“Disappointing - Faded glory”

Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Lasswade, United Kingdom
“Disappointing - Faded glory”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Having read other reviews I decided to make a reservation. All I can say is that what is one person's heaven can be another's hell. This hotel does not deserve the previous paudits and I write this to give some balance.

I made the reservation online, the price was a bit on the high side but I thought what the hell. Online reservations come with a £10 credit on food or drink, however staff on check-in failed to remind me.

I paid for a feature room, which was described as in the new lake wing with uninterupted views of the lake. On arrival I was asked if I had stayed at the hotel before to which I replied no. I have Diamond status with Hilton and Platinum with IHG but this was the first stay at MacDonalds.

Given the room they allocated to me I think they thought that as I hadn't stayed there before they couold fob me off with any old room. The room was in the old hotel and not in the lake wing. The views were not uninterupted to I returned to reception. I showed them their description of the room I should have been allocated and was quickly changed. This treatment is almost fraudulent.

The second room was as described and the views truly are great, however, this hotel is in need of refurbishment. The term NEW is only relative to the age of the original building. I think this wing was built about 8 years or so ago but has the feel of and 1960's motel. They obvioously haven't bothered to keep up the maintenance.

The bedroom window sills have the top layer of ply or cheap MDF separating and looks like a very bad blister; there were two burn marks on the carpet from someone leaving an iron on it; the furniture is fake old and cheap and would be better of in the skip next door; the bed was supposed to be a double but was in fact two singles (not connected properly) and zipped together. I'm sorry but no matter how strong the zip is you cannot lose the sag in the middle. The wallpaper is peeling away from the bootom of the wall to the bathroom and it is clear they have a flooding there that was badly fixed.

The bathroom floor tiles were badly chipped; the tiles on the wall at the bottom of the bath are coming away and the sealant is brown (should be white or off white) and filthy. The bathroom door has a one inch gap at the top and I think this may have come from the flooding in the bathroom where they may have cut the bottom of the door and then reversed it. The paint on the door seems to have been nothing more than an undercoat or a matt and then they forgot to gloss it.

This room (321) was not worth the £151 paid for it and the management should be ashamed of themselves. I did ask to speak to the duty manager to offer feedback but he/she was too busy. What does that tell you?

On another point watch out for the check in and check out times, 1600 and 1100 respectively. These times are more in keeping with a cheap B&B in Blackpool than a 4 star international chain. Customer friendly this is not. To make matters even more customer unfriendly they state that if you need the room longer then check with reception but again be very wary, to keep it until 1300 it will costyou an extra £40 and until 1400 a whopping £50. You should be ashamed.

I do concede that the breakfast was very good but the dirty cup on the table just reinforced my overall disappointment.

This hotel states it is 4 star but seriously this is 2 star quality but with asperations to achieve 4 star status. If this was going to tempt me to transfer loyalty then MacDonalds will need to do a lot better than this. You spoiled a short break.

Room Tip: Lake wing but not 321 until they sort it out.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mike2576
Edward C, Manager at Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
We were disappointed to hear that our hotel did not meet with your personal preferences and will of course review your comments regarding the room allocated to you. It is of course pleasing to hear that you found the breakfast to be very good. With over 100 rooms to choose from and an ongoing investment programme that continuously sees rooms being refurbished year after year it is regrettable that on this occasion your stay did not meet with your expectation of not only the hotel but the Macdonald group.

For this we apologise and will of course ensure your comments are taken under consideration as part of our next wave of bedroom developments.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (565)
  • Arabic first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

On arrival at the hotel we were greeted by a nice receptionist who attended to our every wish. Got out car parked checked us in our room at around half 12 although they could not guarantee our room until 4pm. The pool facilities and spa were very nice. I attended my sisters wedding here was really nice. A few lively bars around here as well not that you can here them from the hotel but if you want to have a few drinks it caters for that as well. The only disappointment was the breakfast paying £13 per head for breakfast was not worth it as the sausage was generic the fried bread was disgusting and it took about 15 minutes for it to arrive. The food for the wedding however was lovely but small portions if you have a big appetite fill up on the bread rolls.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank adamtstravels
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Stayed here as a surprise for my 21st birthday. Upgraded the room for a guaranteed Lake View and was not disappointed! We were in the older part of the hotel ( the rest has been updated) it could do with modernizing as well but was still lovely!
Every member of staff were polite and friendly. Food was amazing, especially breakfast !
Spa is lovely and relaxing, a tad expensive but worth it. The only thing that let it down was that for the spa you have to get changed in the same place as people going swimming! It got the point were we got changed in the toilets as the changing rooms were soaking from swimmers.
The lounge is a lovely place to sit and relax and enjoy the views while having a cocktail. Hotel location is great, right on the lake.
Loved this place and would definitely visit again !

Room Tip: If you want guaranteed lake view room, upgrade! ( its not that expensive and definitely worth it)
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank feeeg
Wirral
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

My partner booked here for my 50th Birthday surprise.... When we arrived they parked our car for us and when they found out it was my birthday they arranged a surprise bottle of wine on chill in our Executive Room and although the booking in time is 4pm our room was ready at 2pm so no problem..... Hotel is so lovely right on the lake..... Spotlessly clean..... All staff very pleasant and helpful..... Hotel is very quiet and so relaxing ...... Breakfast room is beautiful overlooking the lake and as for the breakfast it was the best we've ever had in any hotel , everything you could possibly want with loads of choice and fantastic service .... Wouldn't hesitate at all in staying again !!!!

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Tricia J
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here to celebrate silver wedding.

First class hotel with first class staff made to feel welcome, staff were polite helpful & friendly at all times.

The treatment at the spa was superb was made extra special by being offered the couples room.

The restaurant is very good food fresh & cooked well again service was very good.

The hotel is ideally situated the town is 5 mins away and the lake 2 mins.

I would like to thank all the staff at the hotel for a wonderful stay.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank simmo90
Northumberland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

This is a very nice hotel with all the qualities you would expect from an 'old fashioned' place and slap bang on Lake Windermere
Lovely lounge and good service with unbeatable lake views
Lake view bedrooms superb with comfy beds and quality furnishings
Just about to try the pool!

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Graeme U
We were pleased to hear you enjoyed your time at the hotel, especially our new beds and bedding package. The views are also just as good from the pool. We hope you enjoyed your swim.

Many Thanks
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Beautiful location and a lovely hotel. Clean and fresh (we stayed in new part of hotel) older building did look little tatty. Staff were so friendly and bent over backwards to help us. We have 2 small children and they were made so welcome. The concierge were so helpful and valet parking is included and they were so quick to get the car. Breakfast is fresh and served by friendly, happy staff. We are already planning our next visit. This is a true credit to the Macdonald group. Thank you.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Crazymavis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier Collection
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier C...
#8 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
#19 of 20 in Windermere
Storrs Hall
Storrs Hall
#5 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!