“loved every second”

The Ryebeck
Durham, United Kingdom
“loved every second”
Reviewed 12 July 2013

This small hotel should be a 4 or even 5 star, our room ( no.2) was lovely with double doors opening out in to the garden where a small table and 2 chairs had been placed. The staff were fantastic and couldn't do enough for us, we were lucky with the weather and it was 28decree's when we got there so we sat outside and had afternoon tea, it was so relaxing and peaceful, I can't wait to go back. I never saw any children there and it did seem to be a lot of couples over 50, but that suited me fine cause there was no loud music or parties to worry about. I would definitely pay the extra for a lake view if you can as the gardens and view is stunning. Food was fantastic, I did worry that it wouldn't be substantial for my husband who is a big eater, but it was fine, he was very happy with it, such care had been put into it, and the attention to detail was second to none. Well done to all the staff at the Fayrer hotel keep up the good work. We will be back soon...

Room Tip: lake view rooms are a must
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
WIGAN
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Having have stayed at Fayrer Garden many times previously, and I must admit thoroughly enjoyed, the Hotel was chosen as the third consecutive travelzoo offer of £169 for D. B & B. to celebrate our 55th Wedding anniversary. Our superior lake view room, No. 21, had a king size bed, a whirlpool bath and a juliet balcony overlooking the car park. Unfortunately on this occasion we were disappointed. Not in the Hotel or the Room but in the Restaurant. My wife ordered the Scallop for her starter, and that was what she received, one Scallop, although we were told it was a King Scallop, what a pity he wasn't accompanied, at least, by his Queen. For her main course, my wife had chosen the Lakeland Duck and I had chosen the Kentmere Lamb but we were both presented with Kentmere Lamb. Not wanting to complain my wife said that although she had chosen the Lakeland Duck she would accept the Lamb. Unlike myself my wife thought the Lamb was tasty, even though we had had Lamb as a main course, in a different Hotel, the previous evening, she would obviously have preferred the Duck. It would have helped if we had been offered mint sauce although it was subsequently offered to the couple on the next table. I can only assume the waiter, who was most apologetic and who hadn't taken our original order, was upset and confused. Additional vegetables are available at an extra cost, but surely the wording explains itself. Additional vegetables infers that vegetables are included but I do not consider one asparagus shoot with an extremely small baby carrot as sufficient in a main course. After all, how do you know if you require additional vegetables before knowing what vegetables are included. I get no satisfaction in complaining as it is now the practice in most Hotels we visit but a main course should be exactly that. Perhaps the practice was started because the included vegetables were returned uneaten. In that case we have only ourselves to blame.

4 Thank Wanderer74Wigan
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Looked forward to our 4th visit, the room was top notch, but then, that was what we'd paid for; the Lake view was lovely, but not quite as spectacular as previous years - those trees need a damn good pruning, but the biggest disappointment was the food. Superbly cooked, but such minuscule portions, nothing like the sumptuous plates of old. Starter of 'Scallops, was actually one scallop, the pork loin, which is not an expensive cut of meat, was served up as a small chunk of meat. Tasty, but tantalisingly inadequate. Pudding order was totally cocked up, then the correct dish arrived so late, we were past bothering. No apology, just 'oh' from the waiter (memo - staff need training in how to deal with cock ups - they are not the end of the world and 'sorry' makes a huge difference to the way that guests are made to feel)
It is a lovely hotel in a beautiful setting, our only regret was that we didn't do dinner somewhere else. In this day and age, value for money is just as important as quality, but Fayrer Gardens didn't quite cut it.

