“Very relaxing”
Review of The Ryebeck

The Ryebeck
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We have just returned home from a nights stay DBB at this lovely hotel. We took advantage of a travel zoo offer, so did not expect much from the room. It was room 30 right at the very top. Although it was very hot , weather so hot, it was comfortable . You could see that it had been refurbished, so was quite acceptable. Met our friends there, we had a warm welcome, even though we had to wait a bit. there was a large party there, so guess all staff were needed to attend.
Staff very friendly , a Cream Tea was included in price, plus a glass of Bubbly each. This was brought to us outside overlooking Lake Windermere. We really enjoyed it.
Dinner was excellent, a select menu, but something there to accommodate everyone's taste. We thoroughly enjoyed dinner, taste, presentation, & service. Wine list was varied as well.
Breakfast was okay, once again plenty to choose from, my bacon did not look appetising, but croissant was delicious.
In a very quiet position away from the hustle & bustle, so made for being very relaxing. Lovely gardens.
We are going back in October so that says something!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We have not stayed at this hotel, just there for dinner - it has a stunning location overlooking Windermere lake. We were in a small party for dinner. The food was excellent but the service left a lot to be desired. After being told "Chef is ready for you now" it was 45 minutes before the starters arrived. I do not wish to dwell on the detail of the problems. Suffice it to say that I believe that this hotel is the latest venture by the owners of Hipping Hall near Kirkby Lonsdale. We have stayed there and enjoyed excellent food and service. I know that they would be most concerned with the level of service in the restaurant at Ryebeck. The residents at the adjoining tables were highly amused by the difficulties which we encountered which only added to our discomfort during the evening. The hotel has so much going for it and I do hope that the management get a grip of service in the restaurant. Whilst sitting in the sunshine on the terrace before dinner we concluded that it would be a lovely place to bring a business colleague to stay for our annual get together. Last year was at Hipping Hall which was excellent. It was very sad that things started to go wrong as soon as we went into the restaurant.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank WILLIAM W
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We stayed for 2 days on a Travelzoo offer with dinner included both nights.

The setting of the grounds and the gardens themselves are lovely and the warm weather afforded the opportunity for sitting outside before and after dinner - the integration of this into your meal is good and they both come to get you once your order is ready and come and find you wherever you are in the lounges or outside after your meal to deliver coffee and sweets of some kind which was a nice touch. We were pretty lucky with the weather though as usually it rains in the lakes. The plum desert wine was divine!

The grounds are divided into cut and uncut areas and this is not a criticism at all .I wondered if they were undertaking a nature project and a sign explaining this if it were the case would have been useful. It looks recently planted and already looks lovely - in a year or two I am sure it will be fantastic. There is a fountain as the centrepiece but it was green with algae which is as I understand it toxic and probably not too good for children - a quick clean/filter would make it look a lot better as a centerpiece.

The reception staff are great but in my view let down by not having a proper reception area - when you come in it is not obvious where you go and who the staff and guests are. I don't want to sound too critical as I think they are trying a new informal approach where you walk into the office and mingle with the staff and get welcomed - bravo for being different but you urgently need a sign saying something like "for reception please walk this way or walk in you are welcome" or something as we felt a little uncomfortable on arrival simply because we didn't know the procedure and thought we might be walking uninvited into the hotel's administration office - with a bit of tweeking this informal approach might work well?

We were offered a 7 course tasting menu as an option for an extra £7 something each but there was a further £10 extra for the 7th course of cheese and biscuits which seemed a bit odd. It appeared to me that the better menu was the standard one and I couldn't help thinking that the tasting menu should have offered more interesting options and the main menu for standard ones? The tasting menu looked poor value for money in terms of the extra cost.

The food at dinner was as good as I have had anywhere if a little too gourmet for my liking being a meat and 2 vedge man but that's me - My wife had the fantastic Guinea foul which I will most certainly be ordering next time as I had assumed it would be small but was as large as any couple of chicken breasts could be and much tastier. I had the beef which was very tender and I am glad I took the recommended "medium" as it was a fillet rather than my preferred "medium-well done". It is very hard to fault the food if you like gourmet dining and this is amongst the best I have tasted anywhere - well done!

Breakfast was a little more basic but adequate and standard fair. The porridge was really nice. The cooked breakfast was uninspiring but adequate appearing to be local sausage/bacon etc. The wholemeal toast was delightful and the butter used throughout delicious. The choice of fruit was limited. I think they could improve the breakfast range and quality to match the high standards elsewhere - in a more average hotel it would be fine but here it didn't quite seem to the same standard as everything else.

The room was OK - mildly renovated but the bathroom was fair with an old suit but a fresh coat of paint - nothing to shout home about but acceptable - Our room was only a garden view room and the hotel may have better rooms on the lakeside and lower floors (we were in the attic).

