“What a lovely afternoon tea!”
Review of The Ryebeck

The Ryebeck
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We booked the afternoon tea with prosecco through TravelZoo and were delighted with our experience. The hotel is decorated in a 'Laura Ashley meets Beatrix Potter' kind of very comfortable style, with tables and chairs on the terrace overlooking the grounds running down to the lake. Yes, the view would be improved if some of the trees were lopped, but it is a lovely location as it is. The staff were very welcoming, attentive and friendly and our afternoon tea was just excellent! Although we have one and a half hearty apetites between two of us, we both brought cakes away (in a cardboard box from the hotel). All in all a very pleasant, civilised experience and one to be recommended. Thanks to all concerned.

Room Tip: Not appropriate as we had afternoon tea not a bedroom.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank holiday096
There are newer reviews for The Ryebeck

Reviewed 24 July 2013

I stayed here by myself for 2 nights. I had a standard single room, which was just what I need with plenty of space too. The beds were comfy, tea and coffee making facilities and some delicious homemade shortbread provided too. I felt very welcome from the minute I stepped through the door, especially as it was the first time I'd stayed away on my own. Nothing was an issue, and with the perfect weather it was pleasant to sit outside in the garden and enjoy a view of Lake Windermere. Service was outstanding at both breakfast and evening - nothing was too much bother for any member of staff. Amazing food, clearly have some fantastic chefs who are extremely passionate. Couldn't have asked for somewhere better to stay and I would highly recommend this place to anyone. Will definitely be returning sometime in the not too distant future.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank JMS34987
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Wonderful hotel, staff were superb. Thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would recommend highly. Convenient location to Lake Windermere with stunning views. We came here for my brothers wedding in July 2013 and couldn't have been more delighted with the stay.

Room Tip: Worth paying a little extra for superior rooms with Lake views
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank CathyHolding
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our 3 nights at the Fayrer Garden House Hotel. We had a standard room (not lake view) which was small but very comfortable and well equipped with the added advantage of a bath and a shower in the bathroom. The staff were helpful and friendly. The breakfasts were good and the dinners excellent with a great menu choice on the 3 nights we stayed.
However, to nitpick, on the first night the service at dinner was painfully slow. At one point we thought we had been forgotten. But on subsequent nights there were no problems. The after dinner coffee on our second night (which is nicely served in the bar or lounge) was almost undrinkable. I realized that I should have returned the coffee and asked for more, but we were comfortably sat in the bay window of the lounge enjoying the views and it didn't seem worth the effort. There were no problems with the coffee on the other nights.
In spite of these two minor issues, we thoroughly recommend the hotel and we will return.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stayed at the hotel with friends, in the middle of the recent heatwave. The Hotel - Our rooms, which were the basic cheapest ones, were rather small and claustrophobic, but that was our choice, as the better rooms were quite a bit more expensive. We didn't intend spending too much time in the bedroom, so that was okay. The friendly, professional and accommodating staff made our stay enjoyable - nothing was too much trouble. The Food - The dinner and breakfast were excellent albeit the dinner verged on the nouvelle cuisine (small portions) but beautifully cooked and presented. We were given delicious and original canapes before and divine petits fours after. The breakfast is freshly cooked to order as opposed to those dreadful buffet offerings you get in some hotels - the only buffet is the cereal, fresh fruit and juice table. The tea is 'proper' tea leaves, which I haven't seen since my mother's time! And they had decaffeinated tea and green tea for us fussy types. The Location - It is set in lovely grounds with views from the terrace and lounge to lake Windermere. Bowness is about a 15-25 minute walk (depending on the temperature and your walking ability) which was a tad busy for us. Fine for families, but too crowded for us. For our first visit to the Lakes it was a wonderful introduction. We will return.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for with regard to views and space in the accommodation and they don't show...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank viajegrande
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We have had a meal in this restaurant many times and the quality and portion size have been very good.On this occasion the portion sizes were ludicrous.As another reviewer comments"Yes the menu does say scallop"-singular,but it was not even a large one and the accompanying "chicken oysters were barely visible.As for the main course of lamb-2 small mouthfulls-I do not exagerate.The accompanying vegetables similar.Other guests in the Lounge were expressing similar views.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank brianstead
Reviewed 14 July 2013

My husband always takes me to lovely hotels - this time he let me go in! (just kidding..)
The driveway down to the entrance of this hotel revealed a lovely old country house, real 'charm', so solid, oldy-worldy and very pretty. The lobby/hallway was very homely, it was more a 'house' than a hotel. I loved it immediately. The receptionist was friendly and showed us to our rooms. My husband and I were in room No 1 on the ground floor, my son in a single room (15) upstairs, it was a lovely room with two windows, bright and cozy. Our room (No 1) was gorgeous, not big, but very sumptuous, huge super king-size bed, lovely en-suite bathroom with large walk-in shower. (I shall attach pics if I can figure it out). Steps down from our room to a little terrace area outside with wrought iron table and two chairs - a perfect place to enjoy the scenery! Everything in the room was of a superior quality, the texture of the drapes and blind were beautiful, very thick, the bedding was lovely, super clean, white thick towels - all was as it should be. The drawers in the units were smooth and self-closing, everything was of a lovely quality - I was very pleased with it all.
The views from our room, and the terrace outside of it across to Lake Windermere were stunning, breathtaking! The weather was hot and sunny, adding to the glorious views in front of us! We had an afternoon cream tea and later on our evening meal, with canapes beforehand, which were yummy! My starter was beetroot and salmon, very strong flavours, followed by the lamb main course, very tasty, but quantity of vegetables lacking, a tiny carrot and equally tiny asparagus tip - but I was so happy with the food that I didn't mind, I eat too much anyway! (You can order extra vegetables if you wish for a small charge). Dessert was scrumptious, strawberries with meringue pieces and sorbet. Mmmm. I shall add pics.. The lounge areas are very comfortable and plush. The restaurant is super, views to the outside through large windows. The tables are set beautifully, linens are thick, white and luxurious-feeling. I loved every moment staying in this hotel. (I have also eaten in the restaurant at The Reids Palace, Funchal, Madeira, so I feel I have been spoilt). The waiting staff were quiet, not 'in your face' and very courteous. Breakfast next day was bountiful! All the usual 'full English' items and plenty to eat. Our stay was perfect! Also the bed was extremely comfortable. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Room Nos 1 and 2 are on ground floor with outside terrace. Lovely. Tranquil and quiet. Room No 15...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Storrs Hall
Storrs Hall
#5 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#9 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel
Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel
#7 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
The Burn How Garden House Hotel
The Burn How Garden House Hotel
#4 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier Collection
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier C...
#8 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to The Ryebeck? Share your experiences!