we arrived on saturday, at dinner time. very lucky because our "family room" was ready. check in time is 4 pm!!!!!! the staff at the desk were very courteous and friendly as was ron the consierge, what a funny guy. unfortunately the courtesy and respect stopped there. the family room was basically a bunk bed in a very tired looking tiny room which you couldn't open the wardrobes in. i stayed in this room 20 years ago and my brother and myself were kept awake by the inadequate curtains at the window with a lamp shining outside. next generation, still the same problem!!!! we spent a lovely day around bowness, used the excellent spa facilities. the children are restricted to 12-2 and 4-6 for the pool. this is for respect for the members (gym, i presume) and will be "strictly adhered to" if they don't want children in the pool, don't have family rooms! they do, however, like charging £212 for the said "family room." after this alloted session at the spa we tried to get a drink in the terrace bar. the wind was blowing right through. my dad asked if they could shut the doors and was answered very abruptly that the doors MUST stay open. the barman left us and we sat down. we waited 15 minutes and still no one took our order so we moved to the lounge. the waiter aproached us and took the tablecloth off the table and then walked away. ten minutes later my husband went looking for him to order some drinks. the waiter said he would be over because "that is what i am here for" still waited a further 5 minutes and then took our order. because they had no crisps to buy in the hotel and my children wanted some crisps, i went to the shop across the road to get some for them. the waiter came flying over, the fastest i had seen him move to tell us that it wasn't allowed. i said that i didn't think it was a problem as they didn't sell crisps in the bar and i would have bought them if they had. i was told that this was "NO EXCUSE" and it was still not allowed. He was very insulting in his manner and stance. going off that service, we didn't eat in the hotel and chose to eat out. we then called in at the terrace bar for a drink and again had to wait 20 minutes from arriving to actually getting our drinks! the children had trouble sleeping in the room as previously mentioned. the bed in the main bedroom is no way near a double bed. the breakfast the following morning was a joke. my husband and dad asked for tea. the smallest teapot arrived after 10 minutes which barely filled one cup, never mind two. you couldn't catch any member of staff's eye and when you eventually did, they acted as though you were being unreasonable requesting, perish the thought, a secong pot of tea. turns out that it was in fact a pot for one anyway. the term left hand doesn't know what right hand doing certainly describes this hotel to a t. i'm very disappointed with this hotel and will never return. just one last thing, check out is 11 am. seems a bit early for me since check in isn't till 4pm. looking around the lakes there are plenty of hotels with the same facilities, the wordsworth in grasmere for one at around the same price and we will definately go there next time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels. Set on the shores of Lake Windermere - England's largest lake - our hotel offers the best of breathtaking scenery and exceptional facilities. From unrivalled views over our mature lawns, to private jetties and moorings on the lake - our hotel proves a popular choice for family holidays. Our hotel in Cumbria is perfect for country adventures - hire a private jetty on our lake and marvel in the glorious scenery we have on offer. And once you've finished exploring, we recommend a visit to our spa and thermal suite for a relaxing steam before you dine in our award-winning Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelUp, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Agoda, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, Lake District