“Lovely place to stay.”

Lindeth Fell Country House
“Lovely place to stay.”
Reviewed 9 May 2011

The hotel has a fabulous view over Windermere and the hills beyond. We stayed in Coniston the smallest of the double rooms but it was perfect. The bathroom was spotless and the bed was so comfortable. The staff are very helpful and nothing was any trouble. I would definitely recommend Lindeth Fell as a place to stay when visiting Bowness.

• Stayed May 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
St Ives, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2011

A beautiful location with a wonderful hostess. We stayed in the Grasmere which overlooked the lake and was beautifully decorated in all shades of blue. It is a short walk to Bowness where there are lots of shops, restaurants and pubs. We did a great tour of the pubs and then it cost us £5 (with tip) for a taxi ride back to the hotel. Breakfast was also very good. We can't wait to go back. A lovely vacation spot - not a business hotel. Nothing was too much trouble for the hostess.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
146 Thank Olicia
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2011

Being a geography student meant that in the week commencing 14th March 2011 I had what the university like to call a "reading week". Instead I went on holiday to get away from having to do work for the week and it was a decision I did not regret.

From the momen I arrived at Lindeth Fell I felt at ease (and that was just driving up the winding drive towards the front of the building!). On entering I was greeted and also probably shocked the lady a bit by my splendid youth, considering that this is the time of year when mainly retired people are on their holidays! Anyway, I was briefly shown where everything was then taken to my room and it turned out that I had been upgraded. Ker-ching! Not only that but the room was called Coniston, the precise name of the village that I hail from in Yorkshire.

The room was immaculate. Yes, immaculate. I don't think the word 'clean' quite emphasises enough how very clean it was. I inspected everywhere trying to find something that I could grumble to myself about but I could not find a single thing. There wasn't even so much as a loose hair in the bathroom. Not even an eyelash. I could have quite happily eaten a three course meal anywhere in this room, that is, the starter from the toilet seat, the main course from the bathroom tiles and the dessert from the plughole of the sink. Do you understand how clean it was now?

Everything in the bathroom was very modern and I could not wait to use the bath for it had been a long time since I had a luxury of a bath. I also wanted to try out the wonderful Gilchrist & Soames shower gel (gel douche) and the shampoo & conditioner that was there for me to sample. After that bath I smelt delicious. And dried myself on the big, fluffy white towels that are provided. I was so relaxed it was unreal. I then just sat on one of the chairs and looked out at the view of "Lake" Windermere on what was by far the warmest and sunniest day of the year so far. Ah, bliss.

The main part of my room was equipped with everything that you would ever need and I took advantage of most of them, flicking through their tourist attractions book to plan my stay, watching the TV for the sake of using the TV and drying my hair with the hair dryer provided (even though I'm bald). Just kidding.

By now, you probably get the picture, the room as a whole is compeltely equipped with your every need, every item of furnishing is of a high quality and the bathroom is, let's say, stunning.

On my first night I felt I should go into Bowness-on-Windermere for a meal and went down to the reception and asked what ways I could get there (having not had a car with me). I was given in depth knowledge of the area and decided to walk. One user commented in a review that the walk into Bowness-on-Windermere isn't great because there is "No footway for 450 yards". I can assure you that it's actually only 437 yards. But seriously, it is not a trouble at all since the roads are quiet even at the busiest time of day so walking into Bowness-on-Windermere (which takes around quarter of an hour at a stroll) is no problem at all and the landscape around you is serene and tranquil so it's a lovely walk.

On my return to the hotel that evening, fully replenished after my scampi and chip pub meal I came back to my room to find that I was greeted by my bedside lights switched on. I thought "oh crap" at first thinking I had left them on then realised that they had actually prepared my room for my bedtime as the bed had been turned down, curtains drawn and (like I said) peaceful lighting switched on. Wow. I was about to experience my first nights sleep at Lindeth Fell.

It was brilliant. Well, almost brilliant. I had so many pillows to snuggle with and the duvet was so lush. The only setback was that the duvet was of such high quality that it was actually quite an effort to, like, pull it over me. It was heavy, basically, but bloody comfy! Even though the rooms are joined on there is no noise to be heard from any adjacent rooms because the walls are so thick you can not hear them. So at least I didn't have to listen to other couples making love whilst I slept alone.

When I arose the next morning I was eager to experience breakfast (served betwee 8:15 and 9:45) but first I was to have my second bath in as many days! It was as good as the first. I then made myself a cup of tea (provided in the room) just because I could. And I watched BBC Breakfast just because I could. Plus I really like Chris Hollins.

So I went down to breakfast and I meet more new faces of staff who are quite simply the politest people I have encountered in my stay on this earth. Nothing was out of the question with them and I was positioned at my table and a couple of other couples were having their breakfast too. It was all very calm and soothing. The dining room overlooks the lake as well so you can quite happily and easily just spend breakfast staring out the window, sipping copious amounts of tea, thinking how wonderful nature is.

OK, so a quick rundown of the breakfast. You can pretty much have what you want, Lindeth Grill, porridge , porridge, Vegetarian Grill, cereal, white toast, Make Your Own Grill, brown toast, mixed toast. I felt like asking for jelly just to see if they did that. But I didn't. I sampled the Lindeth Grill and it was scrumptious. Presented beautifully and tasted wonderfully whilst I ate my 3rd helping of toast and drank my 5th cup of tea. You get the picture with breakfast. It's a fat man's dream. Love it.

