“Fantastic food, lovely gardens overlooking Windermere”

Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Stayed as part of an overnight package including afternoon tea, dinner and breakfast.

Definitely worth a visit for the food, we had an absolutely beautiful five course evening meal and fantastic cooked breakfast. Afternoon tea on arrival by the log fire was a nice touch too. Very attentive staff.

Room and bed in particular was a good size, very comfortable and views over Lake Windermere. The small lounge/bar area was lovely and cosy.

Bit of a strange setup on reception, there is no reception desk. To check in and out you have to go into a very busy back office, which is not immediately obvious. There was also a private lunch function in the room adjacent to the lounge which was quite loud, would have easily been fixed by closing the doors to this area.

Otherwise we had a lovely romantic break and would recommend this place to friends and family alike.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
TonyHolden, Manager at Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Hello d0minic
Thank you for your great review of Lindeth Howe Hotel. I have passed on your comments to all the team at the Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

First impressions were the politeness of the reception staff having had a number of telephone conversations we were looking forward to our stay however we realised we had been emailing the wrong hotel we had actually been sending details to the Linthwaite hotel in windamere instead of lindeth How we somehow got confused.
our Daughter had booked the hotel for us as a gift as my daughter had been very ill and it was our daughters way of saying thank you to mum&dad on arriving we were met by Marta who was lovely along with Liz who both smiled and made us feel very welcome so after taking our luggage upstairs we came down for our afternoon tea only to hear several very loud children however children will be children. on returning back to our room we have to say it was immaculately clean we had a fantastic view. At 7.30 we made our way down to the bar were the Menus were brought to us by a very sullen older gentleman no greeting no pleasantries my husband asked for a particular wine the gentleman replied we don't have it in a grumpy voice it would have been customer friendly to suggest an alternative. we went through to the dining room no wine on the table eventually the bottle we ordered arrived and just left on the table for us to open and pour ourselves a glass the food was of a reasonable standard it was just the staff apart from Fred who was French which wasn't his real name he had a big smile and was very professional. The next day we went in for a swim at 10.30.am the pool cover was still on and the area had a strong smell of chlorine so much so it made your eyes water not good if you wanted to have a swim.so we decided to go for a long walk instead which was amazing the views were spectacular on returning we were exhausted and returned to our room for a sleep only to be disturbed by room service who walked into the room without knocking oh dear what next the evening came we went down for dinner this time we had a brilliant bar manager young man with the most beaming smile my husband again chose a wine which was out of stock but the chap was quick to recommend a different one which was excellent however yet again the wine was left on the table for us to pour ourselves were is the training for the staff they only had around 20 covers so no excuses for been busy. the next day we got up had breakfast then went to pay for our extras as the 2 days had been a gift we were greeted by the most miserable female member of staff who gave us the bill I was really cross as the gift our daughter had bought us was on the bill this was a gift and I know our daughter would not want us to know how much she had paid I understand later that a note had been left not to show this on the bill however this had been ignored I argued about the bill I have never seen a billing system quite like this one I would suggest they detail the bill a little better however I was very tired and felt that arguing wasn't getting me anywhere I came home and went through the account again and yes I was right I had actually been overcharged I called the hotel who in fairness apologised and did the refund straight away I would strongly recommend the director visits the Black Swan in Helmsley were the Manager Paul and his staff run a fantastic hotel I wonder if the director who ever that is reads the reviews I tried to find out his or her name without any success somebody needs to be front of house smiling chatting to visitors we felt we were intruding and that the staff simply could not be bothered what a shame I hope they take on board my comments as the hotel could be a little gold mine if they just spent some time with there staff and put thing in place. we will go back to Windamere as we loved the area and to be fair we loved the house and the view we had just spoiled by the majority of the staff. . . .

Room Tip: room 107 had a lovely view of the garden and lake
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank beauty026

Hello beauty026
I was sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us as much as you had hoped. We at Lindeth Howe try are upmost to make all our guests time with us an enjoyable one and on this occasion it seems we have not managed to do that. When you are next in Bowness on Windermere hopefully you will give Lindeth Howe a chance to redeem its self.

