“Excellent hide away.. Great for some together time”
Review of Lindeth Howe

Lindeth Howe
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Lindeth Howe on 16th August. This was a birthday treat for my husband. We arrived at noon and although checki-in wasn't until 3, we were invited to leave our luggage with reception and advised we could use the leisure facilities if we wished to do so.

The hotel is beautiful, quiet, in lovely grounds and the restaurant serves excellent food. We were in room 114" a superior room overlooking the gardens which was really spacious, spotlessly clean and had everything we needed. Nice touch is that the hotel placed a birthday card in the room and offered a turn down service.

The lounge has comfortable arm chairs, as does the bar. We had afternoon tea served by a very polite and attentive staff member before going to spend some time in Bowness.

We spent some time in the bar before dinner being served with an aperitif whilst we perused the menu and was served by a pleasant and chatty staff member, Warren. Our order was taken and we were shown through to the restaurant which offered a relaxed pleas ant ambiance with excellent service and quality of food. We have eaten in many high class restaurants, including Michelin starred and I believe the restaurant at Lindeth Howe to be one of the nicest for style and presentation. The food was of an excellent standard and the service was very good.

Overall, a lovely hotel with very pleasant staff, beautiful grounds, very good service and a bit of a hidden gem. Great for a special great. We will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: August 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,010)

Reviewed 12 August 2013

I purchased 2 afternoon tea experience vouchers at the cost of £60 for My Mother's 83rd Birthday and my Husband's 65th Birthday, the hotel was beautiful but the tea consisted of 2 finger sandwiches of our choice a scone with cream and jam and a very small brownie and a pot of tea certainly not worth £60 I was very disappointed and will not be repeating this experience at this hotel again.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Linda S
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Our second visit, where this hotel offers charm and character, avoiding the business of Windermere. It offers a cosy, country charm which for me is very relaxing. We had the taster menu which was delicious, admittedly we are foodies and enjoy experiencing new tastes and treats. The staff are professional and pleasant.
There is, as other reviewers have mentioned, the Beatrix Potter connection is tastefully presented and not commercialised like Windermere sadly appears to push in your face everywhere you go....There is a pool which is an added bonus and treat for a country hotel.

Room Tip: "Rooms with a lake view are obviously a bonus"
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Myself and my partner were booked for an afternoon tea for two using a gift voucher my partner had purchased for me. The hotel is located high above Lake Windermere and overlooks the lake with splendid views. The hotel is very well maintained and has the style of an earlier age which forms a great setting for a traditional afternoon tea.
We chose a seat by the window looking out into well kept gardens and were offered tea or coffee and given a menu to choose our sandwiches from. Everything sounded so good it was difficult to choose but we both decided on ham and mustard.
The food arrived in good time and look spectacular. A three tier stand with sandwiches, scones with jam and clotted cream and a good selection of inviting looking cakes. They tasted as good as they looked.
We had a leisurely lunch unhurried by the gentleman who served us, he was attentive offering us more tea but did not intrude. After our meal my partner asked some questions about the history of the house and he was very happy to talk to her about its past and the fact that it had been purchased by Beatrix Potter for her mother. There are many period photos on the walls of the Potter familly which add to the athmospere.
My partner and I have had many afternoon teas as you will see from my other reviews and this was definately one of the best. I would highly recommend that yop pay a visit especially if you are a visitor from abroad wanting a taste of a traditional English tea, you will not find better.

Room Tip: We did not stay overnight but from what we saw the rooms would be amazing
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Breathtaking views added to the ambience of a warm summer evening when we celebrated a friend's birthday at this Country House .
From the start our visit flowed with a quiet charm .Drinks served on the lawn with yummy canapés ,then into the dining room for our meal .
The dinner was excellent from start to finish ..we asked for smaller portions and received them from efficient and friendly waiters
Because of the lovely weather we were fortunate enough to have coffee outside while watching a pink and peach sunset over the hills
Truly an unforgettable evening ...just as if we had been at friends for dinner
Yes e I'll go back!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 July 2013

just been to this lovely hotel for afternoon tea 4 two. it was wonderful . excellent value for money and in a beautiful setting. hotel staff all very pleasent and helpful. will visit again. weather helped as we were able to enjoy our tea outside., but it woul have been very nice inside such a lovely building

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Booked a night in a partial lake view room (at a supplement). When I booked I mentioned that it was my partner's birthday and wanted it to be a special treat for him.
Our welcome was distinctly lack-lustre and alas the room we were shown to was dated, dark, dreary and depressing. I'm sure you could have caught a miniscule glimpse of Lake Windermere if it had been possible to open the window more than an inch and stick one's head out but as it was we were looking across to staff caravans and the very unkempt gardens. Upon request we were (a tad reluctantly I felt) moved to a very nice room at the top of the house with a view of the lake which saved the day!
The hotel is not smart, elegant or in my opinion four star. It's more homely in decor and service is just not friendly enough.
The house must once have sat in beautiful extensive grounds with magnificent views towards the lake but the trees are now so high the view is diminished and the surrounding area quite built up with other houses. The grounds have such potential but the hotel clearly does not employ a gardener as they were in a terrible neglected and unloved state. Also at the front of the hotel are two aviaries full of poor little birds trapped in filthy conditions which I frankly found rather distressing!
The small indoor pool was full of local kids having a swimming lesson when we looked in and was not tempting enough to warrant a return visit to swim.
Dinner was quite enjoyable and I don't recall the portions being excessively small as other reviewers have mentioned but then the overall experience at Lindeth Howe was so unmemorable that very little stands out in my memory! Breakfast was quite good and the Spanish staff were very nice.
The only nod to my partner's birthday was a computer printed greetings card placed in the room sent "with Love" from the staff at Lindeth Howe! A nice enough gesture but rendered insincere by the somewhat inappropriate "love" to a customer who is a complete stranger! A complimentary glass of Prosecco would have put us more in celebratory mode!
Overall OK stay but with a final bill of £300 for one night, it was just not good enough and I wouldn't return.

Room Tip: Request a front facing room at the top to ensure a lake view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank champagnesliv
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#10 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield
#6 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier Collection
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier C...
#8 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Lindeth Howe? Share your experiences!