This day I was heading out to Coniston, to see the namesake of my home village and possibly to mount the Old Man (no innunendo intended). The staff were once again more than happy to find out bus times, taxi prices, boat times and even more in order to help me have a lovely day out. And so I went to Coniston.

I won't give you the details of my stay in Coniston but I will tell you that I went to Keswick to watch Gilbert & Sullivan's 'HMS Pinafore' at the Theatre by the Lake on the evening. One review stated some sort of "curfew" by 11pm. Well, actually you just ask for a fornt door key if you are going to be out later than 11pm and it is no hassle. This is what I did and I arrived back shortly after 11pm and used my front door key provided. Basically, there is no limits on making you come back by a certain time, you are free to enjoy yourself into the night or early hours as you please. Again, I arrived back in my room and it had been prepared for sleep time, bins had been emptied and even the teabag and milk and sugar that I had used that morning for a cup of tea had been replaced. Attention to detail like this I have scarcely seen in my life.

I won't bore you with the rest of my stay, although if you have read this far then maybe you would like to hear what antics I got up to the following nights. I won't divulge this information though.

I will add that I got my newspaper delivered each morning and it happily sat there on my breakfast table waiting for me to join him and read him. It was quite funny because I read the Daily Mail and a lot of the other people predominantly read The Daily Telegraph and The Times. I don't think I'm quite there yet with these newspapers but give it a few years.

OK I'll round this review up now. To summarise, the setting for the hotel is beautiful, everything a country house should be. You feel at one with nature. The hotel itself is wonderfully furnished, exceedingly warm and inhabited by the friendliest of staff. The rooms are grand, spotless, cosy, relaxing and equipped. I can safely say I can't find a bad word to say about this hotel and would recommend it to anyone. The price you pay might seem 'pricey' but it is not without good reason as you benefit from every penny you have spent on the hotel. In fact, one last little tidbit of information. When paying for my stay at the end my bill was totted up and to my surprise I wasn't even charged for the delivery of the newspaper each morning, just the face value of the paper. So I'm thinking I might just live at Lindeth Fell so I never have to pay delivery for the Daily Mail.

Seriously though, bringing you full circle. I went away to relax instead of bein stuck at home forcing myself to do some university work. I was not disappointed and it really makes me want to be a retired person so I can laze around places like this all the time. Now, I must skedaddle because I have an awful lot of reading to catch up on and essays to be written.

Thank you Lindeth Fell Country House Hotel for a memorable stay.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
9 Thank RyanTaylor
Sheffield
Reviewed 15 February 2011

Stayed here for a long weekend and had a wonderful time. The staff, food, location and rooms were all excellent, can't wait for our next stay. Can also recommend the Masons Arms for food, about 10 minutes drive from the hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Bishop's Stortford
Reviewed 3 January 2011

We went for a three night break at Lindeth Fell between Christmas and New Year. The staff were all very polite, friendly and helpful. The food (both dinner and breakfast) was truly lovely and they couldn't do enough for us. Our room was very clean and well equipped, although the plumbing was noisy and it was very hot and so hard to sleep. It's an old building full of charm, but the open fires seemed to overheat the entire building. When I mentioned this to a member of staff, we were immediately offered a free upgrade to a room lower down in the building which was larger, with a bigger bed and better bathroom. It was also cooler, but we still needed the window open to sleep. Overall, we had a great experience here with a great view over Lake Windermere and the surrounding mountains. In summer, the gardens will look amazing. We would recommend it for a quiet break with the personal touch.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Traveldragon81
ENGLAND
Reviewed 24 November 2010

Just had my first visit to the hotel to celebrate a family birthday. We were looked after so well - particularly by Sheena. Nothing too much trouble. Very good home-cooked food. It just feels like a very welcoming family home. Lovely.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank stephenbillericay
Glasgow
Reviewed 3 November 2010

My wife and I had a very relaxing stay at this hotel. The staff were very attentive and saw to our every need. The whole place seems to exude calmness and relaxation from the moment that you arrive. Our bedroom (Windermere room) was spotlessly clean, large, roomy and it was quiet at night with no audible noise from other rooms. The bed was a superking size, which is six feet wide and with a very comfortable mattress that seemed to be memory-foam style. We both thought that the evening meal and breakfast food were to a very high standard. The hotel is in a beautiful country mansion surrounded by its own gardens and trees/shrubs etc that gives it a peaceful air.

There were a couple of minor downsides in our opinion. The atmosphere in the dining area was a bit of a letdown, partly because of the layout and partly the jaded decor. Also the hotel is about one mile from Bowness on Windermere along a narrow road with no footpath in places so walking to the town for an evening out would be a dangerous option, especially after dark.

Overall this hotel is relatively expensive but it does offer good value in our opinion because of the excellent service, general attention to detail and generally relaxed and calm atmosphere about the place; ideal for a romantic break.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel
Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel
#6 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
The Ryebeck
The Ryebeck
#3 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#9 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
#3 of 20 in Windermere
Storrs Hall
Storrs Hall
#5 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Lindeth Fell Country House? Share your experiences!