The staff were attentive and helpful at all times. The only reason I have not awarded 5 stars is there was regrettably problems in the kitchen on our first night and service was very slow. The response to my complaint about this clearly showed that this was a rare combination of factors that had led to things falling far short of their usual standards (the manageress was really upset about it which really speaks for itself!). The service on the second night was excellent and other guests told us the service had been excellent every other night that week. The response to my complaint was very good and I have no doubt that after the return trip offered as compensation we will be awarding 5 stars here next time as so many other things were fantastic.

Thanks to all the staff for their efforts and I feel this hotel is well worth a visit if you like the best gourmet style food and attentive service. If you like egg and chips or meat and bowls of vegetables it may not be for you. Thanks for your effort and making our stay generally enjoyable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not in the attic - the garden view rooms although the cheaper option have a lovely gr...
1  Thank Friendlyman1
Reviewed 18 July 2014

This hotel, which looks very nice, offered deals on Travelzoo. I wanted to take advantage of a 2 night Dinner, bed and breakfast deal so bought the Travelzoo voucher, checked the hotel website and a few dates were available in August. I selected 3 and 4 August and rang the hotel about 12noon.Rang out for just over 10 minutes then I was cut off! Great! Rang back a little later and spoke to a female who asked what dates I wanted and I told her. She then told me there was a problem with the computer and she would ring me back later. I rang again at 6pm but hung up after 2 minutes with no answer. Rang the next morning and spoke to a young man who told me that NO DATES were available at all in August as they were fully booked. I then contacted Travelzoo for a refund. The deal was only published on Travelzoo the morning I first rang although it did say limited availability in August. Had it said no availability Then I would not have bothered. I therefore have no idea what this hotel is like but it seems Reception is a bit of a shambles.

3  Thank ianp923
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Just returned yesterday from a two day break in cumbria, staying at the Ryebeck hotel.
I am just recently bereaved in the loss of my Dad, and I wanted a few days away, to adjust.
I booked the Ryebeck for my Husband and I, through travel zoo and upgraded to a lake view room, with dinner on both evenings.
It was lovely, the hotel has just had a refurbishment, which was tastefully done yet simple and stylish. The lounges are very pleasant and the restuarant open and light. The rooms look to have a makeover with a lick of paint here and there, new bathrooms etc and I am given to believe this is a work in progress. Our room was small, clean and perfectly adequate for our needs with a lovely view.
The staff are so hardworking, and always pleasant, we were very impressed not to find one miserable face! I think that says a great team lives here!
The breakfast was limited on the help yourself table......eg fruits, nuts and seeds, but very good cooked options are available, my husband had smoked kippers on both mornings.
In the evening, one is offered canapé with pre dinner drinks, then seated in the restuarant where a pre selected menu is offered or a taster menu, we tried both. I personally preferred the smaller menu. You can also have wine matched to the courses and my husband was even offered beer/lager to match courses if he so wished. The food was very good.
The gardens around the hotel are beautiful, and the location great......it's about 15 minutes to walk into the center of Bowness. The hotel also provide local maps for walks at 60p my husband and I walked on said map to Brantwith fell, about 1.30 hours it was very nice.
Plenty of parking. And we also enjoyed a cream tea, which is a little bit lighter than the full afternoon tea, with choice of coffee/tea and scone with butter jam and cream and then a very naughty glass of prosecco ( which probably not always included)
I will for sure book this lovely hotel again, I have stayed in Storrs, Langdale Chase, Salutation and GIllpin Lodge and The Mac Donald and the Marina Village, each being very good and priced accordingly, but I found this hotel was lovely, friendly, modern and maintained a dated sophisticated feel also with great value for money to boot.
Thank you for a lovely break.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 11, with a lake view and a Juliet balcony,some of the general rooms looked very sm...
3  Thank Donna H
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel for a mid week break what can l say perfect food excellent hotel excellent garden's parking all good nice bar the weather was hot so outside areas snd seats was comfortable the breakfast was excellent and rooms was very clean well done we will be back .we have a hotel ourselfs and we know how hard people work .

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank andria410
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Took advantage of DBB offer on a Sunday night-1/2 bottle champagne waiting in room on arrival.
Pleasantly sited within easy walking distance of Bowness-either down the hill and along the lakeside walk or on the main road.
Large, landscaped gardens overlooking the Lake with big terrace and plenty of seating-perfect for a late afternoon glass of champagne!
Very well kept lounge and bar and the restaurant is well presented. Food was super with a good variety of choice.
Our room was spacious but extremely hot on arrival(full heating on in May!)-later sorted out-tea/coffee/home made biscuits etc. Some of the furniture was a little tired around the edges.
One gripe only-bill checked at departure and charged for someone else's 2nd bottle of wine! Again quickly rectified but not a big apology.
Would happily return and have stayed several times at the "sister" property Hipping Hall-excellent.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Andy W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Storrs Hall
Storrs Hall
#5 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#10 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
#6 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel
Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel
#7 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to The Ryebeck? Share your experiences!