We stayed here for one night and have to say that we won't be returning! When booking we were told they only had one double room left, which to be fair we were told was very small with only a shower. As such we were offered a discounted rate of £130 on a dinner, bed and breakfast rate.
Having read the reviews regarding the food and general standard of the hotel we were looking forward to our stay.
However... upon a arrival we were shown to a room which was drastically below the standard you would expect from a hotel with these crudentials - or indeed any professional establishment - it had damp patches, peeling wallpaper, chips out of the furnishings and stank of bleach!
The bathroom hadn't been decorated/upgraded since at the 1960's and bed linen was 100% polyester.
When we raised the issue of the bleach/chlorine smell we were told that housekeeping could spray some air freshener to see if this would rectify the situation - which we declined! Unfortunately there were no other rooms available so we were stuck with what we had!
Despite the severe disappointment with our room, we looked forward to sampling the 'fine dining' experience. We have eaten a number of restaurants which held the same accrediation as Lindeth Howe - however the standard of food and service was well below what we would have expected - especially at £40 a head!
Even though we were told our rate had been discounted, I feel like I was severely ripped off!
Both myself and husband left with a stomach upset - which we can only attribute to something we consumed during our stay, as we had spent the previous week apart.
In summary - we would have paid to avoid this hotel - don't believe the reviews and book into Storrs Hall - which really does do what it 'says on the tin!'.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover peaceful surroundings and breathtaking views of the English Lake District at Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel. Located within walking distance of the lakeside village of Bowness-on-Windermere, Lindeth Howe overlooks Lake Windermere, the largest lake in the country and the Cumbrian fells beyond.This unique 4 star country house hotel was once owned by the best-loved children's author Beatrix Potter, and boasts 34 beautiful bedrooms, cosy lounges and a fantastic 2 AA Rosette Dining Room which is also open to non residents. Guests are also invited to relax by our indoor pool, sauna, fitness room and indulge themselves in various body treatments and massages. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lindeth Howe Country Hotel
- Lindeth Howe Country Windermere
- Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel Bowness-On-Windermere, England - Lake District