“Great service and relaxation in the Lakes”
Review of The Ryebeck

The Ryebeck
Reviewed 23 July 2011

Just been back to the Fayrer Garden after a couple of years and it really is better than ever.

Can't believe the last reviews, our expectation was already high since our last visit and Mark and his team didn't disappoint. As professional and friendly as ever, always having time to help us and make us feel special. The food is to die for, plenty of selection, always hot and great portion size, especially after a long walk in the hills!

Our room looked over the beautiful gardens and was spotlessly clean, as we expected. We will no doubt be back again soon as our memories of this fabulous hotel are cherished.

Room Tip: We love room 19, spacious with a lovely garden view
2  Thank WC56
Write a ReviewReviews (1,076)

Reviewed 22 July 2011

This is almost a very good hotel, but our room meant it rather poor value.

It is a typical Lakeland-style large house and has great gardens and views. The food and the service are excellent. The timing of dinner courses was well managed, contrary to some other views – perhaps they have taken note.

The public lounge is spacious and attractive. The fabric and decoration of all the hotel’s public spaces was in very good order,

My only concern was our room. It was one of the cheaper ‘Standard’ rooms which the hotel says are ‘cosy’ and with ‘limited views’. They are not kidding! See the photos of the views from the two windows. It was just big enough, with space for one small armchair. The room was in good decorative order, although the bed was not of the first quality.

I think it rather dear for a hotel with rooms like this, even allowing for the hotel’s other qualities. Perhaps if you pay more for a better room, the overall impression would justify the cost.

Room Tip: Don't get room 6!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AllanKnaik
Reviewed 21 July 2011

We have stayed at this hotel previously and would have graded it as a 5 star for a small hotel. But on this occasion we have been slightly dissapointed. We were in a lake view room with french doors only we could not open them due to the inconsiderate couple in the room below us sitting outside chain smoking, as it was warm weather opening the doors would have been nice. Also the sofa in the room had never been vacumed or cleaned and the curtains had black stains on them. I used the bath on the first night only to find the bath had never been cleaned the day after. On the first night reception rang our room as we were five minutes late to ask were we coming down for dinner, then when ordering certain dishes they had ran out of them, is this acceptable when paying quite a bit of money for our stay? (This is an expensive rare treat for us). When we have stayed before we have received canapes before dinner in the bar area which we found very pleasant and different, this did not happen during our current stay. The evening meal menu never really changed all starters, main courses and desserts were the same. Breakfast would have been nice with fresh fruit on offer on the cereal table and not tinned. The dress code in the hotel brochure clearly states that jeans are not to be worn in the evening when dinning and this is good as it is nice to make an effort for the evening meal, this was not the case with certain guests. This hotel will have to up it's game if they would like to carry on providing the service guests have been used to over the years. We just feel the welcome of the staff and the quality was not as we have previously experienced which is a shame. But the location is fantastic due to the views. Would like to return as it has been previously and could be a nice retreat!!!!!

3  Thank SIX3OFUS
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Visited for 2 night stay, Mon and Tues. Took eighty year old parents.
Lovely welcome from Mark, who genuinely cared about our visit. All staff were excellent, however he stood out. Knew our room number without asking, had good local knowledge, supplied a map to enable us to get to the other lakes.

Breakfast was excellent. Evening meal was excellent, although perhaps a little pricey. Having said that everywhere is expensive. Even pub meals were coslty, but all of a very good quality.
Our rooms were standard and overlooked the front garden. The lounges have plenty of settees, they do not have a TV in public area, very peaceful.

The terrace was lovely in the evening. Weather helped of course.

Overall the stay was very relaxing, my parents loved it. We would return.

Room Tip: We booked via website venere. We had standard rooms which served our purpose, we didnt see other roo...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Saints13
Reviewed 19 July 2011

After a Manchester business trip, my wife and I journeyed from Chicago to the Lake District for the first time after hearing wonderful things from our English friends. Absolutely beautiful country and the Fayer Garden House Hotel was a good place to rest our heads. The staff was very welcoming and responsive to any questions or concerns.

