I booked a two night trip to the lakes for my mother and I, as this was her first trip to England, and we wanted to do something special for a few days before my wedding. Upon booking the room, I emailed the hotel to specially request a quiet room, and in return received a pleasant email saying they would indeed find us a peaceful room in a tranquil setting. Right. Our room was right above the parking garage, with cars coming and going all night. Right outside the window was a nightclub, from which we could hear dance music until 2am. Next to this was a construction site, where they started working at 7am, though that didn't matter, as we could hear the hotel cleaning staff banging the doors to the storage closet next door from 6am. Needless to say, it was far from peaceful! Add to this a very poorly serviced and limited optioned expensive breakfast buffet, and a waiter in the bar who made us feel completely stupid for asking what something on the menu was. It's a shame, really, as other Macdonald hotels have been good to us before, but we won't be returning to the chain again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels. Set on the shores of Lake Windermere - England's largest lake - our hotel offers the best of breathtaking scenery and exceptional facilities. From unrivalled views over our mature lawns, to private jetties and moorings on the lake - our hotel proves a popular choice for family holidays. Our hotel in Cumbria is perfect for country adventures - hire a private jetty on our lake and marvel in the glorious scenery we have on offer. And once you've finished exploring, we recommend a visit to our spa and thermal suite for a relaxing steam before you dine in our award-winning Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, Lake District