks in this place are so expensive,
We ventured to eat out on return my wife wanted a cup of tea, we entered the bar ordered a pot of tea and a coke.
The bill came £9:50 and £3.25 !!!
Nearly fell over!
Eventually headed off to bed and we had/didn't have the worst nights sleep ever, we checked out the next day and headed straight home for a sleep!!.
I would not recommend you stay at this hotel, the beds are terrible and the drinks sooooo expensive.
We even mentioned our poor nights sleep to reception but didn't get a sorry!
Very poor !!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels. Set on the shores of Lake Windermere - England's largest lake - our hotel offers the best of breathtaking scenery and exceptional facilities. From unrivalled views over our mature lawns, to private jetties and moorings on the lake - our hotel proves a popular choice for family holidays. Our hotel in Cumbria is perfect for country adventures - hire a private jetty on our lake and marvel in the glorious scenery we have on offer. And once you've finished exploring, we recommend a visit to our spa and thermal suite for a relaxing steam before you dine in our award-winning Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Superbreak UK, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, getaroom.com, LateRooms, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Ebookers, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, Lake District