From the moment we turned in, we were greeted by a large tour group consisting of senior citizens. We waited till our turn but the lady at the desk told us to wait (not sure why because she isn't doing anything, maybe because she can't multi-task) so finally she got to us and check in took another 30 mins because she was so slow and inefficient. The other male member at he concierge was also inefficient when dealing with his clients too. So anyway, we paid about £176, which was not the cheapest room. Wondering if it was a room with a lake view, we found out after much difficulty (probably due to their inefficiency) that we could only get a room with a lake view with an upgrade fee of £20. We went for it. Another problem we had with the concierge is that after telling them to park our car (at a cost of £10), it was still left outside of the hotel near a ditch almost 2 hours after check in. This is ridiculous as we had a lot of expensive equipment in it.
Moving on to the room, we had 309. Do not think its on the 3rd floor, instead, it's in the basement. Whilst entering the room, we realised that well, it is a room with the view of the lake, but it was more of a garden view, with a slight view of the lake. That's £20 extra for a room that has no privacy as kids are constantly playing in the garden. The room was old, and so hot in the summer. What kind of hotel has no air conditioning?! The light was dim when its first turned on and insects kept flying into the room at night because they're attracted to the light. (We had no choice but to open the window because it is so hot in the room)
On to the facilities. During check in, the lady told us about their on site spa facilities which is beautiful and amazing. Those aren't the words that came to mind when we went to the pool. It was absolutely a disappointment. The pool was small, and old and there were kids playing and throwing each other in the pool, which was a nuisance. The saunas stunk so bad (even the one that was supposedly aromatic). We left the "spa" within 30 mins.
The hotel is in a good location, if you want to be in the middle of all the tourist activity.
Finally on check out, we were hoping for a quick and easy check out, but no, instead of understanding that the bill was already being paid, they went on to charge the amount on my card. And when i realised and told them about it, they "mistakenly" charged it on the card again. So it took another £20 for their inefficiency as they scramble to refund the amount to me. Which is annoying because money will be held on my card.
I think this hotel operates worst than any motel. They are charging ridiculous prices thinking that they are a luxury hotel which they are clearly not. The concierges in the hotel are so inefficient and should not be working there. This hotel is a disgrace to the Macdonald chain of hotels which is probably why they "changed" their name to the old England hotel and spa.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels. Set on the shores of Lake Windermere - England's largest lake - our hotel offers the best of breathtaking scenery and exceptional facilities. From unrivalled views over our mature lawns, to private jetties and moorings on the lake - our hotel proves a popular choice for family holidays. Our hotel in Cumbria is perfect for country adventures - hire a private jetty on our lake and marvel in the glorious scenery we have on offer. And once you've finished exploring, we recommend a visit to our spa and thermal suite for a relaxing steam before you dine in our award-winning Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TravelUp, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, Lake District