We recently spent three nights at Lindeth Howe to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary, having stayed there on our honeymoon all those years ago. The hotel has obviously changed over the years, although it still retains its charm and comfortable restful setting.
We booked a suite and was more than happy with the room, it was very spacious, well appointed and with lovely views over the garden and the lake in the distance.
The service generally was very good and any queries were always quickly dealt with. We had dinner on the first evening and although the food was very good, however it is 'fine dining' and you feel left wanting more at the end of your meal. The service within the restaurant was mixed, we had some very good waiters and others who were not as attentive, this was especially so at breakfast when on some occasions people were left waiting while a table was prepared for them. One nice aspect is having tea or a drink in the gardens (weather permitting of course)
There a few oddities, like there being no main reception at the hotel, when you arrive you have to poke your nose around a door to an office where someone deals with your arrival. think they need to look at this. I also asked for a bottle of champagne to be in our room when we arrived and had to ask for this as they had forgotten.
It is about a 15minute walk to the centre of Bowness, which is OK if the weather is fine, but a taxi is sometimes a better option.
The hotel is not cheap, but I think overall is probably just about worth it for what you get and of course the location.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover peaceful surroundings and breathtaking views of the English Lake District at Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel. Located within walking distance of the lakeside village of Bowness-on-Windermere, Lindeth Howe overlooks Lake Windermere, the largest lake in the country and the Cumbrian fells beyond.This unique 4 star country house hotel was once owned by the best-loved children's author Beatrix Potter, and boasts 34 beautiful bedrooms, cosy lounges and a fantastic 2 AA Rosette Dining Room which is also open to non residents. Guests are also invited to relax by our indoor pool, sauna, fitness room and indulge themselves in various body treatments and massages. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, Priceline, Hotels.com, Lastminute, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Superbreak UK, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lindeth Howe Country Hotel
- Lindeth Howe Country Windermere
- Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel Bowness-On-Windermere, England - Lake District