My fiance and I stayed for a 2 night break during a very cold February! I had some reviews about the hotel which seemed a bit mixed, but we had a wonderful stay.
When we arrived at the hotel, we were warmly welcomed by the reception staff. We arrived almost 2 hours before check-in (hoping we could leave our bags) but the receptionist informed us that our room was ready and we could go straight down!
What a room! The room was booked as a suprise by my fiance. It was a stunning lake view room, and what a view! If you jumped out of the window, two paces and you would of had your feet wet by the lake, we were that close! The weather outside was freezing, but the room was warm, clean and cosy.
There was everything in the room which you would expect. Tea and coffee making facilities, trousers press, TV, mineral water, telephone, toiletries and the most huge comfortable bed I've slept on! I was very impressed by the room!
The Lounge area is very nice to sit and have a coffee, which we did. The staff are always about and very friendly and helpful.
We used the Thermal Suite from the spa facilities which was wonderful! Very clean and quiet. We also enjoyed just chilling by the side of the pool.
We had a continental breakfast included in our stay. They were serving it until 10am (which is better than some places which we've stayed in, not so much of a rush in the morning!). We were quickly seated with more amazing views of the lake. Drinks and toasts are ordered at the table and any hot breakfast, for an additional supplement. We didn't have a cooked breakfast as the continental style was ample for us and to be honest, I wasn't convinced that the cooked options were really value for money. Again, the staff were very friendly and helpful during breakfast. There is a wide range of juices, cereals, fruits and pastries....but don't get there too late! We got there around 9.30am the first morning and found that the selection wasn't as good as going a bit earlier on the second morning! Going back up for 2nds and 3rds was wonderful!
All in all we had an amazing time and we're sad to leave!
A good clean hotel, with friendly and helpful staff. We hope to return again soon.
Thank you Old England!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels. Set on the shores of Lake Windermere - England's largest lake - our hotel offers the best of breathtaking scenery and exceptional facilities. From unrivalled views over our mature lawns, to private jetties and moorings on the lake - our hotel proves a popular choice for family holidays. Our hotel in Cumbria is perfect for country adventures - hire a private jetty on our lake and marvel in the glorious scenery we have on offer. And once you've finished exploring, we recommend a visit to our spa and thermal suite for a relaxing steam before you dine in our award-winning Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TravelUp, Booking.com, Priceline, Odigeo, Ebookers, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, Lake District