“great place, great food, great service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel

Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel
Lancashire
“great place, great food, great service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2011

Spent the night here with my wife in October having booked a special offer weekday D,B&B package at short notice. Now I'm a fussy bugger, but I really couldn't fault a thing. The food especially impressed me, as did the obliging staff. Living not too far away I wondered why the place hadn't appeared on my radar. But it's there now,

1 Thank David S
TonyHolden, Manager at Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 21 October 2011
Dear David S
Thank you for your lovely review of Lindeth Howe Country House. I have passed on your great comment about our Restaurant to Marc are Head Chef who is overjoyed that you enjoyed your evening with us.
The Team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the very near future.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Sunderland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2011

Stayed at the Lindeth Howe at the end of September. This was our second visit and it was just as good as the first time. The room was very nice but the outstanding memory was of the bed, it was huge and probably the most comfortable we have slept in in a hotel. The service and meals were outstanding and I would recommend this hotel to anyone. By the way I filled in a questionaire and left it in the bedroom on checking out and received a reply by letter thanking me for taking the time and noting my comments signed by the manager, now that's customer service!

1 Thank Stype56
Dear Stype56
Thank you for your great review of the Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel, it is fantastic to hear that you have had a great time with us, and I have passed on your lovely comments to the whole team at the Hotel.
As the Hotel Manager I think it is my responsibility to respond to all the guest questionnaire that are handed in to the Reception Team.

UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

We booked a long weekend at the Lindeth Howe as a special late treat as it was on offer with Voyage Prive inc 5 course dinner and 1 cream tea. First impresssions (once we had found it, as it's tucked away off the road) were good. We were shown around and taken to our room on the 1st floor. The room was as expected, very clean, pretty and well equipped with tea/coffee/biscuits etc. Our room was fine during the day with part view of the garden, part view of the car park, but as it was situated above the kitchens it wasn't ideal on a night time as the noise and smells drifted in. After a first night of poor sleep (which included being woken by the fire alarm at 1am) we did ask to be moved but the hotel was full. I agree with other reviews that the walls are thin and neighbouring tv's can be heard - fortunately our neighbours were pretty quiet. There isn't anywhere to walk to from the hotel on an evening as it's off a very dark unlit busy country road so you do have to take the car.

The 5 couse meal was amazing. Everything was perfect from the food to the service and the ambiance. The afternoon cream tea was a confusing affair as apparently "cream teas" and "afternoon teas" were two different selections. First we were served tea with biscuits and had to ask for the scones (embarrassing but delicious when they arrived). Then as everyone else was served "afternoon tea, comprising of sandwiches and cakes" we were unsure whether to go or stay. When we asked, we were advised that we should only have cream scones and not the sandwiches but as we were unhappy with the room they would throw in "afternoon tea" as compensation. That was really nice but embarrassing to have to ask what the process was all the same even though we were happy to pay for any "extras". The staff were all lovely from reception to service.

The grounds of the hotel are lovely but the weather was wet so not ideal for wandering around. The pool looked pleasant although we didn't get the time to use it.

We'd definitely go back to this hotel if it was on offer again but on the proviso that we were allocated a room at the front or lake view.

Room Tip: Don't go for a side room over the kitchens or near the car park at the back.
3 Thank FizzUk
Dear Fizzuk
Thank you for your kind review of the Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel, firstly please allow me to apologise for the confusion with regard to the cream tea and afternoon tea as these are two different selections, I am sorry that this was not explained to you correctly, and it also seems that we did not turn the extractor fans off in the kitchen in the evening, this would explain the noise in your room throughout the night.
On a more positive note it is fantastic to hear that you have had a great time in our restaurant and fully enjoy your dining experience with us.
I have passed on all your comments to the whole team at the Hotel and we are a little disappointed that on this occasion we had not quite me the high standards that we set for our self’s at the hotel

Richmond, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

The bathroom and room were dirty they were cleaned when I asked but we were made to feel as if we had done something wrong and it left a very sour note. We did ask for a change of rooms but we were told this was not possible yet after speaking to another couple we found they had changed rooms. We did not get bathrobes and had to ask tea and coffee as there was none when we arrived.Some staff were very friendly, the reception staff were not in this group, it felt like we were naughty children! We had intended for this to be a romantic break but we felt we were let down by the room and the staff.The food was outstanding and the meals even though they were very expensive, were the highlight of our stay. Would we stay again? Only if the cleaniness was improved.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tiggy24
TonyHolden, Manager at Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 12 October 2011
Dear tiggy24

Thank you for your comments about the Lindeth Howe hotel. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your dinning experience with us at the hotel, However we are all so very disappointed that your room was not upto your expectations. We are currently refurbishing our rooms at the moment, your comments have been passed on to the heads of department and the issuses have been dealt with.