Room 12 is a 2nd floor corner room with nice views of the lake and gardens. The tub was the perfect size to soak weary hiking bones in. The only (minor) complaint is that the mirror is a bit dark for shaving or makeup.

We had dinner here 2 of the 3 nights and found it very good. Love the pre-dinner canapes along with post dinner coffee/tea/chocolates in the living room. Breakfast was also good but after the second day we would have appreciated some more variety.

In retrospect, the only thing that we keep us from staying here again is that it is a full 15 minutes walk to town down a hill (up on the way home!). If we could, we would transplant the Fayrer and their staff to the middle of town, keep the view, and have perfection!

Reviewed 12 July 2011

My new husband and I stayed at the Fayrer Gardens on the 8th July for 2 nights, we got married at Kendal Registry office on Friday the 8th then travelled with our family to the Hotel for our Wedding Reception/Meal.
We both fell in love with Fayrer Gardens on our first visit while looking for somewhere to hold our Reception, When we first came to look at the Hotel it was a beautiful sunny day and as we drove down the driveway we noticed the lovely front Gardens and the Characterful exterior. We were greeted by the Manager Mark and before we had even begun to look around we knew we had found somewhere special. Mark was very professional, friendly and was able to answer all our questions without hesitation.
On the day of our Wedding we had planned to have champagne on arrival in the Hotel Gardens however we were not as lucky with the weather as we had been on our first trip. As we drove down the driveway it was pouring with rain and I was dreding having to get out of the car in my dress, as we drove closer to the door I could see the Manager Mark waiting for our arrival with an umbrella, he came round to my side of the car, opened the door for me and walked me to the entrance porch. This might not seem like much to some people but for me it instantly reminded me why I chose the Fayrer gardens, it is very difficult to find Customer service like that these days. I work in a 4* Hotel and deal with Weddings all the time and it's hard work ensuring other peoples Weddings go smoothly, Mark and his team did everything with such ease and professionalism.
As soon as all my family had come in from the rain we were treated to Champagne and Strawberries, the bar lounge was free for us to go into and use, afternoon tea was served with the most delicious cakes and scones I have ever had, everyone commented on how tasty they were! We had a break and checked into our rooms early evening, we took lots of photos and we able to access all areas of the hotel and my Champagne glass was never empty. We stayed in room 21 which had lovely views of Lake Winderemere and the Hotel gardens, the bed was very comfortable and and the room light and airey with a corner Jacuzzi bath/shower, the room had pleanty of storage and everything we needed, my Nana left home without flannels, soap, shampoo ect in all the chaos leaving for the Wedding but was thriled that the Hotel provided nearly everything she needed without her having to ask for it. I had no complaints from my family about rooms and we had 3 single and 3 double rooms and everyone seemed happy with thier rooms.
We all came down for dinner at 7:30 ish and had pre dinner drinks and canape's in the bar, we were introduced to the Restaurant Manager Brian, he was again very friendly and professional, he took our food and wine order just before it was time to be seated in the restaurant. (Amazing wine list, masses of choice) My husband and I were led into the restaurant after our guests had been seated and to our suprise there was a pianist which we were not expecting, We were played into the restaurant and all our family and other hotel guests cheered and smiled which was just so lovely and thoughtful as well as a complete suprise which the Hotel arranged. We were a party of 9 and were given 1 half of the resturant to ourselves which was great as we weren't in the way of other guests but we still felt welcome and part of the lovely atmosphere the Restaurant has. The Hotel had matched the flowers to my bouquet and colour scheme and provided me with a beautiful centrepiece for our table.
The food began to come out and everyone was served at the same time and we all ate each course together, the food was delicious i cannot recommend it enough, I had the melon to start, followed by a lovely Strawberry sorbet, my main was Pooley Bridge chicken which was divine and cooked to perfection, I finished with glazed rice pudding, the only downside was that I couldn't eat it all as my dress was so tight around my stomach!!! but it was amazing and again every single person commented on how great the food was. My husband and I had little roses made from tomatoes on our main courses which was a nice touch, i even took a photo! A HUGE BIG THANK YOU to the CHEFS, amazing!
