We stayed in this hotel for 8 nights in March. We booked one of their feature suits (described on the website as "luxurious") which couldn't be more misleading. It was a great waste of money as it was nothing more than a spacious room with dated and a very mismatched decor, the fridge was broken (we complained, it was fixed and then it broke again), and only one of the two TVs worked, however the view from an average size window was great (the other window faced a brick wall). Our welcome tray consisted of few nougat sweets, mini bowl of humbug mints and some water, also our toiletries were not topped-up on daily basis. The bathroom was absolutely tiny, with door opening inwards, so if me and my partner were both there one could hardly move. However, the power shower was great. Also, the housekeeping staff does a great job and all was very tidy at all times.
The hotel bar, although with amazing views of the lake lacked atmosphere. We've ordered a cosmopolitan and mojito there and both were awful. Also, tried a soup there which turned out to be a tasteless, watery, green mixture.
The hotel breakfast is nice although if you arrive after 9.30am you may find that they don't top up their buffet, so if the yogurt bowl is empty, there will be no more available.
We believe that there is something seriously wrong with the management of this hotel.
On the plus side we thought that the service was very good and we wanted to say thank you to Gosia from Reception, Pawel from the restaurant as well as two other (we guess) Spanish girls who serve the breakfast and were absolutely lovely. There is also a very nice young chap who works at the bar, we unfortunately don't remember his name.
We've been to the Lakes before and stayed at some wonderful four and five stars there. We won't be going back to the Old Macdonald for sure.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels. Set on the shores of Lake Windermere - England's largest lake - our hotel offers the best of breathtaking scenery and exceptional facilities. From unrivalled views over our mature lawns, to private jetties and moorings on the lake - our hotel proves a popular choice for family holidays. Our hotel in Cumbria is perfect for country adventures - hire a private jetty on our lake and marvel in the glorious scenery we have on offer. And once you've finished exploring, we recommend a visit to our spa and thermal suite for a relaxing steam before you dine in our award-winning Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Superbreak UK, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Expedia, getaroom.com, LateRooms, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, HotelsClick and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, Lake District