“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Porto Restaurant

Porto Restaurant
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Award winning dining just a five minute stroll from the shores of Lake Windermere.
Durham, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

After being recommended this reataurant by the hotel we were staying at, we were looking forward to our evening meal. It is a lovely setting, placed in one of the little backstreets of Bowness, and we were shown our seats on arrival. The staff then watched us take our coats off, and we had to put then on our chairs, no problem there obviously isn't a cloakroom, then one of the tables nearby stood up, and their coats were given to them. The food was very nice, and on finishing the main course, I asked for the cheese board which was dutifully placed in front of me, the table next to me also had the cheese board but he also got an explanation of what was what on the cheeseboard which i didn't. We were then last to leave the restaurant, sped up by the staff clearly waiting for us to leave as they made cashed up the till. Little points in the long run, but it all adds up when paying top dollar for a highly rated restaurant, which ultimately disappiointed, mainly doe to poor customer service.

1 Thank stanleyhoops

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“delicious food, AMAZING service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

We arrived early in order to take advantage of the fixed-price menu but decided to order from the regular menu because everything looked so nice. Starters were fantastic, especially my miniature cottage pie, which was the best I have tasted bar my grandmother's! I originally ordered the cassoulet but when we asked if it contained alcohol, our waitress went to check with the chef, who offered to add no extra wine but that there was a little in the sauce base. I can't have any alcohol at all, so I had to change my order and they were very accommodating about this, even to the point where the waitress flew over and took away the red cabbage that came with my starter because she realised it had wine in it! We both had the pork platter which was incredible, and then when we asked [again] about the alcohol content of the dessert we wanted to share, she and the chef offered to make our dessert in two separate portions, one with the kirsch cherries and sauce and one without. The two desserts that arrived were quite large but she still only charged us for one. Nothing was too much trouble and it made a huge difference to my experience because so often waiters and waitresses get quite sniffy if you say you don't want alcohol in things. I'm sure anyone with food allergies/special requirements would find the staff at Porto equally helpful. It wasn't the cheapest meal I've ever had by a long stretch, but it was worth every penny. Wholeheartedly recommended.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Someone needs to get a grip! Advice from a chef!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

Ordered shellfish soup as starter.....but other soup arrived.....artichoke+red pepper. As staff busy+nobody came to the table,I ate it as it tasted okay. When wiatress arrived to clear plates I asked that she didn't charge me for shellfish soup but only for the soup I had eaten.She told me that I had eaten the shellfish soup+asked if I wanted to pass comment to the chef. I asked her to tell the chef that the soup had never seen a shellfish in it's life or even fish stock! I couldn't believe that she was insisting on telling me what I'd eaten,however I didn't want it to spoil the evening for me or my partner.
For the next course I had ribeye,rare,which was tiny but nicely cooked. Veg sent back as inedibly salty. 20mins later it came back but we'd finished! Basic,basic,basic! Not one word of apology+I will not be returning. This place needs sorting out.Ramsey+Heathcote(see back page of menu)would go ballistic!

4 Thank CarrieokkaNick
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Such fantastic value for superb master chef cookery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

The staff were lovely the food was fantastic, the best starter ever a take on the all day breakfast, including baked bean foam was superb, the plate of pork divine, the dippy egg and soldiers pudding was fun and delicious

Visited December 2013
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“A Lovely bit of Luxury for Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

Visiting Bowness for a couple of days in November and decided to grab lunch on the way back from a boat trip. It was wet, cold and misty. After avoiding the 'chain' style restaurants and heading into Bowness we, in desperation, came across Porto. What a surprise... European food with a local twist and wonderful value to boot. The staff were so attentive and the food delicious... try the ploughman's, not your typical pub style though! If you want a little break and a sit down you must try here.

Visited November 2013