We recently spent one night on a Dinner, Bed & Breakfast basis under the terms of a national newspaper's Wine, Dine and Stay promotion. Given this we did not expect our room to be in the top category. Our 'Superior Double' was a loft room, inadequately lit and with only just sufficient space. The ensuite facilities were fine.
Regretfully dinner did not meet our expectations: my wife's smoked trout remoulade was spoiled by an excess of vinegar in the dressing, and my sauteed wild mushrooms on a toasted brioche was undistinguished. We both had Goosnagh duck for our 'main' course. The leg confit was tasty and succulent, but the breast verged on being tough. The plum sauce, however, redeemed this course overall. Our dessert of lemon meringue slice was pleasing, although to our palate the meringue topping would have benefited from being more crisp. At £ 38. 50 each we felt that dinner was a tad expensive. As a plea in mitigation we overheard that the Head Chef was on holiday.
The swimming pool was ideally suited to our level of swimming; the public areas of the hotel were clean and tastefully furnished, and the heavy snow outside made the log fire in the lounge bar all the more warm and welcoming. The dining room staff were friendly, but on occasion Reception seemed understaffed.
Overall, however, our experience did not match some of the glowing comments in the visitors' book.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover peaceful surroundings and breathtaking views of the English Lake District at Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel. Located within walking distance of the lakeside village of Bowness-on-Windermere, Lindeth Howe overlooks Lake Windermere, the largest lake in the country and the Cumbrian fells beyond.This unique 4 star country house hotel was once owned by the best-loved children's author Beatrix Potter, and boasts 34 beautiful bedrooms, cosy lounges and a fantastic 2 AA Rosette Dining Room which is also open to non residents. Guests are also invited to relax by our indoor pool, sauna, fitness room and indulge themselves in various body treatments and massages. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Ebookers, Priceline, Lastminute, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, Superbreak UK, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lindeth Howe Country Hotel
- Lindeth Howe Country Windermere
- Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel Bowness-On-Windermere, England - Lake District