“"Quiet, relaxing charm, away from busy Windermere"”

Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel
HOWWOOD
“"Quiet, relaxing charm, away from busy Windermere"”
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Our second visit, where this hotel offers charm and character, avoiding the business of Windermere. It offers a cosy, country charm which for me is very relaxing. We had the taster menu which was delicious, admittedly we are foodies and enjoy experiencing new tastes and treats. The staff are professional and pleasant.
There is, as other reviewers have mentioned, the Beatrix Potter connection is tastefully presented and not commercialised like Windermere sadly appears to push in your face everywhere you go....There is a pool which is an added bonus and treat for a country hotel.

Room Tip: "Rooms with a lake view are obviously a bonus"
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Myself and my partner were booked for an afternoon tea for two using a gift voucher my partner had purchased for me. The hotel is located high above Lake Windermere and overlooks the lake with splendid views. The hotel is very well maintained and has the style of an earlier age which forms a great setting for a traditional afternoon tea.
We chose a seat by the window looking out into well kept gardens and were offered tea or coffee and given a menu to choose our sandwiches from. Everything sounded so good it was difficult to choose but we both decided on ham and mustard.
The food arrived in good time and look spectacular. A three tier stand with sandwiches, scones with jam and clotted cream and a good selection of inviting looking cakes. They tasted as good as they looked.
We had a leisurely lunch unhurried by the gentleman who served us, he was attentive offering us more tea but did not intrude. After our meal my partner asked some questions about the history of the house and he was very happy to talk to her about its past and the fact that it had been purchased by Beatrix Potter for her mother. There are many period photos on the walls of the Potter familly which add to the athmospere.
My partner and I have had many afternoon teas as you will see from my other reviews and this was definately one of the best. I would highly recommend that yop pay a visit especially if you are a visitor from abroad wanting a taste of a traditional English tea, you will not find better.

Room Tip: We did not stay overnight but from what we saw the rooms would be amazing
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh uk
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Breathtaking views added to the ambience of a warm summer evening when we celebrated a friend's birthday at this Country House .
From the start our visit flowed with a quiet charm .Drinks served on the lawn with yummy canapés ,then into the dining room for our meal .
The dinner was excellent from start to finish ..we asked for smaller portions and received them from efficient and friendly waiters
Because of the lovely weather we were fortunate enough to have coffee outside while watching a pink and peach sunset over the hills
Truly an unforgettable evening ...just as if we had been at friends for dinner
Yes e I'll go back!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2013

just been to this lovely hotel for afternoon tea 4 two. it was wonderful . excellent value for money and in a beautiful setting. hotel staff all very pleasent and helpful. will visit again. weather helped as we were able to enjoy our tea outside., but it woul have been very nice inside such a lovely building

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Cumbria, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Booked a night in a partial lake view room (at a supplement). When I booked I mentioned that it was my partner's birthday and wanted it to be a special treat for him.
Our welcome was distinctly lack-lustre and alas the room we were shown to was dated, dark, dreary and depressing. I'm sure you could have caught a miniscule glimpse of Lake Windermere if it had been possible to open the window more than an inch and stick one's head out but as it was we were looking across to staff caravans and the very unkempt gardens. Upon request we were (a tad reluctantly I felt) moved to a very nice room at the top of the house with a view of the lake which saved the day!
The hotel is not smart, elegant or in my opinion four star. It's more homely in decor and service is just not friendly enough.
The house must once have sat in beautiful extensive grounds with magnificent views towards the lake but the trees are now so high the view is diminished and the surrounding area quite built up with other houses. The grounds have such potential but the hotel clearly does not employ a gardener as they were in a terrible neglected and unloved state. Also at the front of the hotel are two aviaries full of poor little birds trapped in filthy conditions which I frankly found rather distressing!
The small indoor pool was full of local kids having a swimming lesson when we looked in and was not tempting enough to warrant a return visit to swim.
Dinner was quite enjoyable and I don't recall the portions being excessively small as other reviewers have mentioned but then the overall experience at Lindeth Howe was so unmemorable that very little stands out in my memory! Breakfast was quite good and the Spanish staff were very nice.
The only nod to my partner's birthday was a computer printed greetings card placed in the room sent "with Love" from the staff at Lindeth Howe! A nice enough gesture but rendered insincere by the somewhat inappropriate "love" to a customer who is a complete stranger! A complimentary glass of Prosecco would have put us more in celebratory mode!
Overall OK stay but with a final bill of £300 for one night, it was just not good enough and I wouldn't return.

Room Tip: Request a front facing room at the top to ensure a lake view.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank champagnesliv
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2013

My wife and I had an overnight stay at this lovely hotel and spar.

The welcome was good and inviting, even though we were an hour early.

Our room was ready and after a short tour of the facilities we were taken to the room, which was spotlessly clean, a very good size, the bed was excellent, (as well as enormous) and there was a very nice bathroom.

The windows opened fully, so that there was a good flow of air, and perhaps the only downside was that it overlooked the kitchen entrance, meaning that there were plenty of early morning comings and goings

The swimming pool was a modest size, but very pleasant. Changing facilities are limited, and a slight complaint was that there were no towels for us when we got out. After a telephone call to reception and requests to a couple of staff we were finally able to change.

Afternoon tea was good and nicely served.

We ordered the evening meal over a pre dinner drink in the bar, and I have to say that the food was exquisite and the restaurant service first class.

Many of the guests were foreign, and all appeared very happy with the hotel.

Breakfast was excellent and served by a very happy and pleasant staff once more.

All in all an excellent hotel for a short break, it is certainly not the cheapest, but then you expect to pay for quality.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I took my parents here overnight and for dinner for their Diamond Wedding Anniversary. The hotel is a little tired, the windows didn't open more than six inches and it was a hot summers day so very stuffy. The portions at DinnEr were very small and quite pricey so overall I don't really consider it value for money. Nice but don't think I'd return.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Spackers18
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#9 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
#6 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
#3 of 20 in Windermere

Been to Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!