We were there the weekend before the Bank Holiday so - obviously - the weather was superb. At one point it was about 27 degrees centigrade out on the hotel terrace. The garden goes down to the Lake; where you can berth you gin palace and come ashore for cocktails!
Our two night break was excellent value - there was an offer on so we got 30% off the DB&B rate and then a further £20 in vouchers to spend on our stay. We paid slightly more to upgrade to a larger room with a Lake view. This well worth doing. It's a busy Lake and there's always something interesting to watch. And you get bathrobes! The food and the service are superb and the restaurant has a super view staight down to the Lake. Beer and lager prices are very slightly more than neighbouring pubs - but they haven't got the terrace, the Lake view and the waiter service.
The swimming pool is wonderful - a decent size for swimming lengths. And everything in the wet area is very clean and tidy. It's a very good place for family occasions.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa is one of the finest 4-star Lake District hotels. Set on the shores of Lake Windermere - England's largest lake - our hotel offers the best of breathtaking scenery and exceptional facilities. From unrivalled views over our mature lawns, to private jetties and moorings on the lake - our hotel proves a popular choice for family holidays. Our hotel in Cumbria is perfect for country adventures - hire a private jetty on our lake and marvel in the glorious scenery we have on offer. And once you've finished exploring, we recommend a visit to our spa and thermal suite for a relaxing steam before you dine in our award-winning Restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Macdonald Old England
- Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa Bowness-On-Windermere, Lake District