I use Macdonalds hotels for work (Media) because they are always a high standard and the staff are excellent. I have joined the Macdonalds club so used some points to take my Wife away for a night. This is our Silver Wedding Year so we wanted a treat and we got it. We went into the Bar which has a beautiful view of the Lake. we had planned a trip on a boat but were so at ease in the surroundings we sat for 4 hours talking and watching the beauty of the lakes. the room, a feature Suite had a similar view and was excellently equipped.We had a plenty of room. Dinner was excellent, we sat in the modern dining room that has huge windows looking out onto the lake.The food was to the high standard i expect.. Breakfast in the same location was again spot on.. Like all hotels in the Chain have very high standards across the board but i feel it is the Staff that always stand out. Service is so easy to get right and whoever trains the staff does it just right. Polite helpful friendly without being stuffy.. Macdonalds hotels have a taken over many classic hotels and given them their distinctive refurbishment. Im very surprised that comments made about this hotel seem to ignore this is a classic Victorian hotel. It is modernised but you feel you could be sat next to Sherlock Holmes. This is a Victorian Gem but given the right treatment. I would highly recommend this to overseas visitors who want to see the lakes but experience something of that magical era of Britain 100 years ago. Location is superb right next to the waterfront with hotel parking nearby.. I have read some comments and cannot agree. We had a fantastic stay that was faultless. We are planning to go again soon and would urge you to make up your own mind. Thank you for a great stay !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels. Set on the shores of Lake Windermere - England's largest lake - our hotel offers the best of breathtaking scenery and exceptional facilities. From unrivalled views over our mature lawns, to private jetties and moorings on the lake - our hotel proves a popular choice for family holidays. Our hotel in Cumbria is perfect for country adventures - hire a private jetty on our lake and marvel in the glorious scenery we have on offer. And once you've finished exploring, we recommend a visit to our spa and thermal suite for a relaxing steam before you dine in our award-winning Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TravelUp, Priceline, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, Lake District