“Regular visitor - great old fashioned standards”

Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We have had afternoon tea here regular and its always a pleasure.
The service provided has a hint of oldie world manners and respect often missing today - the team here should be very proud.
The ambience is great and the toilets are worthy of a special mention for cleanliness.
At the weekend we bobbed in for an afternoon drink on the patio - great service, great view and not extortionate.
A gem in the centre of Bowness

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,039)

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I booked this hotel as an anniversary present for my wife. I paid extra for the view of the Lake and breakfast. I wish i did not bother. The room we had initially was beautiful.. a great view of the Lake. However, we found that the hot water was not working. We then got moved to a room with of the garden (not what i paid for). I complained and then was shown a different room, which was smaller and on the second floor and a poor view. They did not even offer a better or equal room and as a regular visitor at Macdonald hotels, i was very disappointed. The breakfast was even worse. Bacon was tough and i paid nearly 60 quid for breakfast for me and wife in advance. I ended up counting my losses and having breakfast at a local cafe. (which was so much better).
Overall, if you ask for a 'Lake view' room, make sure you get Room numbers 301-308. They are the best. Do not pay for any other Lake view rooms, as they are either on the second floor, or a view of the park. Also, i would not bother with breakfast. If i had my original room and breakfast was good, i would have definitely have given a rating of 4, as the hotel is in a perfect location. The bar staff and the cleaners are extremely friendly. The staff at reception did not really assist at all. The Spa was good but pricey. So in conclusion, the rooms are nice but if i paid extra for a lake view.. i would like one.

Room Tip: 301-308 for lovely views of the Lake
5  Thank Pratik D
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Hotel clean, extremely well appointed, and beautifully situated overlooking Lake Windermere.Upgrading to a suite was a very pleasant surprise. As were the daily glasses of champagne. Staff pleasant and helpful. Some extremely so. BUT, unfortunately, our evening meals were very disappointing, and that's being kind. Although our complaints were handled well it was obvious that there was a serious problem behind the kitchen doors! We would revisit this hotel for the positives listed but our dinners would take place elsewhere.

Room Tip: Overlooking the lake. Other views poor. Suite excellent.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nick M
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Great location. Lovely rooms. My husband and I visited for 2 nights. We had lunch and wine in the lounge which was nice. Our room had a partial lake view we would stay again it's right on the lake lots of shops and restaurants very close by

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I recently stayed in a hotel in Windermere and called into the old england for a drink. I had always wanted to have a look in as it is a beautiful place. I was told at the bar I had to sit at a table and someone would take my order. They were very busy. It took 15 minutes for my order to be taken and after another 10 minutes without getting any drinks I walked out. It was not the staffs fault as they were very busy but I do think more staff should have been brought in to deal with the amount of customers. My husband and myself will not be going there again. There are lots of other nice places to get a drink.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank annestav52
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We arrived at around 10am ish myself and my husband for a relaxing day to celebrate our anniversary.
Relaxing???????? Say the least!!! We had kids jumping in pool, screaming, throwing ice everywhere from the ice room!! We literally went in at got out within 15 mins!!
I went and complained as so disappointed. Never will we go there again! Over rated and pool tiny comparison to website pictures!
Shame

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jess J
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Stayed for One night on our way to scotland and we were impressed with the lakeview room which was very well equipped. The quality of food was very good and sitting on the verandah in the sun, overlooking the lake was a great way to spend the evening.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mike c
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield
Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield
#6 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier Collection
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier C...
#8 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
#17 of 20 in Windermere
Storrs Hall
Storrs Hall
#5 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!