We stayed here last year in a second rate shabby room , this year we stayed in a newly refurbished room , WOW! what a difference , these rooms are what you would expect from a top class modern hotel , well done Old Macdonald !
I can only describe our room (131) as fit for a king , fantastic bathroom , robes , hair dryer , safe , fan , fridge etc. The only reason I didn't give this hotel five stars was the lack of air conditioning , the (very quiet) fan provided in the room saved us from melting in our beds , we left it running all night .
We found all the staff around reception friendly and professional , and particularly appreciated the valet parking. There was an issue with newly imposed parking fees which didn't affect us last year. I pointed out to reception that I hadn't seen anything on the website about parking charges and that £10.00 a day was a bit extreme , thankfully the receptionist reduced this to £5.00 a day which is more of a reasonable amount per day. If Old Macdonald insist on £10.00 a day to park next year I would regretfully look to stay elsewhere.
The jewel in the crown for us was the pool , ice-room , sauna and steam room. Yes the pool can get busy at times but not at all times of the day. The staff were friendly and helpful and we really enjoyed the pool amenities.
We stayed bed and breakfast and so cannot comment on the hotel restaurant and bars. we really enjoyed the choice of food at breakfast however if you enjoy an English cooked breakfast I would recommend using a local café , you will get a bigger and better quality breakfast a lot cheaper.
I did have an issue with finding a piece of metal from an industrial pan scrub embedded in my poached egg on our last day , not good but I suppose were only human. The staff at breakfast didn't seem to be managed in any way , although they were very friendly.
We really enjoyed our stay at the Old Macdonald and would recommend it providing you book a room in the refurbished part of the hotel and the parking was set at no more than £5.00 a day.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels. Set on the shores of Lake Windermere - England's largest lake - our hotel offers the best of breathtaking scenery and exceptional facilities. From unrivalled views over our mature lawns, to private jetties and moorings on the lake - our hotel proves a popular choice for family holidays. Our hotel in Cumbria is perfect for country adventures - hire a private jetty on our lake and marvel in the glorious scenery we have on offer. And once you've finished exploring, we recommend a visit to our spa and thermal suite for a relaxing steam before you dine in our award-winning Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelUp, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Expedia, LateRooms, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, HotelsClick and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, Lake District