2 Thank AbC449
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2013

On arrival the driveway sweeps down to a stunning old and unique hotel in lovely surroundings and well kept grounds. Upon entering into the reception we stood and waited for approximately 5 minutes whilst we listened to the receptionist taking a booking and then giving instructions to the caller as to how to find the hotel! (Maybe acknowledge our presence and tell the caller 'I will call them back?') Anyway, we are taken to our room. FAYER GARDEN YOU WILL KNOW WHICH ROOM?!...... Our room overlooked the side car park?....... Upon entering the room, it looks nice and comfortable. A quick mooch round...and just to the right of the door to the room a gaping 3inch x 2inch HOLE IN THE WALL! Hmm! Also of the two bedside lamps, one lampshade obviously broken and very wobbly. We put our bags down and go out. On our return, I report the hole in the wall to the receptionist, I obviously don't want the blame coming back on us if it hasn't been noticed...... Reply from the receptionist is that 'WE KNOW ABOUT IT AND ARE LOOKING TO FIX IT'. OK?! (We are stopping for two nights but don't want to cause a scene.) We go down for dinner. The food is first rate. A bit annoyed at the chap who took our order: we order Pigeon as main. He asks "HAVE YOU HAD PIGEON BEFORE? ONLY SOME PEOPLE SOMETIMES DONT LIKE IT AND SEND IT BACK?" Well my friend, yes, we DO like pigeon, and venison, rabbit, pheasant, quail and other game....I'm really in the habit of ordering food I don't like and sending it back. Would this have been asked of us if we were more elderly? Anyway, as I said-great food and service in the restaurant apart from this. As for the sleep. It was very hot during our stay. Our room did not have ANY air conditioning OR fans nor did it have a small refrigerator to keep drinks etc cool. Apart from this, this is a nice hotel, in stunning surroundings. we used the gym and pool at the MacDonald Hotel in Bowness. Small good standard gym and pool. Pool had swim lessons on at the time so I'd phone a head to get a schedule. SO IN SUMMARY. This is a lovely romantic hotel. Very relaxing but when you consider the price you have the right to scrutinise and any hotel who starts charging high costs per room per night MUST get the basics right. Putting someone into a room KNOWING THERE IS A HOLE IN THE WALL IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. There should be free standing fans at the least AND a fridge to keep bottled water etc cool as standard. There was also no safe in the room as I saw. This should also be a given at the price . We would go back BUT I would be reminding them of the issues on our last visit and expecting an upgrade. I give the rating as 'average' based on the price for the room against the overall issues which should have been fixed in the room prior to us being put into it and what should be added. I could see my rating going up to excellent with more attention to detail and the guests.

Room Tip: Check where your room is situated in relation to the building. Remember the price is affected by whe...
2 Thank GNR05
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2013

we returned to Fayrer Garden for the ninth or tenth time looking forward to the usual beautiful views, superb rooms and excellent service. We left feeling more than a bit let down. The views were as good as ever from our lake view room but some things had changed and not for the better.
On arriving for our first breakfast we were told that "as someone had nicked our table he'd set one up for us" this was at the back of the room with no lake view to enjoy over a languid breakfast. I was not happy and challenged this, as on all previous vists tables were allocated according to the room booked with the expensive lake view rooms also enjoying the best seats for dinner and breakfast which was "your" table for the duration of your stay. This view was supported by the restaurant manager referring to it as "our" table that was "nicked" and he didn't move them as they'd already sat down?? As the practice was to leave one's Newspaper on the table clearly indicating the name of the expected guest these other guests had indeed decided to knowingly take a table they were not allocated and we were denied a facility for which we had paid.
After breakfast and having the start iof our holiday spoiled i mentioned my disquiet to the lady in reception who in a rambling response told us that one's room no longer entitled guests to a set table for the stay, or even a lake view and tables were allocared by resaurant staff at their discretion which seemed at odds with "our" table having been "nicked",
In general though staff were pleasant enough the very high standard of old had undoubtedly slipped and the Menu for dinner was the same for four days, this was a major deterioration in service and limited choice by the end of our stay.
Fayrer garden has fallen from excellent and thus worth its lofty prices to just OK and thus not good value. Time for a change methinks - something I haven't contemplated until now so Fayrer ye well.

