“Lovely hotel, beautiful gardens, cosy lounge and bar, wonderful evening meal”
Review of The Ryebeck

The Ryebeck
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Service and food was excellent. Spoilt for choice on the set dinner menu and all we finally chose was tasty and beautifully presented. The lounge and bar areas were extremely comfortable and attractively decorated and the dining room was bright and welcoming. This hotel has large, well kept, beautiful gardens, it was lovely to have a drink in the late afternoon sat on the terrace overlooking the gardens.

We chose a standard room, it was small but perfectly adequate, tastefully redecorated, overlooking the front garden with a comfortable bed and a compact but pleasant shower room.

We had booked at an offer price and it was great value for money.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,050)

Reviewed 8 June 2014

My wife and I had a three night break at the Ryebeck Hotel as a special treat for my Wife’s 65th birthday. We paid just over £600 for three nights dinner, bed and breakfast with a first floor superior room overlooking the Lake.
The room which had recently been refurbished was large and had a good view of the lake. It had a lovely kingsize bed, a large flat screen TV and a Jacuzzi style bath and shower in the en-suite. The towels were excellent. Homemade biscuits were provided and replenished each day.
There is no lift in this hotel. However, assistance to carry cases upstairs is available on request. There was no hairdryer supplied in the room and the hotel information folder was missing. These are also available on request. There was a limited range of toiletries provided in the room. No shower cap, shampoo or conditioner were supplied, although these may have been available on request.
When we read the hotel information we were pleased to see that the hotel “only welcome well behaved children over the age of 5 into (the restaurant) for the comfort and peace of our other guests”. It also indicated “A peaceful atmosphere is an important part of our dining experience, so we request that mobile phones are switched off in the restaurant”. So we looked forward to having a peaceful and quiet dining experience.
On the first night we had a nice intimate meal which we both enjoyed. However, on the second night a group of nine middle aged persons on one table were extremely loud, shouting across the table to each other and generally having no regard for other diners. At times the noise from their table was so loud that it was difficult to hear my wife. By the look on the faces of other diners they also were upset.
After the meal I discovered that the group were dining the next day and I asked the head waiter if something could be done about the noise for the next day. He only suggested that we sit in a different place. The next day, although we sat further away, we still found the noise from the group disturbing, as they shouted at each other across the table. It appears that nothing had been said to them. Unfortunately, even though the food was very good, both evenings were ruined for us. The staff informed us that this group were return visitors and had behaved similarly before.
We spoke to the owner of the Hotel when we were leaving regarding the noisy group, particularly in light of the statements regarding a tranquil dining atmosphere. He did not apologise or undertake to speak to the group who were continuing their stay. He said that it was difficult as the hotel try to make everyone happy. However, he commented that the hotel had clearly not kept us happy.
The restaurant has little soft furnishings, only the chairs have fabric. There are no curtains, only blinds, little carpeting, mainly ceramic floor tiles, and no table cloths. Therefore nothing to absorb sound.
The hotel is situated about a mile from Bowness Centre. Bowness is a crowded tourist trap, so you may wish to be situated outside Bowness in a more peaceful setting such as this. However, the walk to Bowness is along well used roads with extended stretches with no pavement.

Plus Points for the hotel.
Nice large room, recently refurbished with large flat screen TV and comfortable kingsized bed, Jacuzzi style bath and shower and lovely towels and dressing gowns.
Good view of the Lake from the room.
Very colourful and well kept gardens.
Tea, coffee and homemade biscuits in the room
Evening meals were excellent and, well presented.
Negative Points
WiFi only works in the lobby and part of the Guest Lounge. There is a very limited or no signal in the rooms.
Room servicing was not carried out very well. The carpet was not vacuumed while we were there and used drinking glasses were not replaced.
Restaurant menu did not change while we were there. There were six main course options, with only one vegetarian option.
The breakfast was fairly standard. It was nothing special for a hotel of this level.
Wine was rather expensive, with house wine starting at £19.00 per bottle.
The hotel does not adhere to it’s own peaceful dining principles.
If you decide to stay here request a room with a view of the lake, (at extra cost) but make sure that there are no large parties booked at the same time.

