“Friendly hotel. Great food”

The Burn How Garden House Hotel
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We stayed here for two night break, the first being at a special offer rate, including dinner with wine.

The food was quite simply superb and the breakfast fare hard to beat.

The 3 course dinner was effectively four, with the extra nibbles provided, and the wine offered matched the high quality of the food.

The breakfast buffet options included an excellent array of fresh fruit with the local blackberries being especially delicious. This was followed by a well cooked breakfast with good options if you can't manage a full English.

The accommodation was also very comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
officebh, Manager at The Burn How Garden House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to send your review it is nice to read that you enjoyed the package that we offered.

Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

My partner, my teenage son and myself stayed here for 1 night as we had a wedding across the road. Now I like to write reviews as being a non complainer and I like to give a proper honest review. We booked this last minute after reading reviews in 1 already booked and being put off. So we cancelled and booked this having fantastic reviews.

We got there a little early for check in but our room was not ready as we expected. we were allowed to park outside our challet ready though. And the lovely cleaning guys did offer to clean our room imediately si we could get in but we were in no rush.
Location is great. Rooms very big where you can sleep a family of 5 in proper beds. 1 double, 1 single and bunk beds. Beds so comfy where I didn't want to get up in the morning.

Now for the negative part :( which I don't like to write. I was looking forward in the morning for the so called award winning breakfast. We all ordered the same breakfast (which shouldn't be difficult). 1 of us was missing sausage another was missing bacon 1 was missing fried bread and 1 of us got 1 egg while others got 2 eggs. Was almost like 1 breakfast and they split it between 3. Then you feel bad saying where's my sausage oh and where's my bread etc etc. (well i do anyway as i said i hate to complain and have people rally riund after me feeling like a nuisance).
I understand people like there eggs cooked differently especially being an ex chef myself but my egg was raw. Oh I like my egg runny but the white was Like jelly and I just couldn't eat it! My bacon was so crispy it snapped when I cut it (very over cooked) mushrooms a little tasteless. Was very upset after hearing it had won an award. Again I barely ever complain and love my food when others complain.
The fruit juice was nice and so was the tea. There seemed to be a good selection of fruit available and some cinnamon swirls to choose from.
My partner enjoyed but then he was enjoying the sausage that myself and son didn't get to try. I'm sorry but my breakfast was pants!

The waiters and waitresses were very nice and brought you extra toast if needed.
Overall all its a great place to stay and I probably will stay here again due to the nice spacious clean rooms and location. If I'd have had a good breakfast I'd say the price was good for 1 night.
So please don't be put off by my review, I only wanted to be honest. I just hope next time I can give it an excellent.

• Stayed: June 2013

It was with disappointment that we have read your review concerning your breakfast, and feel it is a great shame that although you felt you didn't want to put anyone out, that you had not mentioned this to any of the staff so we could have had a chance to rectify this at the time.
Thank you for taking the time to make your review and it was nice to read that you will visit us again, where you will hopefully enjoy the breakfast that so many other guests have have given good reviews for.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

We stayed here for a relaxing two night break. This hotel fully met that objective. However the visit did not start very well. We were under the impression that we were to by given a disabled chalet (I am disabled). On arrival we were told that this was not possible but we would be given a ground floor room in another building. As we entered this room I was ready to have a good old moan with mutterings of what I was going to say on my tripadvisor review. These feeling immediately melted away. The room was large, well decorated, with a lovely view over what seemed to be 'our' garden. The bathroom looked very new and was equipped with a walk-in shower. There was plenty of storage space and two very comfortable chairs. All-in-all a very acceptable room.
We had dinner included in the price on our first night. The food was superb, We would not hesitate to recommend dinning at this hotel. In fact we took our own recommendation and booked dinner for the second night of our stay. Again this was an altogether excellent dinning experience.
The staff were very friendly and nothing seemed to much trouble for them.
The weather was beautiful whilst we were there and we had pre-dinner drinks on the terrace in the early evening sunshine (something of a novelty for the lake district in our experience). The terrace needed work on the flags as many of them were uneven and some were loose.
The guests were of an age where late nights and discos were not required and the bar was empty by 1015pm so if early nights are not your style - be warned!
This hotel is a gem in an area where there are many good/very good hotels.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

We apologise that the start of your stay with us had a hiccup, and it is was so nice read that the ground floor room that had been allocated to you was suitable, and that you found the rest of your stay and the meals enjoyable. Thank you for your feedback concerning the patio and we certainly be looking at this. Thank you for taking the time to send us the review and we hope you will return in the future

Reviewed 20 June 2013 via mobile

Here at the moment.beautiful gardens, lovely rooms . Smashing breakfast.staff very eager to please. Mostly elder guests here which is fine they are quiet and well manored with great story's to tell.if you want a few days to chill out with lovely scenery and good service then you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 20 June 2013 via mobile

Breakfast like a king watching the birds on the bird table. Fresh fruit to kippers. Very nice small gardens to look over from your balcony. Short walk to the lake or a restaurants. Over all a nice place to stay. The average age of the guest is over 80 with stories to tell. my wife was impressed by the rose themed loo. I liked the small range of whiskey.

• Stayed: June 2013

It is nice to read that you enjoyed your breakfast, and the choice of whisky, and that your wife was impressed with our rose loo

Reviewed 14 June 2013 via mobile

This was our 2nd visit to Burn How and it was every good as the first. This visit was for our 24th wedding anniversary and once again we were made to feel special. The room we had (the rose garden) was amazing,ultra stylish and super clean. The restaurant is wonderful as is the food and service. Altogether a fabulous stay. We will be returning again next year.

• Stayed: May 2013
officebh, Manager at The Burn How Garden House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

We do try to make all our guests to feel special but we make it extra on a special occasion. It is lovely to read that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again next year.

Reviewed 12 June 2013

We managed to get a last minute room having looked and found no other suitable places in Bowness. The few we found had a minimum 2 night stay and where quite expensive so we were very pleased to get a room for a single night at a very reasonable price. It included all the basics you would expect of a 3* AA rated hotel, clear room, comfy bed etc. The room included breakfast which was good and had quite a few choices to suit everyone. The hotel is located 5 minutes walk from the town center and the lake so was an idea location.
Would highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for something basic and not expensive. Note, even though the hotel website did not show any availability, we still managed to get a room after giving them a call so would recommend you do the same!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

It is best to contact the hotel direct because things can change quite quickly. Usually it is a two night minimum stay but we try our best to accommodate people. Thank you for your lovely review.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield
Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield
#6 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#10 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
#4 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Windermere Hydro Hotel
Windermere Hydro Hotel
#11 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to The Burn How Garden House Hotel? Share your experiences!