Again Brian and his team ensured we had everything we needed and kept our wine glasses full, we had red, white and rose wine on the go at the same time but the staff new who wanted what and filled up accordingly. Shortly after our meal we were provided with more champagne to enjoy speeches, I didn't think it would be possible to do this without upsetting other guests but again it was made possible and added to our special day, we were even able to cut the Wedding cake. ( Brian, thanks for missing out my Dad a couple of times, it was hilarious and we wern't offended at all it added to the very special and wonderful memories we'll treaure for years to come)! After dinner we went back into the bar where we were able to open presents and enjoy more drinks, some more than others i'm afraid! again there was always someone on hand to serve us even untill the early hours of the morning, we need to say another big thankyou to who i pressume was the Night Porter serving us all night (don't know his name, very sorry! The men were very pleased with the hotel measures and prices and service they recieved so thank you, I hope we weren't too demanding)!
We all had breakfast together the following morning and again the food was very nice a good selection of cereals, fruit ect and wonderful cooked breakfast. The chef even found time to cut up our Wedding cake so our guests could leave on time with pleanty of cake to take with them.
My Husband and I stayed for another night and enjoyed lovely weather the second day (typical) but it enabled us to enjoy the surrounding areas, we drove to then climed Gummers How and enjoyed amazing views across Lake Winderemere and surrounding area which was around 5/10 minutes down the road, took a trip to the world of Beatrix potter again 5 minutes away not to mention Bowness itself with the wonderful pubs and quaint shops all within walking distance if you don't mind a brisk 15 minute walk, if you prefer to drive there is pleanty of parking in Bowness just get there as early as possible especially during Summer Months! We enjoyed breakfast in bed and more drinks and afternoon tea on the garden patio in the glorious sunshine which ended our Long Weekend beautifully. Our Wedding Day was more perfect than we both ever imagined and that was mainly down to the wonderful staff from Reception(lady with long dark wavy hair, very friendly and helpful) to the kitchen, even the housekeepers we bumped into were friendly and polite they even managed to give our room a tidy up while we had breakfast on our first morning so it was nice and clean when we returned (sorry for the chaos you had to battle through)!
So to round it all up, We had a fantastic time and will definatly be returning to Fayrer Gardens as will most of our family! It is perfect for a romantic getaway, a family adventure with all the activities on it's doorstep and perfect for a Wedding come rain or shine, the price is very reasonable for what you get, food is well worth the money and the staff make it that little bit more special. Thank you to you all sorry to anyone who's name we missed.
Hope to see you all very soon Mr & Mrs Paul & Naomi Knight.

Room Tip: Room 21, wonderful views over Lake Windermere, corner jacuzzi bath, light & airey, perfect if st...
2  Thank Knights96
Reviewed 10 July 2011

We have just returned from a one night stay having last visited around 4 years ago. Last time we had the newly refurbished loft room with stunning views across the the lake. On this occasion I think we had the smallest room in the hotel however it was clean nicely decorated and for the price we paid more than adequate. The food here is excellent, the staff are friendly and hard working and all in all this is the sort of place you come to for a relaxing couple of nights. It is not a hive of activity in fact the you can hardly hear the music in the restaurant above the conversation. I have only one criticism and it's very minor - can somebody give the Lake side of the building a lick of paint!

• Stayed: July 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Storrs Hall
Storrs Hall
#5 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier Collection
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier C...
#8 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
1 mi away
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#10 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield
Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield
#6 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Lindeth Howe
Lindeth Howe
#7 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to The Ryebeck? Share your experiences!