4 Thank MartinDMaley
NJW84, Manager at The Ryebeck, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Firstly, I’m glad you that enjoyed the views. From what you said to me in person you also seemed to enjoy the food you had whilst staying with us so I'm glad about that.

I would like to clarify that the tables in our restaurant never have been and never will be 'paid for'. We allocate tables for dinner on a purely random basis and tables at breakfast are first come first served. The greatest shame in all of this is that you let what should have been a minor blip in your morning routine become such a huge event. Brian tried his best to make light of the situation by using the phrase 'nicked' before immediately offering you another table in the restaurant. For whatever reason, you refused this. I think it would have been unreasonable to uproot a couple who were midway through their breakfast. By the way, our breakfast, and the people that produce it, haven't changed in the last 8 years. Having said that we are due to make changes to the breakfast format and introduce some more fresh fruit and pastries.

Since you are a regular visitor to Fayrer, it is a real shame that you fail to mention that since your last visit we have completed renovated the room which you are in, and added a lot of extras which were never previously included in the room rate. The main bulk of our staff, including the gentleman in the restaurant and the rambling receptionist, have all worked here for many years and so it's a pity that you think they aren’t doing as well as they once were. Whilst we are at it, it's also disappointing that you've never taken the time to write a review about a stay that you have enjoyed with us. After all, if you've been back 9 times, we must have done something right at some point!

Whilst we are, of course, disappointed in the fact you didn't enjoy your stay as much as we both would have liked, it is hard for us to see what more we could have done to prevent this from happening.

Best Wishes ....
Blackpool
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Lovely hotel about 25 min walk to Bowness and £4.00 in a taxi. The hotel is set in acres of lovely gardens and very peaceful and quiet. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Not a lot of staff there as it always seem to be the same guy for the bar and breakfast. The room was nice but bit disappointed in the bathroom as this was very compact, and had a electric power shower which made a noise when you used it. There was a hole in the main door to our room, which we were not very impressed with. Breakfast was nice. We were a bit disappointed that you had to use The Old England Hotel for their swimming pool, as this now taking on coach parties, I think this would be difficult to manage to swim.

Do not think we would stay there again but would recommend it to others.

1 Thank kaz1061
Andrew_W_Owner, General Manager at The Ryebeck, responded to this review, 29 June 2013
Hi There,

Thank you for your review of Fayrer Garden. I'm really glad you found our hotel peaceful and quiet. We have spent the last few days trying to work out which of our rooms has a hole in the door, but have yet to find anything other than the one you put the key into?! Please help.

The standard rooms are the smallest but we think they represent great value for money. I do hope you decide to come and stay with us again at some point in the future.

Kind Regards,
Andrew
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Booked a last minute, impulse Sunday night on line deal (Cream Tea/ Room Upgrade/Dinner/Full Breakfast) at this hotel for my wife and myself as a last minute birthday present. The deal was good and the Hotel looked the small, independant, peaceful sort of place that we like. So the chance was taken. We were not disapointed.. The hotel is in a good spot above Bowness, with nice views over the lake -- our room was at the front of the hotel so we had the same views. Cream Tea, coffee and the Sunday papers in the lounge was a wonderful way to start to unwind and it only got better from then on. The Dinner was excellent and with the added bonus of watching the sunset over the lake as we ate, coffee in the bar and then a final stroll in the gardens before turning in ended a pleasant, relaxing day.. Breakfast the following morning was a fine way to begin the day before, sadly checking out. All of the staff were efficent, attentive and pleasant. My wife and I would definatly go back to this hotel and would have no hesitation recomending the Fayrer to anyone

Room Tip: Try to get the deal with the free upgarde - we were given a large fourposter and jacussi bath. Give...
2 Thank keithtatum1955
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
Linthwaite House
#6 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Burnside Hotel & Spa
Burnside Hotel & Spa
#8 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to The Ryebeck? Share your experiences!