“Absolutely Fantastic Restaurant”

Porto Restaurant
Price range: US$15 - US$26
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Just a five minute stroll from the shores of Lake Windermere. Serving food all day with indoor and outdoor seating areas
“Absolutely Fantastic Restaurant”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I booked this restaurant for our honeymoon visit to the Lake District due to the rave reviews on Trip Advisor. We weren't disappointed!

I requested a booth, which was great, it felt very private and intimate. We were seated near to the outside seating area which was lovely because the sun was still shining.
The staff were fantastic, they left us enough time to comfortably choose our food but didn't leave us long enough to wonder when we were getting served! They were attentive throughout without it feeling intrusive.

This was without doubt the best meal I have ever eaten. I chose the lamb and it was cooked just how I like it; it was absolute perfection. The accompanying jelly and puree were superb!
My husband chose the salmon and king prawn in a seafood bisque and said it was delicious.

For dessert I chose the sticky toffee soufflé (so yummy!) and my husband chose the brownie. The brownie was way too rich for me but he absolutely loved it.

Then out of the blue the waitress arrived with complimentary mini desserts with a congratulatory message written in chocolate. Such a lovely idea!

We left feeling wonderfully satisfied without feeling over stuffed and we've both raved about this restaurant to anyone who will listen ever since (and we only visited 3 days ago!!)

We will definitely be coming back to this restaurant when we return to the Lakes next January.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank deli_kim

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
North Shields, United Kingdom
“Great steak”
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Lovely service and a lovely steak meal cooked perfectly. Very nice atmosphere can't wait to come back.

1 Thank nmarie1976
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Best meal in the Lakes by far”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I agree with previous reviews, this restaurant was fantastic in every aspect. We hadn't booked for Saturday night but arrived early to secure a table. The wine list is great and my wife had the Gruyere soufflé starter which was divine. I had the Arancini starter which was also delicious. I had a melt in the mouth ribeye steak for main and sticky toffee pudding soufflé for dessert. Service was impeccable and the atmosphere romantic. I'd definitely recommend this restaurant for couples or a small group.

• Visited July 2014
Durham, United Kingdom
“Fabulous Food & service”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

A must if you are visiting Bowness on Windermere the food is superb and the staff so friendly and helpful. We would defiantly visit Porto again in fact wish we lived nearer to it as it is so good.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Sandra A
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Birthday meal”
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We booked a table a Porto on Saturday for my partners birthday,as we were staying in Bowness at the Old English.The food was lovely and of a very high quality.We loved the meal from start to finish,and I must say I was full to the brim having the rib-eye,it was cooked to perfection.My partner had the lamb.The staff are very friendly and attentive and the restaurant is lovely inside.So if you like fine dining then I suggest you give this place a try.The only criticism I have is after our starter and main course,we were to full to eat our dessert :-)

13 Thank illuminate322