Room Tip: Book a Lake View room on the first floor.for a good view. Also bring your own shampoo and conditione...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank TravellerCymruWales
Reviewed 4 June 2014

If this rating were based solely on the food, it would be 5 star all the way. The chef here knows how to tickle the taste buds with his/her choice and mixtures of ingredients; I could not find fault at all.
Where did they lose a star then? I had booked a room for my wife and I and our dog 3 months back. When we arrived, I was told that there were no dog-friendly rooms left; they were all in the annexes and dogs weren't allowed anywhere in the main hotel. So much for dog-friendly! I asked what she was going to do about it, since I had a confirmed booking, including the dog, paid in advance. We were given a ground floor room, near a fire exit and pretty-well told to use that door with the dog, to maintain the view that no dogs were allowed in the hotel.
The room itself was small, though well-furnished and clean; certainly no room to swing a cat, though they were probably not welcome either.
The shower produced only a trickle of water and you were required to run around to get wet! So that was my morning exercise before I took the dog out for his!
Seriously, this hotel has a great deal going for it; magnificent views, lovely gardens which are well-kept and all so close to the heart of the lake district. Would I return? YES, I most certainly would - give it a try!

Room Tip: I can only say that room 3 is ideal if you like a small room with no water pressure in the shower!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul R
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Stayed here on an overnighter recently. I am not particularly easy to please and whilst the room we were given was small and overlooking the front garden, it was fine.
The food at breakfast was good and the Dinner was even better and excellent value. The service throughout was faultless and this hotel is linked to the Old England so you can use their leisure facilities if you wish.
The views and the siting area at the rear of the hotel are really good too. The gardens are magnificent and the gardener here seemed a very pleasant chap and does an excellent job.
Without a doubt we would be happy to stay here again and hope to do so.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I was taken to this hotel for my birthday and what a great birthday I had!
We were shown to our room which was small but stylish and we had a lovely view of the front garden. We had a lovely pre-meal walk into Bowness - a bit hilly and we did run out of pavement a few times but it definitely improved our appetites. We returned, dressed for dinner, and went downstairs to the lounge - it had been explained at check in that if we sat in the lounge or bar we would be brought canapés and then shown to our table. I had a fantastic gin and tonic and ordered a bottle of red for the table.
I started with the mackerel pate, which to be honest was missing something, either pepper or horseradish, but that was a personal taste, my boyfriend had the open crab ravioli - I was jealous - it was fantastic!
For main I had the lamb three ways which was impeccable and my boyfriend had the trio of pork , I can't really comment as he refused to share as it was so good.
I finished with the coffee combination dessert and can recommend highly! My boyfriend had cheese.
I slept incredibly well and would go back in a flash! I recommend it for a special little getaway. We had rubbish weather but I still enjoyed it immensely!

1  Thank MillaMarie
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed here for our wedding anniversary recently and it was gorgeous. We stayed in room 12 which was gorgeous with a view of the lake from your bed. In gorgeous grounds and lovely to sit outside with some fizz, great views. The food was outstanding and the staff very friendly and could not do enough for us. What a find.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Linda M
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

I can't praise this hotel enough! But I'll try.. On arrival we received a really warm welcome, all the staff were pleasant and helpful. The hotel is immaculate, the public areas, the restaurant and the rooms. All appear to have been very recently refurbished to a high standard with luxury fittings. We enjoyed afternoon tea in the lounge over looking the beautiful gardens. We had an amazing 3 course meal in the evening which was perfectly cooked high end cuisine using only quality ingredients. Breakfast was plentiful and of great quality. The hotel is a short walk from Bowness. Can't wait to visit again!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fairything
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield
#6 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
1 mi away
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#10 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
The Burn How Garden House Hotel
The Burn How Garden House Hotel
#4 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier Collection
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier C...
#8 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to The Ryebeck? Share your experiences!