There was nothing to find fault about. The staff were very helpful, friendly and efficient. The rooms, whilst not huge, were very comforatable. The bed and pilllows were the best I have found outside my own home (we have a very comfy bed). The restaurant service was very good and there seemed to be a high ratio of staff to guests.
As for the food, breakfast was full english or a choice of various smoked fish, all very hearty and very tasty. Dinner was a limited choice but what there was was presented very well and tasted very good.
The swimming pool and spa were well used by us this included ice room, steam room and sauna. All very refreshing and all immaculately presented.
We intend to return for another weekend break in the next month or so.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels. Set on the shores of Lake Windermere - England's largest lake - our hotel offers the best of breathtaking scenery and exceptional facilities. From unrivalled views over our mature lawns, to private jetties and moorings on the lake - our hotel proves a popular choice for family holidays. Our hotel in Cumbria is perfect for country adventures - hire a private jetty on our lake and marvel in the glorious scenery we have on offer. And once you've finished exploring, we recommend a visit to our spa and thermal suite for a relaxing steam before you dine in our award-winning Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelUp, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, LateRooms, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, Lake District