Once again thank you
We hope to see you again soon

Paul Holden
Assistant Manager
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2011

Went to Lindeth Howe because a well-known travel site included it in their regular email bulletin as 1/2 price on certain dates. I phoned direct, asked the hotel for that deal on an unlisted date and they just said 'Yes'. Having booked it, I went to their website to check something and found that I could have gotten that date £8 cheaper still!
Nonetheless, the money was well spent and I'd struggle to find fault apart from the "swimming pool" being just long enough for 4 or 5 strokes before you need to turn.
I'd happily go again and encourage Tripadvisor readers to book it......but check the options!

Room Tip: As far as I could tell, it's quiet on all sides
1 Thank Poucant
Cambridge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2011

The location is good and the hotel public rooms very nice. The bar staff and dinner service were also excellent but the let down was the room. We had booked a very good deal in a superior room and maybe this was responsible for the room we were allocated. We were in room 123 which was a family room and I was surprosed it was calssed as superior. Nice and big but a let down as this was a romantic break for two so the extra beds spoiled the ambience. The view was also of the car park and not the gardens or woodland we expected. The room was pleasantly warm though and had all the extras you would expect such as bathrobes, tea, coffee biscuits. It wasn't until we were trying to get tp sleep that the problem was obvious the noise from next doors TV was excessive as we could hear every word. When knocking on the door did not allow me the opportunity to request the noice was reduced I had to go to reception in my dressing gown and ask if it was possible to move. The young lady did try to help but she said the only room available was on the second floor and was not generally used. Her colleaugue then phoned the gentleman and I was horrified to here him say that his neighbours had complianed and could he turn the TV down. This was all done with the best of intentions but the wording should have been less personal to avoid making it uncomfortable for both us and the gentleman as guests. Some staff training would solve this. On our final night we had new neighbours and had also been to the Theatre in Keswick so it was midnight when we returned. Unfortuntaley we had rather loud ladies next to us and had speaking noise until after 1am. So it would appear that this room has a general problem. I don't know if this is the worst room for this in the hotel or we were just unlucky with our neighbours but unfortumatley as it was meant to be a chance for some rest and relaxation it completely spoiled our holiday. I would expect that other rooms don't necessarily have this problem and the hotel is very pleasant otherwise so I wouldn't let this put y ou off just ensure you ask for a quiet room and avoid 123.

Room Tip: Worth having a view and avoiding room 123 for accoustics from room 122.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
TonyHolden, Manager at Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 1 October 2011
Dear ejs 1001

Thank you for your kind words about the hotel and staff at the Lindeth Howe. We were disappointed to here that your room was not upto your statisfaction, I would like to take this opportunity to appologise for this incident, all we can think of is that you had some noisey neighbours as i have not heard of any other incidents involving this room.
I have passed on your comments to all the staff.

We will look forward to seeing you again at the Lindeth Howe.

Kind regards

Paul Holden
Assistant Manager
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

Lived up to expectations and all of the positive reviews. A room upgrade was an added bonus! Food was wonderful with helpful and attentive staff. However the stay confirmed our opinion that if you are going to take a holiday somewhere where the weather is unreliable, then it is worth choosing a comfortable and relaxing hotel like this! We would like to return in the sun to enjoy the garden and grounds more.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view room if available
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TonyHolden, Manager at Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 26 September 2011
Dear Maybeboater

Thank you for your lovely review of the Lindeth Howe Country House, I have passed on your kind words to the team who are delighted you have enjoyed your stay with us.
Hopefully the next time you stay the weather will be a little better for you, and you can enjoy some time in the gardens.
Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
Linthwaite House
Storrs Hall
Storrs Hall
#5 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#9 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,744 reviews

Been to Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!