Reviewed 4 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night via a Travelzoo voucher which included bed, breakfast, small afternoon tea and dinner.
Our room had a large canopied bed and overlooked the lake-it was a little cool as it was a cold day and the large window was (appropriately) single glazed, but the bed was warm and the fluffy bathrobes helped to make lounging comfortable. We went for a swim when we arrived; the pool was empty and it was a lovely way to relax. The small afternoon tea was ample with lovely warm scones.
Dinner was nice; the waitresses were attentive and the only issue was the fact that we were seated in a line of tables with other couples which were very close together and made it difficult to create an intimate atmosphere over dinner.
We sat in the library after dinner which had obviously been recently decorated (judging by the smell of fresh paint) but was a little austere. Breakfast was very nice (though the home-made black pudding was extremely salty)
Altogether it was a lovely night away for a very reasonable price.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello TravellingManc_8
Thank you for your review of Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel. I have passed on your comments to all the team at the Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel very soon.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel as a Christmas present from our son and his wife. We received a warm welcome when we arrived at the hotel and were shown up to our spotlessly clean and pleasant room. The staff were friendly and efficient and the meals were delicious. We especially enjoyed our evening meal which was really excellent and well presented and our son had arranged for us to have a bottle of champagne with our meal which was the perfect finishing touch. Overall our stay was a lovely experience.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Susan R

Hello SusanR
Thank you for your lovely review of Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel. I have passed on your great comments to all the team at the Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel very soon.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Myself and my partner had booked a night away as treat as she is expecting our second child. This was meant to be a relaxing weekend away from the working week and a bit of adult time before the little one arrives.

We arrived at the hotel and the greeting was pleasant enough. We had paid for an upgraded room an extra supplement due to it being a Friday. We has also booked in for some treatments (both having a massage) we were told on the phone that the Friday would be the quietest day as we were debating between staying Friday or Saturday. We were also told that we would be having our treatments together rather than one wait for the other which was fantastic.

Once we arrived and had come down for afternoon tea we could hear the sound of children shouting/playing quite loudly to the point where me and my partner joked it was like being at home with our 3 year old.

After our afternoon tea we went upstairs to our room to collect our swimming clothes before the massages booked for 15:30pm. A receptionist led us to the pool area where there children in the pool having swimming lessons and parents all sat round the pool having a natter. We were left stood in the middle of the pool area by ourselves in the middle of the swimming lesson. Hardly the quiet weekend away we had been sold. My partner was concerned that a relaxing massage in a room next to a swimming lesson was hardly going to be worth the money we had paid.

We decided to leave the pool area and go back to reception. I asked a member of staff if we could have someone come to our room to explain why we was not told about this as we would gladly of came down on the Saturday instead. The member of staff said ok and we went to our room to wait. 20 min later still nobody had come to see us. My partner had become a bit distressed by this point as anyone with a heavily pregnant partner will sympathise. We were sold a relaxing weekend away and found ourselves confined to our room within an hour of being there.

Now generally we are not the types to complain we would simply pay the bill and never return however due to the amount of money we spent I felt this was not acceptable. I went downstairs to ask for the manager who I found to be slightly arrogant towards my concerns. He's answer was "I'll get rid of the children" like it was our problem not the hotels. we were asked to come back down and the treatments would take place. My partner reluctantly agreed and we were taken back to the pool area where parents were bringing their children out (wet hair and all) it was quite embarrassing and obvious that we had complained. A real uncomfortable situation for all.

We were told that only one of us would be able to have a massage due to the time that had elapsed. So I had a swim whilst my partner has a massage.

After that it was an uncomfortable stay for the remainder of our time and we paid extra to have our breakfast in the room the following morning.

No effort was made to apologise nor was any extra effort made by the manager and we were left feeling like it was our problem not theirs.

The hotel was lovely and the meal was absolutely fantastic however we found the service does not match the location, hotel or the price.

• Stayed: January 2014
3  Thank DGMorgan1

Hello DGMorgan1
I was sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us as much as you had hoped. We at Lindeth Howe try are upmost to make all our guests time with us an enjoyable one and on this occasion it seems we have not managed to do that. When you are next in Windermere hopefully you will give Lindeth Howe a chance to redeem its self.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Myself and my wife and her sister and husband took her mother to this hotel for a couple of nights as part of her 80th birthday celebrations. I can only say that this hotel is absolutely brilliant. The rooms were fantastic, really comfy beds and a great view, the foods was excellent, the breakfasts and dinners were superb and the staff were some of the best I have ever had the pleasure to meet - very professional and very helpful.
I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a bit of luxury in the Lake District.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Roywad

Thank you for your fabulous review of Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel, it’s great to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us.
The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Lindeth Howe in the very near future.

Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here on Saturday night after booking a special offer break through Groupon.

We started with a light afternoon tea and then checked into our room which had a lovely view of the gardens and down towards the lake. Dinner was amazing. We had the 7 course taster menu which was exceptional, thoroughly enjoyed the stone bass in particular.

Would highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Melissa O

Hello Melissa O
Thank you for your Lovely review of Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel, it’s great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
All at Lindeth Howe

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
Storrs Hall
Storrs Hall
#5 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#9 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
#6 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
The Burn How Garden House Hotel
The Burn How Garden House Hotel
#3 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!